The Student Room Group

Imperial College A100 applicants 2015 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ishysmile
Where all did you guys apply for your 5th non med option? I went for Kings Biomed

Went for biomed at Oxford just bcos:colone:
Original post by Dinosaurus_Rex
LETS FAIL TOGETHER! *high five*

*high five* :beer::bhangra:
Original post by Saywhatyoumean
Went for biomed at Oxford just bcos:colone:

I put Natsci at Cambridge lol.... Bad option?
I put Natsci at Cambridge lol.... Bad option?

Aha I don't think so :')

Guess we're just over achievers :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aha I don't think so :')

Guess we're just over achievers :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed!
My problem is that I applied to cambridge 15 minutes before the deadline, and I put open application, I didnt realise some colleges need TSA exam...

Anyways in the unfortunate event of getting all 5 rejections, Im going to go to extra and hopefully get a course for biochem!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 45
Does anybody know how long after the BMAT does imperial get back to us for interviews?
Original post by Hectors
Does anybody know how long after the BMAT does imperial get back to us for interviews?

Hmm im guessing that after we get our BMAT results...?
I'm applying :smile:
MY STATS:
GCSE: 10A*s 2A's
AS Levels: AAAA(Maths, Chemistry, biology, History)
BMAT: STILL TO COME

If i score above the cut off can i expect an interview?
Original post by MrStealYourGirl
I'm applying :smile:
MY STATS:
GCSE: 10A*s 2A's
AS Levels: AAAA(Maths, Chemistry, biology, History)
BMAT: STILL TO COME

If i score above the cut off can i expect an interview?

Yeah I have iGCSEs 9A* 1A and IB Predicted 45 (Higher Biology, Chemistry, Math) - (assuming PS / Reference are good) and I was wondering if getting above the BMAT cut off would be enough to get an interview
Hi! I am new to this thread. I applied to Imperial too!
:smile:

Original post by Hectors
Hello everybody :smile:
This thread is for all of us applying for medicine at imperial. Feel free to include your stats, thoughts, etc..
Good Luck :smile:

My stats: (GCSES: 9A* 2A) --- (AS: 4As) --- (A2 predicted: 4A*)
Dreading BMAT. How are you preparing for it and what are you getting at the moment?
:smile: Good luck to you too!

Original post by Samriddha
I like the eagerness and earliness with which this thread has been created. I'm going to go into my second year of Medicine at Imperial this year, feel free to ask me anything you want! :smile:

Hi! Please can you tell me about the questions they ask at interview and how did you answer them! I am so scared about interviews and how to prepare for them, your advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Original post by Hectors
You have to be above the cut-off and then you get ranked based on your bmat score. The higher the score the earliest you get called for interview :smile:

Do you know when interviews start! I'm so dreading interviews! :eek:
How is BMAT going for you? What are you getting? How are you preparing? I am terrified for BMAT as well! aaahhh!!

Good luck to you all!
Ahhhhh im scared just sent off my application!
I am a reapplicant, and last year I recieved 4.8 5.8 3A on my BMAT. I didnt apply to imperial, but to UCL... to no avail :frown:

Gonna don the test this year!

GOOD LUCK GUYS DEADLINE DAY IS NEARLY HERE.

Good luck!! :biggrin:

After you're ranked based on your BMAT score, is that the sole indicator for who gets called to interview? Or do they look at the BMAT rank along side your UCAS?

I've attached how they shortlist. From my understanding they place you in 3 priority bands according to your BMAT score. Then they work from the top priority band down to decide who to call to interview until all interview places are filled up. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Original post by Hectors
I did indeed :smile: the Bmat crash course, was really useful imo :smile:

Hey! What did you learn from the course. Your tips would be very helpful! And how are you preparing? What are you currently getting? Am so scared for BMAT!!
Good luck! :smile:

Just got an email confirmation from imperial!

Same! Made me feel so special, although I don't understand why... :smile:

me too! In the email she says "in the meantime, i know that you are busy preparing to undertake the BMAT" :P

Aha Ikr, that's exactly what we are all doing :P

Of course! But not with much success. How are you preparing for the BMAT? What are you getting currently? :smile:

Original post by Hectors
Got that as well! I don't know why i get so excited for every single email I receive these days hahahah

Same! :smile:

Where all did you guys apply for your 5th non med option? I went for Kings Biomed

I went for Biomed at Newcastle! :smile:

Original post by AnushkasHero
Don't worry. I am quite sure I'll mess up the BMAT anyway hahahahahahahah

LETS FAIL TOGETHER! *high five*

Let's try not to fail the BMAT! It's so tricky though! aahhhh!
How are you preparing/ currently getting?

Good luck all!
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm not doing to well atm :/

seem to be getting mainly 4.9s at this stage but really want high 5s/6s this year (y)

guess we'll see :P

prep wise I'm just doing all the past papers I physically can
Reply 52
What I learnt from the crash course? Make sure you understand what the question is asking you before answering, make sure you know your GCSE science perectly and that you practice under timed conditions. I did one BMAT past paper and in section 1 I got 22 marks and 17 in section 2. I think that with practice this can be improved, but it is difficult to say whether a performance like this will get me an interview as the past paper was the 2004 one and they do not have a grading scale. How are you getting on?
EDIT: Where did you get the shortlisting sheet? Thank you so much!
Original post by champion1
Hi! I am new to this thread. I applied to Imperial too!

My stats: (GCSES: 9A* 2A) --- (AS: 4As) --- (A2 predicted: 4A*)
Dreading BMAT. How are you preparing for it and what are you getting at the moment?
:smile: Good luck to you too!

Hi! Please can you tell me about the questions they ask at interview and how did you answer them! I am so scared about interviews and how to prepare for them, your advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Do you know when interviews start! I'm so dreading interviews! :eek:
How is BMAT going for you? What are you getting? How are you preparing? I am terrified for BMAT as well! aaahhh!!

Good luck to you all!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Hectors
What I learnt from the crash course? Make sure you understand what the question is asking you before answering, make sure you know your GCSE science perectly and that you practice under timed conditions. I did one BMAT past paper and in section 1 I got 22 marks and 17 in section 2. I think that with practice this can be improved, but it is difficult to say whether a performance like this will get me an interview as the past paper was the 2004 one and they do not have a grading scale. How are you getting on?
EDIT: Where did you get the shortlisting sheet? Thank you so much!

Thanks! That's really helpful. For the 2004 one as well I got 17 for section 1 and 13 for section 2. I missed 8 questions on the section 1 and 5 on section 2 so I'm struggling for time despite working as quickly as I could.

You are getting much better than me. How are you preparing/what have you done to prepare so far and what are your plans leading up to the exam? Thank you!

I got the shortlist sheet for Imperial from here.
Reply 54
Original post by champion1
Thanks! That's really helpful. For the 2004 one as well I got 17 for section 1 and 13 for section 2. I missed 8 questions on the section 1 and 5 on section 2 so I'm struggling for time despite working as quickly as I could.

You are getting much better than me. How are you preparing/what have you done to prepare so far and what are your plans leading up to the exam? Thank you!

I got the shortlist sheet for Imperial from here.

I used the online revision guide for s2, and i used the 400 questions book to help me with s1. Other than that not much else really :smile:
Which section is the hardest for you guys? Section 1 seems to be harder but Section 2 seems to be more time consuming, I can never finish in time!
Reply 56
Which section is the hardest for you guys? Section 1 seems to be harder but Section 2 seems to be more time consuming, I can never finish in time!

S1 is more difficult in term of problem solving/thinking, section 2 is hell due to timing! So basically yes, I agree with you
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey does anyone know when the BMAT plays a part in the selection process? It seems like neither the shortlisting rubric and the final offer rubric contains the bmat segment. Also, do we get informed of our shortlisting before or after bmat results? Thanks in advance
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by smilepeople
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey does anyone know when the BMAT plays a part in the selection process? It seems like neither the shortlisting rubric and the final offer rubric contains the bmat segment. Also, do we get informed of our shortlisting before or after bmat results? Thanks in advance

"Imperial College London operate a cut-off score for the BMAT - this is the first thing that is considered before your application is considered. You must meet the cut-off in every section including both parts of the section 3 score) for your application to be looked at further. The majority of applicants to Imperial College are rejected as they do not meet the BMAT cut-off - for 2013 entry, just 646 applicants met the BMAT cutoff. For 2013 entry, the cut-off score was lower than in preceding years at 4.7 4.6 2.5 C, although this was because the mean BMAT score fell in 2012.

At Imperial, they have priority groups using BMAT cut-off scores. If you only just meet the BMAT cut-off then there is a low chance of being invited to interview. For 2012 entry (where the cut-off was 4.9 4.9 2.5 C), the 'high priority' band 1 had a BMAT cut-off score of 5.7 5.7 3.5 B; band 2 had a cut-off score of 5.2 5.2 3.0 B and to make it into band 3 requires the minimum BMAT Score which was 4.9 4.9 2.5 C for 2012 entry. At first, candidates from band 1 are viewed and called for interview. If there are still spaces left, the candidates in band 2 are considered to fill any remaining spaces. If there are still places remaining, then candidates from band 3 are considered."
Is it actually possible for ppl whose BMAT fall into band 2 get an interview?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending