The Student Room Group

Psychology Applicants for 2015 Entry Thread

Scroll to see replies

Applied for St andrews, Edinburgh, Durham, Warwick and queen mary for psychology. Got ABB (screwed up for the 4th subject economics E) in AS and predicted grades AAA.. do you think I will get any offers? So stressed right now
Original post by orphan_black
1) What universities are you thinking of applying to
UCL, King's College, Durham, Bristol and Exeter

2) What subjects do you do and what have you achieved in your AS year?
Psychology, History, Biology (dropped Physics); As in Psychology + History, very high C in Biology and an E in Physics!

3) GCSE grades?
4A*s, 4As and 3Bs (+ a Distinction* in Performing Arts)

Same! got a E in my fourth subject which i have dropped it already! But still it worries me:frown:
Original post by acireric
Hi, they are unlikely to consider you twice for choosing two different courses. I would suggest you to stick to one, probably the course that you prefer

Haha yes, I have since chosen to do straight Psychology at Durham and replaced the Applied option with Huddersfield Uni :smile:
Original post by Fomtox666
Haha yes, I have since chosen to do straight Psychology at Durham and replaced the Applied option with Huddersfield Uni :smile:

Nice! Good luck with your application
Original post by acireric
Nice! Good luck with your application

You too mate :wink: !
1. Universities + Requirements

Royal Holloway (AAA-AAB)
Warwick (AAB)
King's (AAB)
Southampton (AAB)
Queen Mary (ABB)

2. AS grades and predicted

Government and Politics - B (1 mark off an A)
Psychology - C (Retaking my D unit)
Economics - D (Retaking both units
Maths (Dropped) - C

Predicted AAB-ABB

3. GCSEs

10As, 3Bs, 1 Distinction*
Anyone got any offers yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No offer yet just 4 responses saying application has been received.
Reply 128
Original post by IAmEchelon
Anyone got any offers yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Applying for Psychology at UCL, Kings, Queen Mary’s, Royal Holloway and Manchester.

Offer from Royal Holloway AAB
Offer from Manchester AAb

AS grades
A Geography
A Psychology
B Biology
B I.C.T

GCSE grades
2A* 3A 4B

A level predictions
AAA
(edited 9 years ago)
Applied today for psychology!
Loughborough, sheffield, Leicester, lincoln

AS;
Psychology -A
Eng lit - A
Human biology -A
Biology -A
Maths-C

GCSE;
4A*, 3A, 4B

A LEVEL PREDICTION;
A*AB :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 130
Has anyone got any offers, interview invitations or anything from cambridge, ucl, kings college, queen mary or st andrews? I start to worry now hearing that others already got offers from other unis :confused:
Hi, I'm new :smile:
I'm about to apply for Exeter, Bristol, Cardiff, Southampton and Plymouth.
At AS I got ABCC and did Psychology(c), Biology(b), PE(a) and German(c).
I'm resitting one of my psychology units because got a D in one unit but A in the the other.
My predicted grades are AAB I think. Might try convince my teachers to move them to either A*AB or AAA though.
What do you think my chances of getting offers are? Please be honest! I'm so nervous!! Thankyou 😊😊😊
Original post by KateRobinson2
I am thinking of applying to:
Bristol, Southampton, Loughborough,Birmingham, Oxford Brooks and Reading

At AS I took and got:
Maths A
Psychology A
Geography B
Biology C( very High, retaking EMPA)

I am being predicted- AAA-AAB

At GCSE I got:
5A*, 3A, 2B, 1C

Do you think you may qualify for a contextual offer?? Bristol is AAA and they tend to be fairly strict about it (although they do say you can also get A*AB) unless offering a contextual AAB. So in terms of your GCSEs and A level subjects, it all looks good. In my opinion Psychology, Maths and Biology are probably the best combo for psych at uni due to the high bio and stats content, although strictly speaking none of them are compulsory yet and you get taught all the A level standard stuff - it just goes quite quickly in lectures. My psychology tutor at Bristol agreed with me when we were casually chatting about the undergrad course last year.

It's just how high or low your B in Geog was, and whether you get it predicted at an A instead of B. If you can get an AAA prediction it would help for Bristol.
Original post by ClaudiaaaX
Hi, I'm new :smile:
I'm about to apply for Exeter, Bristol, Cardiff, Southampton and Plymouth.
At AS I got ABCC and did Psychology(c), Biology(b), PE(a) and German(c).
I'm resitting one of my psychology units because got a D in one unit but A in the the other.
My predicted grades are AAB I think. Might try convince my teachers to move them to either A*AB or AAA though.
What do you think my chances of getting offers are? Please be honest! I'm so nervous!! Thankyou

Read what I said one post above to someone else about Bristol. Hopefully you're dropping German if you're dropping anything at all?
If you can get your grades remarked to ABB, then get predicted AAB you have a chance but Bristol is very competitive, and coming from someone who actually goes there and went through the spiel of nosing around asking fellow psychology course friends what they got at A level its generally the case that everyone got straight As, with a few getting AAB if they were given the contextual offer.
PS if you don't think you'd qualify for a contextual offer then if I'm honest it doesn't look particularly great for Bristol.
Hey everyone,

I just updated the OP with a link to Psychology connect/stalking page - if you haven't already go connect to see other applicants' grades & offers. Also, if you enter your details it will be really really useful for everyone else making their applications this year.

:woo:
Original post by lou_100
Read what I said one post above to someone else about Bristol. Hopefully you're dropping German if you're dropping anything at all?
If you can get your grades remarked to ABB, then get predicted AAB you have a chance but Bristol is very competitive, and coming from someone who actually goes there and went through the spiel of nosing around asking fellow psychology course friends what they got at A level its generally the case that everyone got straight As, with a few getting AAB if they were given the contextual offer.
PS if you don't think you'd qualify for a contextual offer then if I'm honest it doesn't look particularly great for Bristol.

I checked with my teachers today and it turns out my predicted grades are actually A*AA. Yes I've dropped german. And hopefully with my retake of one of my psychology units I'll come out with an A in AS psychology making my AS grades AAB and predicted A2s at A*AA. I know bristol is very competitive, it's the one I think I have the least chance of getting an offer from unfortunately. What do you think about offers from the other unis I'm applying for? Thankyou
Reply 136
Has anyone got offers from Queen Marys, Kings college or UCL yet? I haven’t and I’m panicking!!

My predicted grades are AAA are these too low??
Original post by 12345tf
Has anyone got offers from Queen Marys, Kings college or UCL yet? I haven’t and I’m panicking!!

My predicted grades are AAA are these too low??

Your predicted grades are fine. The application cycle has barely started and not many offers will have gone out from anywhere yet, so you have no reason to worry.
Original post by ClaudiaaaX
I checked with my teachers today and it turns out my predicted grades are actually A*AA. Yes I've dropped german. And hopefully with my retake of one of my psychology units I'll come out with an A in AS psychology making my AS grades AAB and predicted A2s at A*AA. I know bristol is very competitive, it's the one I think I have the least chance of getting an offer from unfortunately. What do you think about offers from the other unis I'm applying for? Thankyou

Obviously I'd love for you to prove me wrong and get an offer, just understand it doesn't look too convincing when predicted grades don't match up to your actual AS grades, which is something Bristol pointed out in the application talks at both open days I went to a couple years back. If you did get your grades up to AAB, then A*AA looks more convincing, definitely. Just as it currently stands, an A*AA prediction with ABC in those same subjects at AS level looks like your predicted grades have been artificially and/or unrealistically bumped up to help you get in to places. That's not just the case with you, it's a common for a lot of students and teachers to ask for/do this and unis aren't naive to it.

The problem is obviously it's yours and your teachers word that you're on track to bump your AS psychology up to an A with the resit. Make sure this part of your reference is particularly strong and your reference makes it clear the C in that one exam did not reflect your true ability etc. As far as I can tell, the other unis have AAA-AAB offer ranges, and you'd probably qualify for AAB offers as you took Biology and Psychology. Exeter have been known, however, that when there is an offer range (e.g. AAA-AAB) they can offer whichever set of grades in that range which corresponds most to your predictions i.e. they could offer you AAA over AAB.

PS Bristol offered me A*AA when typical offer is AAA and contextual AAB. A typical offer does not necessarily mean that's the highest offer they'll go.
Finally got confirmation from Durham so that's 5 acknowledgments time to wait for decisions *refreshes email*

Quick Reply

Latest