The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk XIV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous #2
I wrote it wrong in the first place :tongue: Will do, thanks :smile:

---------------------------------

Just been in the shower thinking. Does anybody else remember the controversy when this thread went from depression support society to MH support society? :tongue:

yes! ahhh DepSoc :moon: it was such a different place back then! and so many people have left us :frown:
Original post by Team_McDreamy
yes! ahhh DepSoc :moon: it was such a different place back then! and so many people have left us :frown:

I must have been a sleep or something cause you remember it, but joined here after I did and yet I don't remember a thing. Someone fill in the blanks for me :colondollar: :lol:
Original post by james1211
Got told I should have been drinking while we were out last night for someone's birthday. I get that it's unusual not to but I don't really enjoy it anymore and surely it's my choice? Was I wrong not to get drunk because it's unusual?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My parents made my house an alcohol free zone a month ago. I feel so much better after my alcohol free month. For me alcohol is bad medium term and long term, and alright short term i.e. when drunk. Though i could feel better just because my new antidepressant dose is kicking in.
I think it's fine that you didn't drink. I don't know how the stuff affects you but for me it's well worth trading off the short term pleasure which is cut off by passing out for the long term happiness.
Original post by IDukem
I must have been a sleep or something cause you remember it, but joined here after I did and yet I don't remember a thing. Someone fill in the blanks for me :colondollar: :lol:

i created this account long after i began posting in depsoc :tongue: i was in depsoc as either anon1 or anon2 for like 3 or 4 threads before i got round to this account!

It was indeed. Yeah they have, bittersweet really. Do you know what happened to ViceVersa?

Original post by IDukem

Basically people were posting in the thread about other illnesses that weren't depression so somebody suggested the name be changed. That's how I remember it at least.
i created this account long after i began posting in depsoc :tongue: i was in depsoc as either anon1 or anon2 for like 3 or 4 threads before i got round to this account!

Ohhhhh sorry for prying :redface:

I remember something like a depression society, but I couldn't remember it changing into this :colondollar:
It was indeed. Yeah they have, bittersweet really. Do you know what happened to ViceVersa?

Basically people were posting in the thread about other illnesses that weren't depression so somebody suggested the name be changed. That's how I remember it at least.

Didn't she request a permaban?

I recall there being two threads with one being MHSS and the other being a depression based one. I assume they merged or something...I don't know, either way, we have an awesome society called MHSS now :mmm:
Original post by IDukem

I recall there being two threads with one being MHSS and the other being a depression based one. I assume they merged or something...I don't know, either way, we have an awesome society called MHSS now :mmm:

It is a good society :yep: we should definitely do another big meetup sometime :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

nope, we had a big argument and stopped talking :colondollar: safe to say i wasn't her biggest fan for a while... have been wondering what she's up to now - and Nut and Laut_Biru too!

there was just a whole load of controversy because some people were saying they should keep the depsoc and just create a whole bunch of other threads for people with bipolar or personality disorders or schizophrenia, and basically every time somebody brought the topic up, there was a big quarrel and it was left to one side again :tongue:
Original post by IDukem
Ohhhhh sorry for prying :redface:

I remember something like a depression society, but I couldn't remember it changing into this :colondollar:

haha, dw about it, its hardly a major secret :tongue:
Just been in the shower thinking. Does anybody else remember the controversy when this thread went from depression support society to MH support society? :tongue:

The way I remember it Laut and IGregg basically wanted to break up DepSoc into a separate thread for each illness, effectively killing the society as a place where people with all kinds of mental illnesses could come together. ViceVersa was kind of on their side, but in a nicer way. In the end TSR authorities stepped in and decided the Depression Society would become the Mental Health Support Society. Laut left some time after that to do **** knows what, and the less said about IGregg the better. :lol:

That's my recollection of what happened at least. :smile:
Original post by IDukem

I think so. Last I heard she got into medicine at Keele and deferred for a year. Hope she's ok wherever she is.

I think they did, yeah. We do! :hugs:
nope, we had a big argument and stopped talking :colondollar: safe to say i wasn't her biggest fan for a while... have been wondering what she's up to now - and Nut and Laut_Biru too!

there was just a whole load of controversy because some people were saying they should keep the depsoc and just create a whole bunch of other threads for people with bipolar or personality disorders or schizophrenia, and basically every time somebody brought the topic up, there was a big quarrel and it was left to one side again :tongue:

haha, dw about it, its hardly a major secret :tongue:

Original post by superwolf
The way I remember it Laut and IGregg basically wanted to break up DepSoc into a separate thread for each illness, effectively killing the society as a place where people with all kinds of mental illnesses could come together. ViceVersa was kind of on their side, but in a nicer way. In the end TSR authorities stepped in and decided the Depression Society would become the Mental Health Support Society. Laut left some time after that to do **** knows what, and the less said about IGregg the better. :lol:

Ahh right, I don't remember it being that serious :lol: We've emerged stronger :yep:
Ahh right, I don't remember it being that serious :lol: We've emerged stronger :yep:

Depression Society was still a cool name though... :moon:
Original post by Odd socks
It is a good society :yep: we should definitely do another big meetup sometime :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not many places where I like every person in it like I do here :h:

I think so. Last I heard she got into medicine at Keele and deferred for a year. Hope she's ok wherever she is.

I think they did, yeah. We do! :hugs:

One person I miss is Batee08 as she requested a permaban after I went on some rant about how people ignore people in real life, on TSR etc. and she tried helping me and I was still stupidly ranting and then the next thing I know, she requested a permaban. To this day, I'm still annoyed with myself and can't help feel responsible for her requesting a ban :sad: I adored that girl and she was always there for when I needed it and thus I felt like a doucher cause I still to this day feel like I drove her away due to my stupidity :sad:

Yesssssir it's a good ickle place !! :hugs:

yeah, thats basically it. i also remember at some point depsoc didn't have the restrictions it has now, and descriptions of SH/suicide were a lot more graphic than i first expected them to be.

tbh i wasn't under the impression that Laut actually wanted to do that, she was just being ridiculously pedantic and taking things to the extreme to illustrate a point that was basically that she didn't want anything to change.
yeah, thats basically it. i also remember at some point depsoc didn't have the restrictions it has now, and descriptions of SH/suicide were a lot more graphic than i first expected them to be.

tbh i wasn't under the impression that Laut actually wanted to do that, she was just being ridiculously pedantic and taking things to the extreme to illustrate a point that was basically that she didn't want anything to change.

A lot of stuff went on behind closed doors, I'm not sure that any one of us actually knows the full picture. :tongue:

The good thing is that the society survived (albeit under a less amusing name :grumble:), and we've still got a ton of lovely people posting. :smile:
I'm just glad this place exists whatever name it may be under. You guys are amazing.
A lot of stuff went on behind closed doors, I'm not sure that any one of us actually knows the full picture. :tongue:

The good thing is that the society survived (albeit under a less amusing name :grumble:), and we've still got a ton of lovely people posting. :smile:

depsoc is a lot easier and more fun to say too :tongue:

and yeah, a whole load of crap went down between individual people on Skype/msn/facebook, iirc - and it had all been bubbling underneath the surface for a while

i do find myself wondering about some of the people who left us though
Depression Society was still a cool name though... :moon:

It definitely was.

Original post by IDukem
Not many places where I like every person in it like I do here :h:

One person I miss is Batee08 as she requested a permaban after I went on some rant about how people ignore people in real life, on TSR etc. and she tried helping me and I was still stupidly ranting and then the next thing I know, she requested a permaban. To this day, I'm still annoyed with myself and can't help feel responsible for her requesting a ban :sad: I adored that girl and she was always there for when I needed it and thus I felt like a doucher cause I still to this day feel like I drove her away due to my stupidity :sad:

Yesssssir it's a good ickle place !! :hugs:

It probably wasn't your fault, she is the one who requested the ban.

Definitely a good place. There is no other place where I can write/say what I am feeling and have a bunch of lovely people jump at the chance to help me. Luckily I've improved a lot since MHSS emerged but DepSoc certainly saved my life a few times.
I was never part of Dep Soc and that was intentional. Once wandered onto the first page of one of the threads and was pretty horrified by the graphic stuff I read on there.

I prefer the much safer environment we have now. The OP of MHSS made it feel safe to join :colondollar:

Latest