The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathsfanatic123
Hopefully it's good news, if you don't mind me asking when did you apply and what are your stats?! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

On the page before mate :smile:
Original post by 789tom789
LSE have told me i will recieve a decision by next Tuesday and i expect a decision from Warwick soon...

Ooh exciting, when did you apply?
I'm expecting something from leeds any day now, I got my acknowledgement email from them nearly 2 weeks ago and they said they try and make decisions within 2 weeks, although it may be 4 weeks if they're busy :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Ooh exciting, when did you apply?
I'm expecting something from leeds any day now, I got my acknowledgement email from them nearly 2 weeks ago and they said they try and make decisions within 2 weeks, although it may be 4 weeks if they're busy :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

LSE said 5 days ago they would get back to me in 2 weeks with a decision. I applied on 3rd October.
What do you guys want to do as future careers?
What do you guys want to do as future careers?

dunno yet, maybe something finance related. An aspiration is to maybe work at the UN or World Bank.
defo ruled out investment banking after work experience and advice from relatives!
Original post by groovyd97
dunno yet, maybe something finance related. An aspiration is to maybe work at the UN or World Bank.
defo ruled out investment banking after work experience and advice from relatives!

what's wrong with investment banking?
LSE said 5 days ago they would get back to me in 2 weeks with a decision. I applied on 3rd October.

Ooh exciting, I applied on the 3rd too, although it took nottingham until Thursday to even acknowledge my application hm

Posted from TSR Mobile
what's wrong with investment banking?

all the people i spoke to said the hours were horrible, the results of your work were unpredictable and many of them were on their 2nd/3rd/4th marriages!!!
Also, a few of the guys there directly advised me not go into IB because they said it was on its way out in the next 10 years.

Also, a few of the guys there directly advised me not go into IB because they said it was on its way out in the next 10 years.

Did he say what was on its way in in the next 10 years? xD
Original post by mwatters
Did he say what was on its way in in the next 10 years? xD

His concerns were that the appeal would be lost after the financial crisis so it would just die out. But there are 3 main concerns:
The first concerns the risk of insolvency. Investment banks have higher leverage than other banks.
The second, related doubt concerns their funding profile. As a group, the pure-play investment banks have relied heavily on short-term funding.
As well as dearer funding and lower leverage, the investment banks face the prospect of weakened demand for their services. As and when the market for structured finance revives, it will be smaller and less rewarding than before. This is the third concern - less profit.
His concerns were that the appeal would be lost after the financial crisis so it would just die out. But there are 3 main concerns:
The first concerns the risk of insolvency. Investment banks have higher leverage than other banks.
The second, related doubt concerns their funding profile. As a group, the pure-play investment banks have relied heavily on short-term funding.
As well as dearer funding and lower leverage, the investment banks face the prospect of weakened demand for their services. As and when the market for structured finance revives, it will be smaller and less rewarding than before. This is the third concern - less profit.

All this suggests to me is that investment banking will not be as big as it was before, this doesn't show IB dying out.
Reply 591
Original post by callmethed0ctor
Hi! I'm from Newcastle, you? Yeah I went up in June for the open day and fell in love with the place. City is beautiful, university is well kitted out and the lecturers seemed really nice so I'm hoping and praying for an offer! What about you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought it was really nice too! I'm from scotland so I already have close to the typical entry requirements so I'm hoping with a good ps and reference I could sneak an unconditional! The halls weren't brilliant but nothing which I couldn't stay in
Original post by sr-96
If you dont mind, what are your stats and when did you send your ucas off? Congrats btw:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sent off application on the 30th of September, and my I got 10 A* and 3 A's at GCSE, 4 As at AS with a 97% ums average in the 3 subjects I kept on, and 3 a* predictions
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Ah yep I'm happy with my grades I got 4As and a B and yeah I do further maths so I'm someone with it
I'd say if you were willing to self teach just to AS that'd be good and fp1 isn't actually very difficult at all so that could be an option for you?
Erm most people read freakonomics or however it's actually spelt and I think the armchair economist is a common one. I went to warwick open day and the economics lecturer suggested reading the economist weekly and piketty's capital, which I'm yet to start reading and looks like heavy going aha

Posted from TSR Mobile

At a Cambridge open day the economics tutor said that if you put capital on your PS they firstly would believe that you read all of it and secondly they would know for certain you wouldn't understand it as she said (most likely exaggerating) that some tutors will find it tough to read. I don't think it is common reading, it's the product of serious empirical research aimed at academics. If you do read it, let me know how you get on!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Con08
I thought it was really nice too! I'm from scotland so I already have close to the typical entry requirements so I'm hoping with a good ps and reference I could sneak an unconditional! The halls weren't brilliant but nothing which I couldn't stay in

Good luck! Let me know when you hear back! Yeah the halls aren't the best ever but I like the look of Blackfriars or Sciennes! :smile:
Reeeeeaaally dont want to wait until January for my first offer. I have no motivation to work right now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EHZ17
At a Cambridge open day the economics tutor said that if you put capital on your PS they firstly would believe that you read all of it and secondly they would know for certain you wouldn't understand it as she said (most likely exaggerating) that some tutors will find it tough to read. I don't think it is common reading, it's the product of serious empirical research aimed at academics. If you do read it, let me know how you get on!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can say I did read all 600 pages of it, it was quite interesting, although, there were literally just pages and pages of data used to back up his arguments. If I'm being honest it was much drier than the other book I read and some of his solutions to the issues did strike me as unfeasible.

Weird isn't it though how some universities were super keen on recommending it, like I can't stress how much the guy at warwick did, and others weren't

Posted from TSR Mobile
To anyone who is applying for LSE, have they got the questionnaire yet? I did just now
Original post by pyrrhusofepirus
To anyone who is applying for LSE, have they got the questionnaire yet? I did just now

Nope. Today is the end of my second week. Received the 2 week email on 6 Oct and nothing since then. Im an international applicant though.
I just received the questionnaire form from LSE, anyone else done it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending