The Student Room Group

Physics P2 Chapter 5 HWK help

I'm trying to complete my homework. Can anyone help me with this question so I can learn from it then do the remaining ones myself. Please if possible can you also say which equation you used. Thank you

A 5 ohm resistor is in series with a bulb , a switch and a 12 V battery.

a) Draw the circuit diagram

I've tried this one - I drew the battery, from the shorter side I extended the wire and drew a switch then a bulb and then the resistor and completed the circuit. Is this correct?

b)When the switch is closed for 60 seconds, a direct current of 0.6A passes through the resistor. Calculate:
i) The energy supplied by the battery
ii) The energy transferred to the resistor
iii) The energy transferred to the bulb

c)The bulb is replaced by a 25 ohm resistor
i) Calculate the total resistance of the two resistors
ii) show that a current of 0.4A passes through the battery
iii) Calculate the power supplied by the battery and the power delivered to each resistor.

I'm struggling on physics because i do triple science and my old teacher was meant to have taught us p2 chapter 5 last year but didn't so this year the new teacher thought we had done it already so skipped to chapter 6. when we told him he said we don't have enough time to do it in detail. I'm really confused and for those who have the text book this is the aqa summary questions for chapter 5( mains electricity). Any help will be incredibly appreciated.
Thank You :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Aty100
I'm trying to complete my homework. Can anyone help me with this question so I can learn from it then do the remaining ones myself. Please if possible can you also say which equation you used. Thank you

A 5 ohm resistor is in series with a bulb , a switch and a 12 V battery.

a) Draw the circuit diagram

I've tried this one - I drew the battery, from the shorter side I extended the wire and drew a switch then a bulb and then the resistor and completed the circuit. Is this correct?

b)When the switch is closed for 60 seconds, a direct current of 0.6A passes through the resistor. Calculate:
i) The energy supplied by the battery
ii) The energy transferred to the resistor
iii) The energy transferred to the bulb

c)The bulb is replaced by a 25 ohm resistor
i) Calculate the total resistance of the two resistors
ii) show that a current of 0.4A passes through the battery
iii) Calculate the power supplied by the battery and the power delivered to each resistor.

I'm struggling on physics because i do triple science and my old teacher was meant to have taught us p2 chapter 5 last year but didn't so this year the new teacher thought we had done it already so skipped to chapter 6. when we told him he said we don't have enough time to do it in detail. I'm really confused and for those who have the text book this is the aqa summary questions for chapter 5( mains electricity). Any help will be incredibly appreciated.
Thank You :smile:

This is not the place for people to do your homework for you.

What have you done so far? I'll list all the electronics equations that you need to know in a spoiler tag:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by lerjj
This is not the place for people to do your homework for you.

What have you done so far? I'll list all the electronics equations that you need to know in a spoiler tag:

Spoiler

Thanks that was still helpful. And yh sorry i understand its not for homework but i thought maybe some people could help me. There were about 8 long questions and this was question 5 so i did 4 and have 4 left but found them quite difficult.
Reply 3
Original post by Aty100
Thanks that was still helpful. And yh sorry i understand its not for homework but i thought maybe some people could help me. There were about 8 long questions and this was question 5 so i did 4 and have 4 left but found them quite difficult.

That's fine. Sometimes people just post their h/w... which is clearly not the point. Are you still stuck on anything? Electricity is probably the only GCSE topic which required you to work out which equation you needed to use.

Quick Reply

Latest