The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Woohoo!!! My UCAS application has been sent. Now comes the stress of checking Track every minute of the day whilst I wait for them to decide whether or not they want to send me an offer :s-smilie:
Reply 81
Hey guys
am a 1st year SLT student at Manchester university who knows exactly what you guys are going through, because I went through same process last year. Just wanted to say please don't hesitate to pm if you have any questions about the application process including SLT at MU. Good luck!
Hi - on the application for city, under the finance bit, it asked for your NHS trust name, manager's name, and their email address.

I was under the impression you just applied for funding once you had a place.

Can anyone help me? Please!!
Original post by Shadow8230
Hi - on the application for city, under the finance bit, it asked for your NHS trust name, manager's name, and their email address.

I was under the impression you just applied for funding once you had a place.

Can anyone help me? Please!!

Just put n/a as This is only for those who are being sponsored by their work trust. It does not apply to you as funding is provided by the nhs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 84
ARGH!!! I've done it!! I've sent off UCAS!!
I've applied for leeds becket (was met)
manchester met
birmingham city
and I've also applied for 2 linguistic courses one as main leeds and one at Huddersfield as back ups!
Now I just have to keep my fingers crossed!!!
Original post by Grace1Harley
Hi, so happy there's a 2015 forum! For the past six months I've wanted to be a speech therapist and I've already sent off my application to UCAS with the predicted grades A*A*A in English Lit, Theology, and Biology. I'm applying to Manchester, Newcastle, Sheffield, Leeds Met, and Manchester Met and I'm just wondering if anyone's received any offers yet? I'm really worried that I'm going to get rejected due to my A Level subjects not being the most relevant :frown: I also have a C in AS Level Chemistry.

Your subject choices are fine.

Universities do not start interviewing until December so you will be waiting awhile for an offer. I applied early to four of your five choices so I know the relative time scales involved.
Original post by evantej
Your subject choices are fine.k
Universities do not start interviewing until December so you will be waiting awhile for an offer. I applied early to four of your five choices so I know the relative time scales involved.

Thank you! That's really reassuring, how are you finding the course so far?
Original post by BoboG
Hi
Is their a demand for SLT's or a UK shortage as just wondering before i start to consider this option

If there wasn't a demand then the NHS wouldn't pay the course fees; all the universities have very high employment prospects - usually around 90% however things might be different in five years... who knows!
Any Strathclyde applicants? I'm in first year so feel free to ask questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Butterfly9595
Any Strathclyde applicants? I'm in first year so feel free to ask questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey nice to see familiar names dropping in n being nosey! How's it going in Scotland then?
Original post by AmyPilot
Hey nice to see familiar names dropping in n being nosey! How's it going in Scotland then?

Haha, seems to be a lot of people having a nosey XD it's going really well thanks, love the city, the course, and the group of people on it :smile: what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha, seems to be a lot of people having a nosey XD it's going really well thanks, love the city, the course, and the group of people on it :smile: what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah same - really enjoying it - even better than I thought it would be. So glad I am not going through the application process again though - once was enough lol. Keep well xx
Reply 92
Appreciate the positive reviews of studying SLT! really hope I manage to get on the course for next year. Was it the first year applying for both of you?
Original post by jisici
Appreciate the positive reviews of studying SLT! really hope I manage to get on the course for next year. Was it the first year applying for both of you?

It was for me - was doing my A levels. Where are you applying? Are you in college or a "mature" applicant? Good luck
Reply 94
I'm 26 and have a degree already but it's only a 2.2 :frown: I became ill and finished my degree with completely different subjects in my last year through the open university.

I'm volunteering with a local aphasia charity, going on a slt career training day next week and shadowing a slt next month. Not sure if I should send off my personal statement after shadowing or get it in earlier and I can talk about it if I get to interview.

Partly because of my grades and location I'm going for DMU and BCU :smile:
Original post by AmyPilot
Yeah same - really enjoying it - even better than I thought it would be. So glad I am not going through the application process again though - once was enough lol. Keep well xx

Yeah, couldn't do it again! You too, enjoy :biggrin: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jisici

I'm a wee bit more complicated - I applied for something else first cycle, then decided I couldn't face exams any more so took a year out. I then ended up changing to Speech Therapy and was lucky enough to get in on my first try :smile:
As for your other post - totally up to you when you submit it - you could always mention you've arranged it and send it now if you want, and get the actual sending of the application out of the way. I sent mind just before Xmas though, so I don't think it matters too much :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jisici
I'm 26 and have a degree already but it's only a 2.2 :frown: I became ill and finished my degree with completely different subjects in my last year through the open university.

I'm volunteering with a local aphasia charity, going on a slt career training day next week and shadowing a slt next month. Not sure if I should send off my personal statement after shadowing or get it in earlier and I can talk about it if I get to interview.

Partly because of my grades and location I'm going for DMU and BCU :smile:

Sorry I can offer no words of advice but I didn't apply to either of your choices - DMU don't interview though do they? They didn't last year anyway. You could send off your application early but refer to your opportunity to shadow a slt maybe if you want to start the ball rolling. You seem to have more experience than I had in any event. Also no real need to rush it as the process goes on way into March/April/May! Good luck
Reply 98
I'm a wee bit more complicated - I applied for something else first cycle, then decided I couldn't face exams any more so took a year out. I then ended up changing to Speech Therapy and was lucky enough to get in on my first try :smile:
As for your other post - totally up to you when you submit it - you could always mention you've arranged it and send it now if you want, and get the actual sending of the application out of the way. I sent mind just before Xmas though, so I don't think it matters too much :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I might send it mid-november then! Thanks for the tip hehe.
Reply 99
Oh and DMU are interviewing for the first time this year.. I don't know anything about what the process will be like though! The uni has gone up the Times University Guide rating about 40 places this year so maybe they're being more selective... eep!

Quick Reply

Latest