The Student Room Group

Geology & Earth Sciences 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Gizos
good choices :biggrin: what AS did you do? (If you said these earlier oops but I was just wondering how many people have done say geography or geology as I haven't)

Haven't said this previously, my AS's were Physics Maths Biology Geography. I dropped Biology at A2
Reply 61
Hi,
I am thinking of putting together a short magazine on geology/ Earth Science so as to celebrate Earth Science week (which is currently taking place). However, I cannot do it all by myself and I would appreciate it if all you budding geologists would write a short piece (i.e. greater than 250 words) on anything to do with the subject. A few examples are detailed below:
- Why you want to/ have studied geology?
- What is your favourite topic in geology? Why?
- What have you done to further your knowledge of the subject?
- An article on any geological phenomenon would be great as well.
If you would like to write, then please send a copy of your work to [email protected] by 18:30 on Friday 17th October 2014. Editing will then take place and the magazine will be published on Saturday. There is no need to say that any writing will look good on UCAS etc…
I hope that you decide to write for us.
Thank you.
Original post by Tasser
Hi,
I am thinking of putting together a short magazine on geology/ Earth Science so as to celebrate Earth Science week (which is currently taking place). However, I cannot do it all by myself and I would appreciate it if all you budding geologists would write a short piece (i.e. greater than 250 words) on anything to do with the subject. A few examples are detailed below:
If you would like to write, then please send a copy of your work to [email protected] by 18:30 on Friday 17th October 2014. Editing will then take place and the magazine will be published on Saturday. There is no need to say that any writing will look good on UCAS etc…
Thank you.

What's the purpose of this Magazine? I'll be happy to write something, but it'd be nice to know what you're going to do with it and what the audience is!
Reply 63
Hi Chlorophile,
Thank you so much for the reply.
The audience will mainly be young people (sixth former students and below). The main point part of the magazine will be to encourage more people to get involved with the subject, and also to 'celebrate' Earth Science week.
I will place a copy on ISSUU and email the Geological Society to see if they could include it in their blog. There will also be other methods of publicising it ( I will tell you at a later date).
Thanks once again.
Original post by Tasser
Hi,
Thank you.

I am happy to have a go at writing something if you are still looking for people! Is there any particular subject that you are in shortage of or will anything do?
Reply 65
Hi alicerose2,
It would be great if you could write for us. You can write on anything that you are interested in, as long as it is related to Geology!
Thanks.
Imperial has offered me an interview! And I just got an offer from Bristol! So exciting!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 67
well done
Reply 68
I've got 10A*'s and an A at GCSE,
AAAA at AS
A*AAA prediction.

Applied for geophysics at:
Imperial
UCL
Durham
Leeds
Southampton

Anyone got any advice on where I have a good chance and which you would recommend??
Reply 69
Original post by lukemags
AAAA at AS
A*AAA prediction.

Imperial
UCL
Durham
Leeds
Southampton

Anyone got any advice on where I have a good chance and which you would recommend??

You have a good chance with all, especially with those AS and predicted grades. It entirely depends on what course structure you like. Personally I prefer Imperial as a uni but UCL's course.
Why is Geophysics so popular all of a sudden? It seems that practically everyone here's applying for it!

Also found something slightly amusing on Imperial's ESE scholarships and bursaries page. Go here and scroll down until you find the BP Scholarships section. Read the description and you'll understand!

Original post by Tasser
Hi Chlorophile,
Thank you so much for the reply.
The audience will mainly be young people (sixth former students and below). The main point part of the magazine will be to encourage more people to get involved with the subject, and also to 'celebrate' Earth Science week.
I will place a copy on ISSUU and email the Geological Society to see if they could include it in their blog. There will also be other methods of publicising it ( I will tell you at a later date).
Thanks once again.

Sent!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 71
AAAA at AS
A*AAA prediction.

Imperial
UCL
Durham
Leeds
Southampton

They are all really good choices. TBH they seem to be virtually the same as everybody that has top grades and wants to do Geophysics. Mine were the same as yours except Oxford instead of Leeds but I did really consider Leeds at one point!

By the look of it you have a good chance at any of them especially as theres a variety of normal conditional grades at each of them
Reply 72
Hi,
Check out the 'quick' geology magazine here. It was compiled in under a week, so I hope it is OK.
http://issuu.com/quickgeology/docs/geology_magazine_1/0
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Reply 73
Original post by Gizos
They are all really good choices. TBH they seem to be virtually the same as everybody that has top grades and wants to do Geophysics. Mine were the same as yours except Oxford instead of Leeds but I did really consider Leeds at one point!

By the look of it you have a good chance at any of them especially as theres a variety of normal conditional grades at each of them

thanks, that was useful
Reply 74
thanks, that was useful

The problem with the internet is that I'm not sure whether this is sarcastic or not? :/
If anyone's interested, here's the 2014-2015 admissions information for Imperial's ESE department, with details of interview dates. They shortlist around half of applicants to interview and using last year's statistics and assuming approximately the same number of people attend each interview session, you can expect around 15-20 people on each interview day. On the basis of last year's stats, around half of the people interviewed eventually attend the university, although there isn't any data on how many offers are given out. There's no information on what the interviews will entail though - I'm not sure whether to prepare for an academic interview or not? That wasn't the impression I got from their open day, but I find it hard to believe that it wouldn't be an academic interview given that all their other departments do this.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 76
Does anyone know if imperial have ever accepted anyone for geology through adjustment?
Original post by jessocx
Does anyone know if imperial have ever accepted anyone for geology through adjustment?

I know that Imperial didn't take part in Adjustment this summer and I think this is normally the case. In 2013, apparently Biology and Biomedicine took part though.
Reply 78
Original post by Chlorophile
I know that Imperial didn't take part in Adjustment this summer and I think this is normally the case. In 2013, apparently Biology and Biomedicine took part though.

ahhh thanks! i've not got the right predictions for it, so can't apply but ahh well!:smile: if i go to a different uni I hope i'll get in to do the petroleum engineering Msc there!:smile: thankyou anyway!
Reply 79
Original post by Gizos
The problem with the internet is that I'm not sure whether this is sarcastic or not? :/

No, it was genuinely useful. Nice to know people are in a similar situation :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending