The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Martie08
Which exam board are you on?
Ah, that's another one of my dilemmas. My school is good but there are lots of things about it that annoy me. There's a really good sixth form college about a 20 min bus journey away from me, which I'm considering. So I'm yet to decide, though I'll probably stay at my school.

Tbh I think if you've been at a school since year 7, there are bound to be things that are going to annoy you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by karmacrunch
Oh wow. :eek:

Only 1hr 20 mins? Mine are an hour. What kind of things are you expected to do in the exam? :tongue:

You're welcome, I'm sure you'll do just fine!

At my school our lessons are 40 minutes but our ICT sessions are double lessons, so we end up having two 1hr 20 mins lessons a week. In the exam we have to design a website.

Our teacher wants us to come into school during half term so we can practice; I'm on holiday on both the days that they're holding these sessions though so after half term he wants me to stay behind after school on a Friday to practice :s-smilie:

Do you have your mocks coming up soon?
Original post by vd12345
yh you have 'art mocks' which actually count towards your final grade, as it is placed in your coursework book...
oh the joys of artistic studies :frown:

You do Art? I didn't know! :tongue: Wow, I've heard that almost everything you do counts towards your final grade! Good luck though! :biggrin:

What did you pick as your theme? ^_^
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by germanshepherd_
So what are you guys thinking of taking for A-Levels? or are some of you considering IB???

I'm thinking of doing English Lit, Psychology, Sociology, and either Spanish or R.S. All of my options will be affected by the upcoming A Level changes, apart from Spanish/R.S, either of which I will most likely drop after AS anyway :frown:

What subjects are you thinking of taking?
Anyone thinking of doing medicine in the future? Or nursing? What a-level are you taking?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by germanshepherd_
So what are you guys thinking of taking for A-Levels? or are some of you considering IB???

I'm thinking of taking Government and Politics, Philosophy, Chinese and Music. Others I'm considering are Psychology and English Language, perhaps even Physics.
Original post by Canttellyou
Tbh I think if you've been at a school since year 7, there are bound to be things that are going to annoy you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know, I know, but the politics at my school are just ridiculous sometimes. For example, they have abolished the common room and made it all one study area. If you're not working, you get kicked out into the corridor. I can see more changes like that happening and I don't know if I can be bothered putting up with that and being treated like a child when I could go to a college that actually gets better results and be given a greater degree of autonomy in terms of managing my work. Evidently, there's plus sides to staying at my school like the familiarity with staff & pupils. I'm as of yet undecided and need to go to some open days/evenings and such.
Original post by Martie08
I know, I know, but the politics at my school are just ridiculous sometimes. For example, they have abolished the common room and made it all one study area. If you're not working, you get kicked out into the corridor. I can see more changes like that happening and I don't know if I can be bothered putting up with that and being treated like a child when I could go to a college that actually gets better results and be given a greater degree of autonomy in terms of managing my work. Evidently, there's plus sides to staying at my school like the familiarity with staff & pupils. I'm as of yet undecided and need to go to some open days/evenings and such.

Open evenings can really help you make your mind up. I didn't really believe it until I saw it myself I just thought, all the schools are just trying to sell themselves. But then I went to an open morning at one school and I really didn't like it, but I'm glad I went otherwise I would've blindly applied.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kimberlymegsx
Anyone thinking of doing medicine in the future? Or nursing? What a-level are you taking?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm thinking of doing medicine and my A Levels are Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Geography. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by karmacrunch
You do Art? I didn't know! :tongue: Wow, I've heard that almost everything you do counts towards your final grade! Good luck though! :biggrin:

What did you pick as your theme? ^_^
Posted from TSR Mobile

i don't know! im still confused. We did ordinary and extraordinary in year 10, and my theme was basketball.
I'm interested in studying Biochemistry at Uni and I'm in Year 11 so I'm picking my A-levels. I'm not that strong in math so I'm trying really hard and I'm worried about taking it as an AS... even though it'd be highly useful. I'm most interested to go to UCL (or another top university), but I'm just worried about my math and stuff. I'll put in all the work I need too but I'm still worried. :s-smilie: Anyone here interested in the same thing as me and know what A-levels they're taking?
Original post by Seeyousoon
I'm interested in studying Biochemistry at Uni and I'm in Year 11 so I'm picking my A-levels. I'm not that strong in math so I'm trying really hard and I'm worried about taking it as an AS... even though it'd be highly useful. I'm most interested to go to UCL (or another top university), but I'm just worried about my math and stuff. I'll put in all the work I need too but I'm still worried. :s-smilie: Anyone here interested in the same thing as me and know what A-levels they're taking?

Woo me too, might go for law though .

I'm going to do:

Maths
Biology
Chemistry
History

But I'm good at maths :frown:

Don't do a subject at A Level unless you enjoy it. Maths is a difficult subject and if you don't like it you qon't be motivated enough to succeed.

Do something you enjoy instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obiejess
Woo me too, might go for law though .

I'm going to do:

Maths
Biology
Chemistry
History

But I'm good at maths :frown:

Don't do a subject at A Level unless you enjoy it. Maths is a difficult subject and if you don't like it you qon't be motivated enough to succeed.

Do something you enjoy instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I was thinking of either Biology, Chemistry, History and English Lit OR Computing OR Pshycology. But the better I'm getting at math, the more I'm enjoying it, and I love how I really struggled and was a D grade in Year 10, C by the end of Year 10, and now I'm almost a B grade, so I'm finding it easier which is really boosting my happiness and confidence, but I'm still worried about taking it as an AS because it's so difficult. I know it's highly useful for getting into good universities for Biochemistry though. :confused: Really don't know what to do...
Yeah, I was thinking of either Biology, Chemistry, History and English Lit OR Computing OR Pshycology. But the better I'm getting at math, the more I'm enjoying it, and I love how I really struggled and was a D grade in Year 10, C by the end of Year 10, and now I'm almost a B grade, so I'm finding it easier which is really boosting my happiness and confidence, but I'm still worried about taking it as an AS because it's so difficult. I know it's highly useful for getting into good universities for Biochemistry though. :confused: Really don't know what to do...

Seriously don't do it.

An A in Eng Lit is going to be more useful to you than an E in Maths.

I'd personally go for English.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Seriously don't do it.

An A in Eng Lit is going to be more useful to you than an E in Maths.

I'd personally go for English.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I might do. I just don't want to regret my choices; because I absolutely love the Biochemistry course and I'm determined to get onto it right now. I don't want to take History and English and then regret taking them because I got 5 rejections on the course.
Yeah I might do. I just don't want to regret my choices; because I absolutely love the Biochemistry course and I'm determined to get onto it right now. I don't want to take History and English and then regret taking them because I got 5 rejections on the course.

UCL only want Chem + Another subject

You won't get rejections.
Why not physics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
UCL only want Chem + Another subject

You won't get rejections.
Why not physics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chem + Bio will hopefully do me fine, but what about the mathematical content in the Biochemistry course? I'm worried about that, although I do have a keen interest in the course and hopefully I'll find it a bit easier and be able to compose a list of things I need to work on so I don't get tripped up too much.

My brother took physics and hated it; and recently I'm not enjoying it at GCSE, so I feel I wouldn't enjoy it at AS/A2.
Chem + Bio will hopefully do me fine, but what about the mathematical content in the Biochemistry course? I'm worried about that, although I do have a keen interest in the course and hopefully I'll find it a bit easier and be able to compose a list of things I need to work on so I don't get tripped up too much.

My brother took physics and hated it; and recently I'm not enjoying it at GCSE, so I feel I wouldn't enjoy it at AS/A2.

I think you'll be fine, more than likely because you'll be studying it in a biochemical context.

Fair enough - stop stressing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you'll be fine, more than likely because you'll be studying it in a biochemical context.

Fair enough - stop stressing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha will do! I'm so determined to get out of school, I'm so bored with it and I hate it - I have a terrible time socially - so I want to make sure I'm doing well academically so I can get out of here. :colondollar:
Haha will do! I'm so determined to get out of school, I'm so bored with it and I hate it - I have a terrible time socially - so I want to make sure I'm doing well academically so I can get out of here. :colondollar:

I hate school too😬 what are you planning on doing afterwards?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest