The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tryrevise
Snap with the A level choices at the moment :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:five:

Most likely going to drop English Lit after AS tbh.. The new A-level system is confusing tho. :s-smilie:
Original post by Martie08
You see, all you guys go to schools that actually care about your wellbeing; mine has more of a motto of "Work until you go insane (but not so insane that you fail your exams and make us go down in the league table)"

My school doesn't really care, overall.. as long as you pass with C's. Some individual teachers care about their students however, which is good. I'd rather go to your school than mine tbh. I need someone to push me, or I'd never get **** done lol.
Original post by germanshepherd_
So what are you guys thinking of taking for A-Levels? or are some of you considering IB???

Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Further maths, Philosophy and ethics (studying atm, did Religious Studies in year 10 :biggrin:)
Original post by vd12345
My school doesn't really care, overall.. as long as you pass with C's. Some individual teachers care about their students however, which is good. I'd rather go to your school than mine tbh. I need someone to push me, or I'd never get **** done lol.

Ahaha, careful what you wish for... :biggrin:

Still, I see what you mean. I suck at motivating myself. But then there is just a point where it's just a bit too much and I don't want to do anything anymore...
I mean, every single last one of my target grades are A*s, and if I don't achieve that in every mock exam and every end of unit test, I'm under-achieving. The pressure is ridiculous...

That is exactly like my school, and I'm in the same position. I mean, do they really think I'm going to get 12 A*s? They need to get a grip.

They are already telling us to revise for December mocks I mean what the hell?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So what are you guys thinking of taking for A-Levels? or are some of you considering IB???

I plan on taking Maths, Physics, French and Spanish. :biggrin:

What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chem, Bio, Eng Lit and French at the moment. Will probably change my mind though...
Original post by SampleX
That is exactly like my school, and I'm in the same position. I mean, do they really think I'm going to get 12 A*s? They need to get a grip.

They are already telling us to revise for December mocks I mean what the hell?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know it's ridiculous :frown: Our mocks are in November, w/c 17th. Just did some revision today which I'm proud of aha :biggrin: But I've been struggling with the motivation to recently.
I know it's ridiculous :frown: Our mocks are in November, w/c 17th. Just did some revision today which I'm proud of aha :biggrin: But I've been struggling with the motivation to recently.

Same here, I have loads of internal tests that I just can't be bothered to revise for, but I know there'll be trouble if my grades slip.
Have you got a timetable for your mocks yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SampleX
Same here, I have loads of internal tests that I just can't be bothered to revise for, but I know there'll be trouble if my grades slip.
Have you got a timetable for your mocks yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, we got them a couple of weeks ago. They go Mon-Mon, and on the last Monday I have 4 exams. Great.
Yeah, we got them a couple of weeks ago. They go Mon-Mon, and on the last Monday I have 4 exams. Great.

Oh, that sounds fun. We haven't even had our timetables.
How many exams do you have?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SampleX
Oh, that sounds fun. We haven't even had our timetables.
How many exams do you have?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fourteen.
I know, I can hardly wait! Then we've got the fun of real GCSEs, and then the fun of starting the hell that are A-Levels. Oh, wait, the new A-Levels that no-one's done before, and will have the benefit of having zero past papers apart from a couple of specimens!
I'm feeling really optimistic about my academic future, as you can tell...
Fourteen.
I know, I can hardly wait! Then we've got the fun of real GCSEs, and then the fun of starting the hell that are A-Levels. Oh, wait, the new A-Levels that no-one's done before, and will have the benefit of having zero past papers apart from a couple of specimens!

Hello :smile:

I was just wondering exam papers will not be changing just b/c of the linear changes?
Reply 1873
Fourteen.

ohhhmygod I hadn't even considered that we'll have no past papers :angry: we'll have to practice with both AS and A2 level papers to make sure we cover the whole syllabus.
Original post by tryrevise
I've done chemistry and biology, and I'm doing physics after half term :smile: I found chemistry easier than biology though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought chemistry was brilliant, I am a little apprehensive about Physics though. What did you have to do in your Biology ISA?
Original post by nox1
ohhhmygod I hadn't even considered that we'll have no past papers :angry: we'll have to practice with both AS and A2 level papers to make sure we cover the whole syllabus.

It's going to be rubbish. :frown:

Original post by Cherx
Hello :smile:

I was just wondering exam papers will not be changing just b/c of the linear changes?

Oh, yes they will, unfortunately it isn't just going linear but the spec content is changing - not hugely, but enough so that I'd imagine past papers won't really be much use. I assume question wording and exam layout will change too, so that it's going to be hard to work on exam technique.
It's going to be rubbish. :frown:

Oh, yes they will, unfortunately it isn't just going linear but the spec content is changing - not hugely, but enough so that I'd imagine past papers won't really be much use. I assume question wording and exam layout will change too, so that it's going to be hard to work on exam technique.

Ah, damn I didn't think of that. :cry2:

It's always our year that gets it the worst :3

Did you know that there's still Coursework in English for A-levels :smile:
Original post by Cherx
Ah, damn I didn't think of that. :cry2:

It's always our year that gets it the worst :3

Did you know that there's still Coursework in English for A-levels :smile:

Yeah I'm glad about the English, although of course it's dropping from 40% to 20%. (For Lit, I don't know about Language).
Labour have said they'll reverse the changes if they come into power, but I don't really see how that will happen seeing as the election is in May, after schools will have done a lot of the preparation and specifications have been written, etc...
Yeah I'm glad about the English, although of course it's dropping from 40% to 20%. (For Lit, I don't know about Language).
Labour have said they'll reverse the changes if they come into power, but I don't really see how that will happen seeing as the election is in May, after schools will have done a lot of the preparation and specifications have been written, etc...

Yeah, it's only gonna be 20%. I wanna do English Lit for A-level and the coursework section is going to be a massive help. What books are you studying this year for English Lit?

Ughh, they really need to stop messing around with the education system :angry:
The new changes that are coming in is similar to what it was like when the O-levels where in place..
Fourteen.

Drat, I'd forgotten about past papers. The thing is though, even if Labour reverse the changes our year might still have to do the new ones because May is a bit late to change. :unimpressed:

Question: are the changes in all subjects or just the facilitating subjects minus languages? The A levels I'm thinking of taking aren't facilitating subjects (Government and Politics, Philosophy, Chinese and Music - unsure of whether to wholly drop core though) so I'm wondering if I'll have the changes.

Latest