The Student Room Group

Don't want to go to Graduation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Osha
I feel exactly the same. I deferred my last year of uni (due to mental health problems) so all my friends graduated last year. Now I'm looking at the prospect of graduating without any real friends, and celebrating four difficult years, and getting a degree qualification which is likely to be a lot lower than what I'd have achieved if I hadn't been ill. I don't want to go at all, but mum and dad said I can't 'deprive' them of the chance to see me graduate, because my sister didn't go to her graduation ceremony either. Every time I think about the ceremony I'm in tears, but my dad has already paid for gown hire and photographs, so it looks like I'm going to have to bear it.

I'm just hoping to get the ceremony over with as quickly as possible so that I can go home and keep everyone happy.
Good luck, whatever you decide.

Hi!
I know this is an old thread and I'm not sure if you'll see this but...
I'm applying to have a deferral for my dissertation this year (my third and final year) because whilst all my grades have been good I've been suffering from some mental health issues too and I don't feel like I can cope. I haven't heard from the deferral people yet though (its seriously panicking me that they'll say no and ill be capped at 40... Which might cost me a 2.1...). But I'm really in a bad place at the moment.
What is also depressing me is having to graduate in January because all my friends will be gone and already graduated and ill have no one I know at it. This is a huge issue for me because I've made good friends at uni and the main reason for even wanting to go to graduation is to be with and see my friends graduating. Do you have any advice? How did it go for you?
Reply 21
Original post by Olie
I'm in exactly the same boat and have just about definitely decided I'm not going. I know its supposed to be one of those big days in your life and I feel upset I'm not going, but both options for me were far from ideal and I decided that the least bad option was to not go, because as far as I see it, its a day to celebrate and say goodbye to all your mates, get photos and look back on the last 3 years fondly but like you I wouldn't be able to do that after 3 years of problems with people, struggling to make friends and MH problems and I wouldn't have anyone to celebrate with on my course. The thing is my parents don't know the full extent of what the last 3 years have been like for me, they've had hints and I've spoken to them occasionally but unsurprisingly my mum thought I was mad when I said I wasn't going, my dad hasn't said anything about it yet but I can just see his reaction now, he won't be happy, but I genuinely believe the regrets of not going won't be as bad as going and having a rotten day while everyone else smile, I've got enough bad memories from this place as it is.

Its up to you, its your life and degree, if you really don't want to go and feel it would be better not to go at all then don't go just because of your parents.

This is an old thread but I was wondering if someone could offer some advice?

I'm currently in my third year of university. I'm on course for a first, but I've always disliked this university and with my results I could have gone somewhere much better. My time has also been dogged with personal issues like anxiety. I don't have any real friends so I'm not sure I would even want to go to graduation. All in all university feels like a missed opportunity right now.

I've been given the chance to finish my degree at Royal Holloway, but it will mean deferring this year and going next Septemeber. I don't know what I should do... finish this degree off and move on, or go to RH next year?

I started university a bit older, and If I finish at my current institution I will graduate at 27, at RH I would graduate at 28.

What would you do in my situation?
Original post by apx88
This is an old thread but I was wondering if someone could offer some advice?

I'm currently in my third year of university. I'm on course for a first, but I've always disliked this university and with my results I could have gone somewhere much better. My time has also been dogged with personal issues like anxiety. I don't have any real friends so I'm not sure I would even want to go to graduation. All in all university feels like a missed opportunity right now.

I've been given the chance to finish my degree at Royal Holloway, but it will mean deferring this year and going next Septemeber. I don't know what I should do... finish this degree off and move on, or go to RH next year?

I started university a bit older, and If I finish at my current institution I will graduate at 27, at RH I would graduate at 28.

What would you do in my situation?

To me, being an extra year older wouldn't be an issue. It would simply come down to whether I would rather graduate from current university or RH (and within that, whether third year course content at RH is particularly interesting etc).

If going to RH is about fixing this "missed opportunity" rather than going to RH itself - bear in mind that you would be going into third year. You may find that it is not easy to make friends as people will be settled into friendship groups, living off campus etc. Anxiety is, in my experience, with you wherever you go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by arguendo
To me, being an extra year older wouldn't be an issue. It would simply come down to whether I would rather graduate from current university or RH (and within that, whether third year course content at RH is particularly interesting etc).

If going to RH is about fixing this "missed opportunity" rather than going to RH itself - bear in mind that you would be going into third year. You may find that it is not easy to make friends as people will be settled into friendship groups, living off campus etc. Anxiety is, in my experience, with you wherever you go.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply. My main reasons for the transfer are my current university doesn't have a great reputation (RH is much better), plus moving away would have been a chance to gain independence. Making friends at another university would be an issue, but to be honest in my subject people are usually friendly and I would only be there for a year anyway. My main focus is maintaining my results... whats holding me back is I'm on a strong first at my current university, so I wonder if that on it's own is a good thing or whether I should go somewhere with a better reputation as well.
Reply 24
I didn't go to mine. I wasn't that bothered about it and neither was my mother (I was 29 so it wasn't exactly a milestone into adulthood in my case) so I decided to give it a miss. I'm due to have my postgraduate one next summer, a part of me feels that I should go as I'm the first one in my family who has done postgrad but another part isn't really that bothered.
Reply 25
I know this is an old thread but I got a Third and had a poor run socially (although academically capable of a 1st) and was jolly well going to go as you have to see the glass as half full and in many ways, getting a degree at all and getting through it all was a victory in itself!

PS the free bubbly helped though :smile:
Reply 26
I feel really sorry that you're time at uni has not been great for you. My daughter graduated four years ago with a 2:2 she also made it clear that she didn't want to go to the graduation and we supported her decision, although at the time I was slightly disappointed, I was proud of her for finishing the course. I am hopefully graduating as a mature student this year (if I pass everything!) and don't want to go to my graduation, I've enjoyed the course but the ceremony isn't for me. I think you should do what you think is right, be proud of yourself for finishing uni, especially as it's been so hard for you. Remember this is just a very small part of your life and the best is yet to come!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending