The Student Room Group

Southampton BM5 2015 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Anyone else kind of surprised Southampton don't have as high UKCAT boundaries as somewhere like Newcastle? They have similar selection procedures (academic screening -> ranking applicants on UKCAT)but Newcastle seems to have attracted the best scorers, and therefore gained this reputation as a very UKCAT heavy medical school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ja1
Anyone else kind of surprised Southampton don't have as high UKCAT boundaries as somewhere like Newcastle? They have similar selection procedures (academic screening -> ranking applicants on UKCAT)but Newcastle seems to have attracted the best scorers, and therefore gained this reputation as a very UKCAT heavy medical school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it could be because Southampton want an A in the 4th AS (not taken to A2) which sort of implies most candidates applying will have 4As at AS (not all med applicants have this) so people without this 4th A at AS cant apply

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
I just read the update on the website, should I consider applying with 2650?
Original post by Ashkun

I think so

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 84
Original post by Ashkun

Go for it
Original post by ja1

Posted from TSR Mobile

We've only done it this way for year which is possibly why!

Original post by ellipsis...
I think it could be because Southampton want an A in the 4th AS (not taken to A2) which sort of implies most candidates applying will have 4As at AS (not all med applicants have this) so people without this 4th A at AS cant apply

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't need 4As at AS :nah:. As long as you're predicted AAAa then they dn't really care about your AS grades.
Original post by Neostigmine
We've only done it this way for year which is possibly why!

You don't need 4As at AS :nah:. As long as you're predicted AAAa then they dn't really care about your AS grades.

I emailed them about this and they don't take into account any resit of the 4th AS. If you do EPQ then they will accept an A in that in place of the 4th AS.
Do you think its worth applying to Southampton with 655 UKCAT? I think its risky but really stuck for a fourth choice that I meet the criteria for
I applied with a UKCAT of 670 (total of 2680). Their website says the total mark is down 200 and last years cutoff was 2800. I phoned them but they won't confirm the lowest UKCAT they will cutoff at. Reading between the lines I think it's worth the gamble and expect they'll go down to 2600. Good luck, it's a minefield!!
Original post by richsiobhan
I applied with a UKCAT of 670 (total of 2680). Their website says the total mark is down 200 and last years cutoff was 2800. I phoned them but they won't confirm the lowest UKCAT they will cutoff at. Reading between the lines I think it's worth the gamble and expect they'll go down to 2600. Good luck, it's a minefield!!

Thanks for the advice, I sent off my application today and Southampton was on there. Good luck with your applications too :smile:
Should I apply with 2690?
Original post by Grad1202
Should I apply with 2690?

They're expecting the lowest score to drop by~200 bringing it down to 2600. I'd say you've got a good chance :smile:
GCSEs: 10A* 2As
AS: AAAA
PRedicted: A*A*A
Ukcat:695

D you think its worth applying? if not, where would you recommend?
i dont have very much work experience though whichis a problem. Are they quite heavy on this?
Original post by Anon12345678
GCSEs: 10A* 2As
AS: AAAA
PRedicted: A*A*A
Ukcat:695

D you think its worth applying? if not, where would you recommend?
i dont have very much work experience though whichis a problem. Are they quite heavy on this?

Your grades and UKCAT look good. That UKCAT should get you an interview if the predictions are right. PS is only used to shape interviews so this shouldnt be a problem. They may want to make sure you have realistic ideas though :smile:
Reply 95
anyone gotten a confirmation letter?
Original post by mister K

Nope

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mister K

A few people who applied earlier have confirmation post cards but not very many :nah:. It takes a while. Be prepared for 6 months of waiting for various letters etc :sadnod:
Hello

I would just like to ask if Southampton accepts any late applications. On their website, it says they don't unless you have a good reason but I would like further clarification on this.

Thanks
Original post by Exhale3451
Hello

I would just like to ask if Southampton accepts any late applications. On their website, it says they don't unless you have a good reason but I would like further clarification on this.

Thanks

As a general rule, no but they'll decide on a case by case basis. I think it'd have to be pretty substantial for them to accept reasons.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending