The Student Room Group

Going from a C to a B in GCSE math tips?

I really can't afford to miss a grade B; and I'm a C, so I've got a long way to go but at the same time, with the work I'm putting in, I'm almost there. Has anyone got any tips?

I'm start to feel as if I won't get the grade I need to pursue what I want to pursue, even though I'm working like hell to try to achieve it. (I suppose it's lack of belief and confidence). I just really need this grade so I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to share some decent tips, on how I can go from a C to a B.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Seeyousoon
I really can't afford to miss a grade B; and I'm a C, so I've got a long way to go but at the same time, with the work I'm putting in, I'm almost there. Has anyone got any tips?

I'm start to feel as if I won't get the grade I need to pursue what I want to pursue, even though I'm working like hell to try to achieve it. (I suppose it's lack of belief and confidence). I just really need this grade so I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to share some decent tips, on how I can go from a C to a B.

Only way is constant past papers. Do them, mark them and have a look at the ones you got wrong. If you look in the textbook and still don't understand, ask a teacher.

Rinse and repeat and voila, a B :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I recommend the MathsWatch CD, which explains every topic clearly. The CGP revision guides - especially the Complete Revision and Practice editions, which include a bunch of practice questions - are also very useful. Using those two, along past papers, I achieved an A.
I have a resit in 2 weeks because i need a B for the Uni course i want to do and maths is all about past papers. Find your weakest topic and revise it. For some reason, im abysmal at shapes but get full marks on data so im just putting all my effort into shape.

So yeah, get a lot of past papers and revise the stuff you get wrong. Would also recommend the MathsWatchCD that a lot of schools sell. Im using it at the moment and it just tells you what you need to know
What helped me get a B in GCSE was the Maths watch CD (this literally saved my life), doing past papers over and over and over and over again and also 'Hegarty Maths' on Youtube, his videos really helped me! I jumped from a C to a B in a month and a bit before my exams (when I actually sat down and actually focused on my education).
Reply 5
Original post by nathaniakyra
What helped me get a B in GCSE was the Maths watch CD (this literally saved my life), doing past papers over and over and over and over again and also 'Hegarty Maths' on Youtube, his videos really helped me! I jumped from a C to a B in a month and a bit before my exams (when I actually sat down and actually focused on my education).

THIS!

I did exactly the same last year for a mock, which was a set change.
In the previous mock, I got a D.
Spent 3 weeks revising, using Hegarty Maths and Maths Watch Worksheets along with past papers, and I got a B.
Highest in my class, and I moved up.
I'm so happy I found an effective way to revise for Maths. Textbooks don't help, as they word it differently. It's better to watch videos as if your actually being taught in a classroom.

Also try Past Papers arranged by Topic. They're very helpful if your stuck on a certain topic, a paper has about 12 questions for the same topic put together.
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Thanks very much for all of the suggestions! Will get MathsWatch for foundation and higher, and I'll try the other suggestions such as past papers and hegartymaths! Thanks so much! Where can I get the past papers arranged by topic? :smile: Do the MathsWatch worksheets come with the CD?

Also, I have a problem with forgetting when I go into an exam and making stupid mistakes in calculations and misreading questions. Also, functional questions is something I really struggle with such as 'Ben goes into a shop...'. It's a low grade but I just can't do it. Any help to get over all of this? :smile: I'm so afraid to not get the grade I need to get ah...
(edited 9 years ago)
GCSE Maths
A* skills - make sure you know how to spell out the numbers
Another thing u can do is writing concepts u keep forgetting in a notebook. After doing a Pastpaper, write all ur mistakes in it(not silly careless mistakes bit ones where u forgot HOW to do the question). Every once in a while review it, especially before exams.
Good luck!:top:
Reply 10
Original post by STUDYREVISE
I just made a post about this, not realizing that it was already made, oh well.
This is a great improvement! D to B! wow!
I am currently on Grade C, but I NEED the B.
Are there any particular books you would recommend to revise? if so, please leave the links.
Thanks!

I didn't use any books to revise, but if you need a good one you can find some pretty decent ones on Amazon. Just type in Maths GCSE Edexcel Revision Guide. The ones made by Edexcel are best.

However, I found some resources I recommend, which helped me get a good grade.

http://www.hegartymaths.com/
Great videos, and they also go through past paper questions as well. Great for AQA or Edexcel, and Higher or Foundation, even A-Level and KS3 as well as GCSE.

http://keshgcsemaths.wordpress.com/gcse-maths-takeaway/
Most Amazing Website Ever!!
This has past papers arranged by a variety of topics. .
However, it doesn't have mark schemes, but you can always give it to a teacher to mark or check if it is correct yourself.
It also has MyMaths logins and MathsWatch Logins. So you can use Maths Watch.

I also found a PDF of Maths Watch Higher Worksheets Questions and Answers.
http://mulberryexamrevision.weebly.com/uploads/1/2/4/5/12451421/mathswatch_higher_worksheets_aw.pdf

Last but not least, Past Papers.
You can find these anywhere.
Edexcel Website.
(edited 9 years ago)
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Grade
I didn't use any books to revise, but if you need a good one you can find some pretty decent ones on Amazon. Just type in Maths GCSE Edexcel Revision Guide. The ones made by Edexcel are best.

However, I found some resources I recommend, which helped me get a good grade.

http://www.hegartymaths.com/
Great videos, and they also go through past paper questions as well. Great for AQA or Edexcel, and Higher or Foundation, even A-Level and KS3 as well as GCSE.

http://keshgcsemaths.wordpress.com/gcse-maths-takeaway/
Most Amazing Website Ever!!
This has past papers arranged by a variety of topics. .
However, it doesn't have mark schemes, but you can always give it to a teacher to mark or check if it is correct yourself.
It also has MyMaths logins and MathsWatch Logins. So you can use Maths Watch.

I also found a PDF of Maths Watch Higher Worksheets Questions and Answers.
http://mulberryexamrevision.weebly.com/uploads/1/2/4/5/12451421/mathswatch_higher_worksheets_aw.pdf

Last but not least, Past Papers.
You can find these anywhere.
Edexcel Website.

Thanks so much! I will check them all out too! :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by nathaniakyra

Definitely, i went from a C to an A. Thank you MathsWatch!
I went from a C to an A in GCSE Maths (and then to a B at AS, woo!). I would do a past paper, and then create a list of where I lost marks, and why I lost marks. I'd then go onto MyMaths (ugh for homework, pretty good for lessons), do the online lesson, and then do a few questions in the textbook related to it. Then, I'd do another past paper, etc.
Reply 15
Original post by loperdoper
I went from a C to an A in GCSE Maths (and then to a B at AS, woo!). I would do a past paper, and then create a list of where I lost marks, and why I lost marks. I'd then go onto MyMaths (ugh for homework, pretty good for lessons), do the online lesson, and then do a few questions in the textbook related to it. Then, I'd do another past paper, etc.

I'll try this out too! Wow well done for getting a B in AS!! I wish I was able to take Math at AS because it'd really help me with Biochemistry and getting into a good university, and everything I want to pursue really, and finding ways around it are possible but I think there's a higher chance of getting where I want to be with math (even though it isn't a strict necessity and is only preferred, along with Biology which I'm taking anyway) than without it.
I'll try this out too! Wow well done for getting a B in AS!! I wish I was able to take Math at AS because it'd really help me with Biochemistry and getting into a good university, and everything I want to pursue really, and finding ways around it are possible but I think there's a higher chance of getting where I want to be with math (even though it isn't a strict necessity and is only preferred, along with Biology which I'm taking anyway) than without it.

Why aren't you able to do AS Maths? I definitely preferred it to GCSE - fewer shapes, more algebra.
Reply 17
Why aren't you able to do AS Maths? I definitely preferred it to GCSE - fewer shapes, more algebra.

Well, I would love to do it but I just feel as if because I'm not good enough at GCSE, I wont be good at AS level because it'll be harder, people will make fun of me who know I'm bad at math right now, I wont be accepted into any course because my predicted grade is a C and the colleges require a B (but I'm working really hard to get it to a B, maybe even an A like you if I can) and I'll just struggle. I need to get an A at AS-A2 level maths if I took it; I want to go to UCL or something to do biochemistry, and the entry requirements are AAA. I feel like I will never get where I need to be with it for AS or A2 or anything, since it's really tough and I'm not the best at it in GCSE.
(edited 9 years ago)
Well, I would love to do it but I just feel as if because I'm not good enough at GCSE, I wont be good at AS level because it'll be harder, people will make fun of me who know I'm bad at math right now, I wont be accepted into any course because my predicted grade is a C and the colleges require a B (but I'm working really hard to get it to a B, maybe even an A like you if I can) and I'll just struggle. I need to get an A at AS-A2 level maths if I took it; I want to go to UCL or something to do biochemistry, and the entry requirements are AAA.

Ah, I see.
You could always consider taking maths as your AS if you end up getting an B (or maybe even an A) at GCSE, because you will be able to switch in your first term or so of sixth form.
Reply 19
Ah, I see.
You could always consider taking maths as your AS if you end up getting an B (or maybe even an A) at GCSE, because you will be able to switch in your first term or so of sixth form.

Yeah that's true. I could take it if I manage to pull up the grade, and then drop it within my first term for something else.

How hard is it to get the marks and the grades, if you work really really hard and put in the work is it possible to do well in AS-A2 maths? Say if you did one hour of study per lecture or lesson; or however you refer to it at sixth form, and got adequate help from teachers?

Quick Reply

Latest