The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Original post by Shahbaz Ahmad
Did you complete your e-tray? Really can't wait until 28.10.2014.

Been busy today and tonight but I will tomorrow :s-smilie:

What is happening 28/10..?
Original post by kat.lev

Fast Stream online application process welcome page is saying that candidates will be informed about their e-tray results in late October so I am imagining that to come about on 28th of October.

Wish you best of luck with your e-tray exercise and it’s really, really an interesting task.
Could someone please tell me if there are indeed breaks, and how they work, within the e-tray exercise?

i.e. there seem to three sections: 1)Limited to reading the background information documents etc; 2)Answering the multiple choice best/worst option email questions; and 3)The written response component

So is there time available for a break between, say, task 1 and 2, which can be taken without eating into your time for 2? If so, is there a limit on how long such a break could last? I ask because, in the practice civil service cubiks e-tray exercise, after you have done 1 - read the info documents - you are essentially given an unlimited break before choosing to click on 'start' and move to the multiple choice questions proper in task 2. I'd have thought this wasn't the case for the real exercise though - or is it?

I also can't find any proper information re: the times and number of e-mail questions - just that the whole test lasts around 2 1/2 hours. Is that sort of info available?

I don't know if you could help, Shahbaz Ahmad, having completed the e-tray test already?

Kind thanks
Reply 523
Original post by Slowbro93
End of October, when is the stats one? What does it involve? :holmes:

Best of luck!

Yeah the AC is the end of October too. And from what I've read it is apparently an interview (more stats based) a stats test and a short presentation about the findings from several pieces of data and graphs etc. doesn't sound too bad but I need to go over all the basic statistics and their uses again...

hopefully I'll here either way for OR soon :smile:
Thanks for your answers everyone.

Original post by sempitern
You're overthinking it. The form gives you the chance to say more if you want to. The application form is more of a formality and will not be assessed or used to sift.
Some people however might have worked on research areas they are very committed to and want to continue working on in future. In such a case, this is a good place to voice that.
Or you might have discovered something through a dissertation, about yourself or your subject. Again you can mention if you wish to do so but it won't hurt you if you have nothing to say here.

With undergrad modules, it's okay just to list them.

Ultimately the only time that these sections *might* be perused is in role matching which only takes place late in the process after a person is successful for the fast stream. And again, this is only a *might* as other development parameters take priority in role matching i.e. learning how to manage people will take priority over whether or not you like to work with community agencies. However, should you be really keen to work with community agencies, it will be something you can discuss with your placement manager if and when you get on the fast stream.

How do you know it's merely formality? And thanks for answering.
Original post by Tomato_Soup1992
Thanks for your answers everyone.

How do you know it's merely formality? And thanks for answering.

It's not used at Online test stage, or at eTray stage, or as any form of sift.
There is no sift. If you pass the online test and eTray then you will receive an invite to an assessment centre (analytical schemes might attend another centre prior to AC).
None of the assessors at the AC have your application form. They know absolutely nothing about you. You are assessed on the competencies.

If your scheme has a FSB then you can ask at the post AC stage if your FSB board will have access to your application form. I have not heard of the FSB panel having it before. It would be highly unlikely that it is used in the FSB (in my opinion) as it would not fit with the Civil Service's view that the selection process is merely competency based if the FSB panel had the application forms and full histories to hand of the remaining handful of applicants (again, I emphasise, not all streams even have a FSB).
HR will tell you it is an information filling formality because that is primarily what it is. This is why what you place in the postgraduate sections is really up to you. With the exception of the actual qualification title, you can share as much or as little as you want about what kind of research you may or may not have done. At the end of the day, if you are successful, HR will follow up on a qualifications check.

As I said before, if you think your research might affect what kind of placements you want in the civil service then by all means mention it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sempitern
It's not used at Online test stage, or at eTray stage, or as any form of sift.
There is no sift. If you pass the online test and eTray then you will receive an invite to an assessment centre (analytical schemes might attend another centre prior to AC).
None of the assessors at the AC have your application form. They know absolutely nothing about you. You are assessed on the competencies.

If your scheme has a FSB then you can ask at the post AC stage if your FSB board will have access to your application form. I have not heard of the FSB panel having it before. It would be highly unlikely that it is used in the FSB (in my opinion) as it would not fit with the Civil Service's view that the selection process is merely competency based if the FSB panel had the application forms and full histories to hand of the remaining handful of applicants (again, I emphasise, not all streams even have a FSB).
HR will tell you it is an information filling formality because that is primarily what it is. This is why what you place in the postgraduate sections is really up to you. With the exception of the actual qualification title, you can share as much or as little as you want about what kind of research you may or may not have done. At the end of the day, if you are successful, HR will follow up on a qualifications check.

As I said before, if you think your research might affect what kind of placements you want in the civil service then by all means mention it.

That sounds reasonable. If that's the case It would help if the message helper people explained this rather than giving vague 'Knowing how much information to put is a journey only you can take' -type answers.
Original post by kat.lev

It's not a date. Some people won't be applying til November so it seems pretty unlikely that someone would get their e-tray results before they sit them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tomato_Soup1992
That sounds reasonable. If that's the case It would help if the message helper people explained this rather than giving vague 'Knowing how much information to put is a journey only you can take' -type answers.

My impression is that Parity mostly deal with the administrative side of the application process and for both practical reasons and reasons of fairness they can't offer advice on how you should answer questions.

You have to bear in mind that everyone is presented with the same information, and that the fast stream recruiters are looking for people who think on their feet.
Reply 529
Original post by GManTheGMan
It's not a date. Some people won't be applying til November so it seems pretty unlikely that someone would get their e-tray results before they sit them.

Agreed, I suppose it's possible that the first immediately successful/unsuccessful marks may be set at the end of Oct (as implied on the portal) but as only a small fraction of people will have done their e-trays by then.. please don't hold your breath, Shabhaz! Although I must say that I like your enthusiasm :smile: It could be a long wait....

I'm at my dad's, ready to do the practice e-tray followed by the real one later today. He's a sweetheart, he's bought a big selection of vegan goodies to keep my energy (and spirits!) up and has appointed himself my assessment slave, bringing me coffee whenever I shout for it <3

I know there are a few of us doing the e-tray before our 21/10 deadline, so good luck to everyone else stepping into the unknown!
Original post by kat.lev
Agreed, I suppose it's possible that the first immediately successful/unsuccessful marks may be set at the end of Oct (as implied on the portal) but as only a small fraction of people will have done their e-trays by then.. please don't hold your breath, Shabhaz! Although I must say that I like your enthusiasm :smile: It could be a long wait....

I'm at my dad's, ready to do the practice e-tray followed by the real one later today. He's a sweetheart, he's bought a big selection of vegan goodies to keep my energy (and spirits!) up and has appointed himself my assessment slave, bringing me coffee whenever I shout for it <3

I know there are a few of us doing the e-tray before our 21/10 deadline, so good luck to everyone else stepping into the unknown!

Wish you best of luck!
Reply 531
Wish you best of luck!

Thank you very much! :smile:
Reply 532
Hi PatristicFields

I did my etray yesterday and there was a chance to take a break between the three sections.

There was no countdown, so I don't think there's a limit on the breaks - I had time to pop to the loo and make a cup of tea and had no problems at all. You wouldn't want to break for too long though, because you'd forget everything you'd read! It's very like the practice - when you finish one section, you get a screen up telling you that the section is over and you have to press a start button before the next bit begins.

You get about 20 minutes to read the information, an hour on the email answering section and another hour for the written exercise - but they make all that very clear on the exercise instructions when you start and tell you how many e-mails there are to answer in total etc. The instructions are really good - and there's no time limit on them, so my advice is to take your time and read them carefully and make sure you fully understand how it works - save yourself any unnecessary stress!

Hope the etray goes okay for you. It was interesting - and actually weirdly enjoyable - but very hard and I have no idea how well I've done. I slightly messed up the timing on my multiple-choice section, but not too badly. Am now trying really hard not to second guess all my answers while I wait for the results!

All the best, Liz
Original post by liz28
Hi PatristicFields

I did my etray yesterday and there was a chance to take a break between the three sections.

There was no countdown, so I don't think there's a limit on the breaks - I had time to pop to the loo and make a cup of tea and had no problems at all. You wouldn't want to break for too long though, because you'd forget everything you'd read! It's very like the practice - when you finish one section, you get a screen up telling you that the section is over and you have to press a start button before the next bit begins.

You get about 20 minutes to read the information, an hour on the email answering section and another hour for the written exercise - but they make all that very clear on the exercise instructions when you start and tell you how many e-mails there are to answer in total etc. The instructions are really good - and there's no time limit on them, so my advice is to take your time and read them carefully and make sure you fully understand how it works - save yourself any unnecessary stress!

Hope the etray goes okay for you. It was interesting - and actually weirdly enjoyable - but very hard and I have no idea how well I've done. I slightly messed up the timing on my multiple-choice section, but not too badly. Am now trying really hard not to second guess all my answers while I wait for the results!

All the best, Liz

Thanks for the information!

Multiple choice section of the e-tray was really interesting and easy but I messed up with written section.
Original post by Jeerah
Hi All!

Just wondering if anyone has heard back about GES applications? I've completed the online tests and application form but still awaiting results to see if I am invited to the EAC. From the previous posts I gather I've been amber-banded, I'm so anxious!

They've been getting through the applications quite quickly, some of us have already had our EAC (mine was last Wednesday and I know a few friends that had theirs during the start of the month).

I'd just keep checking your page daily, as as soon as you pass you'll be offered an EAC date.

Good luck!
Reply 535
Sorry to be a pain, but does anyone know if you can access the answers for the sample e-tray? (I'm referring to the one about diseases/DPU.)
Original post by kat.lev
Sorry to be a pain, but does anyone know if you can access the answers for the sample e-tray? (I'm referring to the one about diseases/DPU.)

After someone completes the sample e-tray, they should follow the steps. They shall have an access to the answers with successive precedence and explanation!
Reply 537
After someone completes the sample e-tray, they should follow the steps. They shall have an access to the answers with successive precedence and explanation!

Darn, mine just said 'close' without providing them. I'll whizz through it again to see if I can find them....

Thanks so much for the prompt reply!
Just done my e-tray for FCFS (finance/commercial fast stream).

I finished the first bit with 10 minutes to spare and was able to press send on the last bit with five minutes to spare! Not quite sure how I did on the first bit. Oh well, here's hoping! :rolleyes:
Reply 539
Original post by madl24903
Just done my e-tray for FCFS (finance/commercial fast stream).

I finished the first bit with 10 minutes to spare and was able to press send on the last bit with five minutes to spare! Not quite sure how I did on the first bit. Oh well, here's hoping! :rolleyes:

do you know how many vacancies they have for this scheme? Can't find anything, since its a relatively new scheme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending