The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GorlimtheUnhappy
Well at least Victor Moses isn't playing for us anymore

True, it was refreshing to see us bringing on Coutinho today as opposed to bringing on Moses last season...
Not sure whether attack or defence is worse at the moment tbh. We're absolutely ****ing useless and don't deserve to be here in the table. Not been a convincing performance all season bar Spurs game.

So reliant on Sterling and Sturridge atm, it's ridiculous given the number of signings made.

Really hope things pick up soon or god knows where we'll finish.
Original post by Endless Blue
Not sure whether attack or defence is worse at the moment tbh. We're absolutely ****ing useless and don't deserve to be here in the table. Not been a convincing performance all season bar Spurs game.

So reliant on Sterling and Sturridge atm, it's ridiculous given the number of signings made.

Really hope things pick up soon or god knows where we'll finish.

Would Rodgers get the sack if he finished 5th and got knocked out in the CL groupstages?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mackay
Bale doubtful to be fit for us on Wednesday night.

oh yay, we're gonna win now.:K:
Reply 4024
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Would Rodgers get the sack if he finished 5th and got knocked out in the CL groupstages?

Posted from TSR Mobile

no
Reply 4025
Original post by Mackay
Whatever happens, I think Manquillo and Coutinho both need to come into the side against Madrid.

Manquillo and Moreno will definitely come in, they were just being rested today. Coutinho or Allen will come in for Can. I'm undecided on whether I'd prefer Borini or Lambert to start. Probably Borini, because it's movement up top that we're really lacking atm and that's what Borini provides. Balotelli shouldn't even be in the 18.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, and he shouldn't be either. I definitely have faith in Brendan but things aren't going well at the moment. Let's see how things pick up.
Original post by cBay
no

Fair enough, ive been seeing Liverpool fans calling for Rodger's head and some even predicting he'll be sacked by Christmas. Tbh he did buy poorly in the summer (although its only 8 games in and a bit harsh to judge them since its still early into the season).

Just seen your post saying Balo shouldnt be in the 18 :lol:. You think he'll be gone by January? He has so much promise but he's fast becoming known for his reputation rather than his talent. He has everything to become one of the world's best players but i guess he's mentally ****ed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4028
Fair enough, ive been seeing Liverpool fans calling for Rodger's head and some even predicting he'll be sacked by Christmas. Tbh he did buy poorly in the summer (although its only 8 games in and a bit harsh to judge them since its still early into the season).

Just seen your post saying Balo shouldnt be in the 18 :lol:. You think he'll be gone by January? He has so much promise but he's fast becoming known for his reputation rather than his talent. He has everything to become one of the world's best players but i guess he's mentally ****ed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can forgive a striker for being out of form or missing the occasional sitter. These things happen. I can't forgive a striker who just stands on the halfway line and watches whilst the rest of our forwards are counter-attacking. It's pure laziness.
lol just the idea of Johnson starting on Wednesday, or Enrique for that matter.

What's going on with Sakho now?
No, and he shouldn't be either. I definitely have faith in Brendan but things aren't going well at the moment. Let's see how things pick up.

Yeah i guess we can judge after Christmas. Heck you guys have been woeful but you're still sitting 5th.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cBay
I can forgive a striker for being out of form or missing the occasional sitter. These things happen. I can't forgive a striker who just stands on the halfway line and watches whilst the rest of our forwards are counter-attacking. It's pure laziness.

This.

the thing that frustrates most of us liverpool fans about balotelli is exactly what you said - he just doesn't put the effort in.
even his reaction when our winning goal went in.
he wasn't really celebrating; he doesn't seem to care if we win or lose, he doesn't seem to care about being a team player, he seems to only care that he scores.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cBay

I dont seem to understand him tbh. It really is his last chance at a big club and if he fails at Liverpool i cant see many other top clubs taking a risk on him. He plays for himself instead of the team. Although he did say before the game that he prefers playing with someone up front and maybe Rodgers should have made changes? However you dont make changes for one player and definately not for Baloletti.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol just the idea of Johnson starting on Wednesday, or Enrique for that matter.

What's going on with Sakho now?

Didnt he have a row with Rodgers? He's either injured or is being left/frozen out intentionally

Posted from TSR Mobile
Didnt he have a row with Rodgers? He's either injured or is being left/frozen out intentionally

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well he stormed out of the stadium after not being picked at the end of September I think. Don't think he is injured but admittedly I haven't been keeping track.

He's apologised for his behaviour and tbh I think we should now try to move forward. The hope was that Lovren and Sakho could develop a partnership but that seems to be quickly going to ****. Need to bed down a solid back four who know and understand each other. (In case it wasn't obvious that should be Manquillo - Lovren - Sakho - Moreno.)
okay so we've conceded 12 goals in 8 games.
that's a ridiculous average of 1.5 per game and 57 over the entire PL season.

7 more than we conceded last season with an attack that is way below par - it's not looking good.
add that to the fact that we still have to play chelsea, arsenal and united before xmas; all top teams that have no real problem scoring goals...
unless we have a massive step up when sturridge returns or upgrade in january, is it worth being optimistic?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lúcio
okay so we've conceded 12 goals in 8 games.
that's a ridiculous average of 1.5 per game and 57 over the entire PL season.

7 more than we conceded last season with an attack that is way below par - it's not looking good.
add that to the fact that we still have to play chelsea, arsenal and united before xmas; all top teams that have no real problem scoring goals...
unless we have a massive step up when sturridge returns or upgrade in january, is it worth being optimistic?

Tbh we have a woeful defence as well. But our attack ****s on yours :colone:. If Sturridge returns then United Liverpol game could end up with a ridiculous scoreline.

Seriously Welbeck will score goals against your defence and Costa will have no problem in scoring past your defence (tbh he'll probably score against any defence bar a rare few). Liverpool lose to Chelsea, Arsenal and United and you can say goodbye to those top 4 hopes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well he stormed out of the stadium after not being picked at the end of September I think. Don't think he is injured but admittedly I haven't been keeping track.

He's apologised for his behaviour and tbh I think we should now try to move forward. The hope was that Lovren and Sakho could develop a partnership but that seems to be quickly going to ****. Need to bed down a solid back four who know and understand each other. (In case it wasn't obvious that should be Manquillo - Lovren - Sakho - Moreno.)

God knows then,he seems to have disappeared.

Sakho is a 'meh' player for Liverpool imo. He plays really well for France so its a mystery why he cant replicate that for Liverpool. It's probably because he has a better partner in Kos or Varane when he plays for French national team. Lovren is woeful, sorry but 20m for him is criminal. Manquilo has impressed me especially how he seems to have settled quite quickly. Moreno is a quality signing and attacking wise he seems great although he does seem a bit suspect defensively and mainly because of a loss of concentration.

United and Liverpool both need a settled backline tbh. Arsenal are struggling with injuries at the back as well. Seriously it's asif no one wants to finish top 4 bar City and Chelsea:lol:. Southampton are doing great but its more like WBA last season, great start but they began to falter as the season went on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4038
Posted from TSR Mobile

Rodgers will be here for many years imo, even if we do have a bad season here or there. I don't think our summer was that bad tbh.

I think Moreno and Manquillo have proven themselves to be good signings. As someone who watched a lot of Southampton last season and before, I'm absolutely certain that Lallana and Lovren will also prove themselves to be top quality.

Lambert was simply bought to give the squad something it didn't have. Some people have been critical of his performances but he made a real impact against in the first couple of games when he came on as a sub. He's clearly lacking sharpness, but he'd be scoring plenty of goals by now if he'd been given the same chance as Balotelli to get up to fitness.

Markovic showed small glimpses of what he's about in pre-season but really that injury seems to have destroyed any chance he has of making any big impact this season. Probably overpaid for him although we won't be able to judge that for a few years yet. We've gotta remember he's only 20. Not everybody can be a Sterling.

Balotelli was a last resort. Rodgers even said himself that he had no interest in signing him. We looked at other options and simply couldn't get them in for varying reasons. It was a risk and one that unfortunately doesn't seem like working out. As you said, it's probably his last chance at a big club so I guess we thought he might actually get his act together. It's a shame about Remy's failed medical. In hindsight, we probably should have paid a little bit extra to be able to get Origi this season, but his goalscoring record wasn't exactly great last season so it seemed the best option at the time for him to have another year at Lille.
Tbh we have a woeful defence as well. But our attack ****s on yours :colone:. If Sturridge returns then United Liverpol game could end up with a ridiculous scoreline.

Seriously Welbeck will score goals against your defence and Costa will have no problem in scoring past your defence (tbh he'll probably score against any defence bar a rare few). Liverpool lose to Chelsea, Arsenal and United and you can say goodbye to those top 4 hopes

Posted from TSR Mobile

meh, things change.
our attack was better last season, yours is easily superior this year.
i don't really want to think about our defence coming up against di maria, falcao, mata, rooney and van persie right now...
although sturridge and sterling vs your defence is something that could be comedy gold.

nobody can stop costa, it's just how many you can limit him too.
look at how easily a "meh" player likezamora owned our defenders today, costa could do that easily but he can also create his own chances and finish them off.
welbeck wouldn't fare as well because he isn't as strong but i don't think arsenal would have much trouble supplying him with chances if our defence doesn't improve.

redknapp got it perfect today - a hilarious way to overwhelm our defence is to literally stick one big strong forward up top and route one it to him.
not even joking, it's that simple.
add a few pacey wingers either side and he'll just knock it on for them.
QPR should've battered us today; the reason they didn't is the same reason they're going down bottom this year.

Quick Reply

Latest