The Student Room Group

Any extra information about Sports Rehabilitation?

I had my heart set on Physiotherapy at first, but due to the fact I failed biology I'll only be able to do AS and want to apply for uni next year (2015). So with that being said I've looked at Sports Rehabilitation. Is there any extra info about the course, similarities/differences to physio & also if I was to do my masters in sports rehab would it be classed as physio? Meaning would I be able to get a career in physio?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Physiotherapy is an Allied Health profession. In order to work as a physiotherapist with the NHS you will need to register with the HCPC and complete a HCPC approved Physiotherapy degree rather than a Sports Rehabiliation degree. I'm not sure what a Sports Rehab degree actually qualifies you to do, but it will not open as many doors as a Physio degree.

Physiotherapy is available as a 2 year postgraduate qualification which you can probably do after a Sports Rehab degree if you do well. However you will have to fund that yourself so it could be quite costly. The other option is to take a gap year and resit biology. If you do take a gap year, try to find some work experience with a physiotherapist as the experience and knowledge of the profession is as important as the grades when it comes to applying for healthcare professions.

Here is the NHS Careers page for physiotherapy, which has a lot of relevant information. http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore-by-career/allied-health-professions/careers-in-the-allied-health-professions/physiotherapist/
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by nerdcake
Physiotherapy is an Allied Health profession. In order to work as a physiotherapist with the NHS you will need to register with the HCPC and complete a HCPC approved Physiotherapy degree rather than a Sports Rehabiliation degree. I'm not sure what a Sports Rehab degree actually qualifies you to do, but it will not open as many doors as a Physio degree.

Physiotherapy is available as a 2 year postgraduate qualification which you can probably do after a Sports Rehab degree if you do well. However you will have to fund that yourself so it could be quite costly. The other option is to take a gap year and resit biology. If you do take a gap year, try to find some work experience with a physiotherapist as the experience and knowledge of the profession is as important as the grades when it comes to applying for healthcare professions.

Here is the NHS Careers page for physiotherapy, which has a lot of relevant information. http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore-by-career/allied-health-professions/careers-in-the-allied-health-professions/physiotherapist/

Just to add to this, yes physiotherapy over sports rehab any day. I used to have the same dilemma but realised that sport science/rehab wasn't a professional qualification and couldn't open as many doors as physio. I'm not sure about doing a physiotherapy post grad after sports rehab course though. I'm pretty sure you have to do an undergrad physio degree to do the post grad. When you say fail biology, was it in GCSE or a level? And what were your other grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by NaturallyDumbKid
I'm pretty sure you have to do an undergrad physio degree to do the post grad.

The NHS careers page says it is possible to do it from a degree in 'a relevant discipline' which implies that other subjects than only Physiotheraphy will be considered. Also, as the Postgrad course is seen as a route into the career, it would make little sense for it only to be open to Physio graduates as they are already qualified.
Original post by nerdcake
The NHS careers page says it is possible to do it from a degree in 'a relevant discipline' which implies that other subjects than only Physiotheraphy will be considered. Also, as the Postgrad course is seen as a route into the career, it would make little sense for it only to be open to Physio graduates as they are already qualified.

Yeh, that's what I saw on the careers website too, but a lot of uni websites say you can only do the post grad if you have a undergrad physio degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Yeh, that's what I saw on the careers website too, but a lot of uni websites say you can only do the post grad if you have a undergrad physio degree

None of these unis specify that a Physio degree is necessary:
Kings: Minimum high 2:1 first degree in biomedical sciences or relevant disciplines such as psychology and sports science or the equivalent overseas qualifications.
Birmingham: you should normally hold an honours degree in a relevant discipline at 1st or 2.1 classification.
Southampton: a recent 2:1 honours degree (or higher) awarded within the last 3 years in a human biological or behavioural science, Sports Science or a health related profession
Brunel: A UK first or 2:1 Honours degree or equivalent internationally recognised qualification with a preference to a science discipline with extensive anatomy and physiology as an integral component.
Essex: a relevant honours degree, minimum classification of lower second (e.g. in a life science - psychology, sociology, biological science or equivalent or sports science degree)

Yes, I trawled through the first page of Google results just to prove a point. Some of those have A level requirements which may be a stumbling block for OP, but I think those prove that a Physio undergrad is not necessary.

OP, looking at those requirements, if you decide to go into Physio through a postgrad route you might find that Sport Science is more helpful than Sports Rehab. I don't know how much higher the entry requirements are for Sport Sci than Sports Rehab though.
Reply 6
Just to add to this, yes physiotherapy over sports rehab any day. I used to have the same dilemma but realised that sport science/rehab wasn't a professional qualification and couldn't open as many doors as physio. I'm not sure about doing a physiotherapy post grad after sports rehab course though. I'm pretty sure you have to do an undergrad physio degree to do the post grad. When you say fail biology, was it in GCSE or a level? And what were your other grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I achieved a B in GCSE Biology, but failed AS Biology, had a C in AS Psychology and C in AS Sports
Original post by Ceriidwen
I achieved a B in GCSE Biology, but failed AS Biology, had a C in AS Psychology and C in AS Sports

Okay, AS PE? AS sports studies or BTEC sport?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Okay, AS PE? AS sports studies or BTEC sport?

Posted from TSR Mobile

AS Physical Education.
I know that in UWE Bristol I could do Physiotherapy as long as I have a B in AS Biology, the only problem is I need another 4 universities that offer AS Biology for the course, for my personal statement.
AS Physical Education.
I know that in UWE Bristol I could do Physiotherapy as long as I have a B in AS Biology, the only problem is I need another 4 universities that offer AS Biology for the course, for my personal statement.

Ah interesting. I'm taking biology psychology and PE this year for a2 aswell. Biology is very hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Ah interesting. I'm taking biology psychology and PE this year for a2 aswell. Biology is very hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh cool, I'm resetting AS Biology and don't know whether to stay on an extra year to obtain an A2 Biology grade. But from what my friends say A2 Biology is a lot easier than AS Biology. What exam board are you with?
Oh cool, I'm resetting AS Biology and don't know whether to stay on an extra year to obtain an A2 Biology grade. But from what my friends say A2 Biology is a lot easier than AS Biology. What exam board are you with?

Ah okay, and I'm doing AQA biology, wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Ah okay, and I'm doing AQA biology, wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I'm doing WJEC.
Ah I'm doing WJEC.

Ah okay, what about for psychology and pe?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Ah okay, what about for psychology and pe?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also doing it through WJEC, you?
Also doing it through WJEC, you?

Oh wow, are you from Wales by any chance? And PE and psychology OCR

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing OCR PE too :smile:
Original post by N.Choi
I'm doing OCR PE too :smile:

How are you finding it? Are you in a2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I live in Wales :P studying through the medium of Welsh.
Reply 19
How are you finding it? Are you in a2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah im in my A2's. It's going quite well actually because the modules im learning has some content from last year, and some parts in the exercise physiology links in with what I'm learning in Biology. I'm studying comparative studies, exercise physiology and sports psychology. How are you finding it and what modules are you doing??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending