The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6940
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Yeah, I agree! I went to a Latin Mass (not sure if it was Tridentine or not, but everything was pretty much in Latin and they faced the altar with their backs to the congregation a lot :dontknow: ) in Oxford. It was a bit of a surreal experience :colondollar:

Yeah, that'll be Tridentine. The idea is that the priest is leading the offering at the front of the congregation, but idk, I just felt rally cut off from it all.
Original post by Aula
Yeah, that'll be Tridentine. The idea is that the priest is leading the offering at the front of the congregation, but idk, I just felt rally cut off from it all.

Yeah, I was just like :dontknow: I can see why the pre-Vatican II crowd might find it more reverent but I prefer to know and understand what's being said and am just too used to having the priest face me :tongue:
Btw peeps, if we could all keep donutaud15 in our prayers, that would be good :yes:
I'm a bad Catholic. :emo:

- Daily Mass, preferably the old Latin Rite Nop
- Confession often Not for 15 years
- Daily prayers, especially the daily Divine Office Nop - what the heck is Divine Office?
- The Rosary, preferably in Latin Nop
- Wearing an Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Scapular daily Nop
- Carrying a Rosary, St. Benedict Medal, and Miraculous Medal on your person Nop
- Carrying a small Douay Rheims Bible with you everywhere you go Nop
- Prayerful reading daily - The Holy Bible, Butler's Lives of the Saints, saint biographies, and other thoroughly Catholic books Nop
- Some form of volunteer work - soup kitchens, etc. Nop
- Charitable giving of time and money to worthwhile Catholic causes, such as Catholic Charities Nop
- Modest dress, behavior Sort of
- Solitude, quiet, and prayerful meditation Nop
- Listening to Gregorian Chant, choral music, etc. Nop, but I do like Christmas carols
- Pilgrimages to holy sites, such as Fatima, Rome, Jerusalem, etc. I went to Easter mass in St Peter's Square once. I didn't listen to a word of it because it was in Italian - not sure this counts.
Reply 6944
Original post by Samual

Honestly, this doesn't make you a bad Catholic.

And something really important to remember (that I forgot I say earlier) is that the church should be a hospital - it's for the broken and the healing.
Original post by Aula
And something really important to remember (that I forgot I say earlier) is that the church should be a hospital - it's for the broken and the healing.

Aw, hope so. :fallenangel: :lovie2:
Original post by Samual

Dw bout that list. I think Aula's right to tell us not to get into a sweat over it. Aula is very wise :yep:
Dw bout that list. I think Aula's right to tell us not to get into a sweat over it. Aula is very wise :yep:

Hah don't worry, I was only joking. The truth is I don't believe any of that is necessary. Being a good person is what counts.
Original post by Samual
Hah don't worry, I was only joking. The truth is I don't believe any of that is necessary. Being a good person is what counts.

Precisely! That was my thought on the matter too! My primary school's motto (when translated from the Latin) was "show your faith by the way you live". It stuck with me coz if you're Catholic but behave like a complete arse to other people, then you're not bringing anyone to Christ or using Him as your example :no:
Belated (?) wishes for the Feast of St Teresa of Avila, mystic and Doctor of the Church :love:

I can never remember whether it's on the 14th or 15th and seem to get conflicting ideas/info each year :colondollar:
Reply 6950
Belated (?) wishes for the Feast of St Teresa of Avila, mystic and Doctor of the Church :love:

I can never remember whether it's on the 14th or 15th and seem to get conflicting ideas/info each year :colondollar:

My phone (which has universalis on it) says today!
Original post by Aula
My phone (which has universalis on it) says today!

:ahee: :dance: :yay:
I had a conversation yesterday evening about the Italian tradition of each town/city having a saint and the saints day being a local holiday. We then struggled to think for many places of who the saints for each city or town here in the UK might be if you adopted the same tradition.

We thought probably St Thomas More for London, Blessed John Henry Newman for Birmingham, St Margaret Clitherow for York, and St Jude for Luton, and I am aware of St Nicholas for Aberdeen. I wonder whom you'd consider for other towns/cities.
Reply 6953
Original post by barnetlad
I had a conversation yesterday evening about the Italian tradition of each town/city having a saint and the saints day being a local holiday. We then struggled to think for many places of who the saints for each city or town here in the UK might be if you adopted the same tradition.

We thought probably St Thomas More for London, Blessed John Henry Newman for Birmingham, St Margaret Clitherow for York, and St Jude for Luton, and I am aware of St Nicholas for Aberdeen. I wonder whom you'd consider for other towns/cities.

I have a nice easy one - St Albans for... St Albans!
There is an annual weekend festival for his feast day with a big parade involving puppets which tell the story of his martyrdom. Well worth a google, if only for the executioner with his eyes hanging out.

St Julian of Norwich for TLG.. I mean for Norwich.
St Cuthbert for Durham, and maybe the Venerable Bede for Newcastle?

Also, St Jude for Luton? :mmm: I've not heard that one before.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Aula
St Julian of Norwich for TLG.. I mean for Norwich.

:teehee:
Original post by Aula
I have a nice easy one - St Albans for... St Albans!

Can I claim Alban for my town too? We don't have a saint but St Albans is only a few miles away! Interestingly, the only English Pope was born a few hundred meters from my house but he's not a saint. :cry:
Reply 6956
Original post by Samual
Can I claim Alban for my town too? We don't have a saint but St Albans is only a few miles away! Interestingly, the only English Pope was born a few hundred meters from my house but he's not a saint. :cry:

Ooh, that means you're near me :creep:

Ah, good old Pope Adrian IV :daydreaming:

:teehee:

I couldn't remember how to do this, not from my phone anyway :sad:)
Original post by Aula
Ooh, that means you're near me :creep:

:teehee::yikes:

St Alban really should be England's patron saint!
Bit disappointed about the outcome of the Synod, but think it's good that they decided to focus on these issues for once and that they were at least talked about :yes:
Bit disappointed about the outcome of the Synod, but think it's good that they decided to focus on these issues for once and that they were at least talked about :yes:

I saw it last night and it kinda made me feel disheartened :no:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending