The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4040
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Teaching is the ultimate 'learn by doing' job. No amount of theory can ever prepare you for the reality of the classroom.

Have to agree with this. I can't wait to get more time in the school and learn by consistently being in the place of work. At the moment, with it broken up between university and school its hard to know whether I'm coming or going.
Original post by Mr JB
Have to agree with this. I can't wait to get more time in the school and learn by consistently being in the place of work. At the moment, with it broken up between university and school its hard to know whether I'm coming or going.

Can't remember a bit of theory I was ever taught (can't remember much these days anyway...) except one thing: when you've told a kid off for doing something annoying and they do it once more, then stop, it's ok to let that go because if you don't let a kid withdraw with his dignity intact, you are going to reap the whirlwind. Can't remember anything else from any single lecture ever. That one's true, though.
This is interesting to read, and very reassuring in some ways. I guess I just have to get through it and try and put my focus on my school experience.
Original post by Esmeralda4
I am in uni next week after my 3 week orientation on placement... I'm not feeling overly thrilled about this - I have LOVED my placement so far and done really well in my first assessment point. Now I am faced with tons of uni work for seminars as well as the things I've already been working on, and the thought of being in lectures again is so strange after being in school. Anyone else feel like they are learning way more in school? I can't wait to be back in 2 weeks. :-D

Perhaps in contrast to what others have said I'm gonna say try to take advantage of the uni time and chance to reflect and think of the bigger picture while you have it.

I totally agree that it's a very learn on the job thing, and that you have to try things out for yourself. It's also common for PGCE students to feel a bit odd going back to uni when you are in the flow of school.

However, on the PGCE you are only introduced to two main placements. If you only had that then you wouldn't have a chance to see other ideas about the way things can be done. Every school and teacher is different and I think it's very important to find the type of education you agree with. To do this fully you need to figure out what you think about childhood, about how children learn. It's also easier to keep your principles in mind rather than getting distracted by the day to day of planning techniques, data, marking. I feel my time in uni, though not all exactly how I would have organised it, really allowed me to develop my principles and they are really what it's all about. Plus it gave me invaluable time to catch up with coursemates and compare what we were all doing. Many new ideas were gained through this.

Xxx
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
Perhaps in contrast to what others have said I'm gonna say try to take advantage of the uni time and chance to reflect and think of the bigger picture while you have it.

I totally agree that it's a very learn on the job thing, and that you have to try things out for yourself. It's also common for PGCE students to feel a bit odd going back to uni when you are in the flow of school.

However, on the PGCE you are only introduced to two main placements. If you only had that then you wouldn't have a chance to see other ideas about the way things can be done. Every school and teacher is different and I think it's very important to find the type of education you agree with. To do this fully you need to figure out what you think about childhood, about how children learn. It's also easier to keep your principles in mind rather than getting distracted by the day to day of planning techniques, data, marking. I feel my time in uni, though not all exactly how I would have organised it, really allowed me to develop my principles and they are really what it's all about. Plus it gave me invaluable time to catch up with coursemates and compare what we were all doing. Many new ideas were gained through this.

Xxx
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your response! I will try to make the most of the time in uni despite it feeling, as you said, slightly odd. I am obviously excited to catch up with everyone so that will be nice. I'm just trying not to let all the assignments stress me out!
Thanks for your response! I will try to make the most of the time in uni despite it feeling, as you said, slightly odd. I am obviously excited to catch up with everyone so that will be nice. I'm just trying not to let all the assignments stress me out!

Yes, don't panic about the assignments. Use the bits you can find useful, and remember they are only a minor part of it. And remember they want you to pass, no PGCE provider wants students to not pass so they will provide ample support and opportunities for you to get it all done by the end of the course.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have really enjoyed my placement and teaching a whole lesson to a whole class for the first time ever :biggrin: but I am back at uni for a week and then have a study week. I am glad in a way as I want some time to reflect on it all and discuss everyone's placements and how they are going!

We are also getting some relevant lectures/seminars and we are supposed to be preparing for our masters level essay :eek:
I'm teaching a whole lesson to year 7s on Wednesday. I haven't done any teaching at all yet and I feel a bit like I'm running before I can walk.

Am I out of my depth or is this a normal thing to start teaching with a whole hour of lesson?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I'm teaching a whole lesson to year 7s on Wednesday. I haven't done any teaching at all yet and I feel a bit like I'm running before I can walk.

Am I out of my depth or is this a normal thing to start teaching with a whole hour of lesson?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's fine year 7s are lovely, they are still new to the school as you are. You will be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pgce2013
It's fine year 7s are lovely, they are still new to the school as you are. You will be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've worked with them a bit before answering questions, making suggestions and helping groups and stuff.

It's just teaching sounds so scary at the moment :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you done any whole class interactions? Eg/ register, starter activities... I'm in Primary and that's what I've done so far. When I go back after half term I'll be straight into whole lesson teaching - 6 lessons a week to begin with.
Have you done any whole class interactions? Eg/ register, starter activities... I'm in Primary and that's what I've done so far. When I go back after half term I'll be straight into whole lesson teaching - 6 lessons a week to begin with.

No starter or register taking. My mentor will be in the room with me ready to step in and I think they're a nice bunch on the whole. It's just behaviour management and pitching things correctly. I have a whole unit to teach before Christmas but I have a couple of spare lessons to run over into.

And I'm not all that loud either. I've done a register in my form and I'm still learning to project.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No starter or register taking. My mentor will be in the room with me ready to step in and I think they're a nice bunch on the whole. It's just behaviour management and pitching things correctly. I have a whole unit to teach before Christmas but I have a couple of spare lessons to run over into.

And I'm not all that loud either. I've done a register in my form and I'm still learning to project.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay. I honestly think the best way is s to just do it - you'll learn way more and once the first lesson is it of the way you'll probably feel much better. Good luck with it!! :-)
Good luck! My mentor has started me on year 7s and tomorrow will be my second full lesson with my y7 group and seriously theyre lovely at that age! Theyll be aa eager to please you aa you are them!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest, on my first placement when I eased myself into it by doing starters/plenaries, I found it much more difficult than on my second placement where I just started teaching full lessons straight away. I know I had a bit more experience by the time I was on my second placement, but I genuinely think it's much easier to take ownership of the class when you go straight in there and teach a whole lesson. Good luck, after a few lessons you'll feel like you've been doing it forever. X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Taught my first lesson today. The teacher I was taking over from said I had a really good rapport with the pupils. I'm quite pleased with myself, but it was absolutely exhausting!

By the way, it's weird how little I've been on this forum since starting my course. I've been reading this thread for probably over a year and picturing myself in the situation of the people here. Now I'm actually in that situation, I find I'm just busy getting on with it. I feel pretty enthused about it all still - it's a lot of work, but I'm enjoying it and I feel I have enough support from both uni and school to not need this forum particularly.
So today was an awful day..
I had virtually no sleep last night and felt like death warmed up so my brain was definately not functioning. My year 7 lesson wasnt great, they got all the work i needed them to do done, but my mentor said it was messy (which considering my brain had died isnt suprising) and by the end of the day i was the walking dead. Managed half the whole school staff meeting before i had to quietly nudge my mentor and say did she mind if i went as i was feeling truly awful. Kind of feel like ive failed today

I agree with the other poster about uni being the best place to gather your thoughts and build your principles. It is so easy to get caught up in the day to day of school otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ratchit99
So today was an awful day..
I had virtually no sleep last night and felt like death warmed up so my brain was definately not functioning. My year 7 lesson wasnt great, they got all the work i needed them to do done, but my mentor said it was messy (which considering my brain had died isnt suprising) and by the end of the day i was the walking dead. Managed half the whole school staff meeting before i had to quietly nudge my mentor and say did she mind if i went as i was feeling truly awful. Kind of feel like ive failed today

Don't feel like you've failed - you had one bad day, and everyone has them. Just make sure you get as much sleep as possible, eat well, maybe take some multivitamins or drink orange juice. Most teachers know the feeling of ploughing on despite feeling absolutely abysmal... but most will also tell you not to do it, you have to look after yourself!

Hope you feel a lot better tomorrow.

xxx
Tomorrow I teach my first lesson.

There's little to no data available about my pupils and it's a mixed ability group so I had a little difficulty with extension work as I didn't know how far to extend. Spoke to my mentor and I'm essentially supposed to treat them like the current year 9s because they're that good. I need to make sure I bring the lower ability pupils with me but they're going to be doing things I didn't think an eleven year old could do. Knocked me a little. Other than that my mentor likes the look of my lesson and I'm looking forward to it but I am terrified.

And we had an emergency staff meeting this afternoon to announce tomorrow's ofsted inspection.

Because that's exactly what I'll need on my first day: a panicked mentor, support staff all over the place and a sense of general dread across the whole school as they fight for the printers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending