The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Just done the LSE questionnaire too, no issues really, pretty simple.
Original post by 789tom789
Just done the LSE questionnaire too, no issues really, pretty simple.

Think I put the wrong thing down for my LSE ID number but oh well. Done now.

I put the one that is usually as the subject heading on many of my emails from LSE. It looked similar to the example they gave above the box on the questionnaire so I'm guessing its that!
Original post by EHZ17
Think I put the wrong thing down for my LSE ID number but oh well. Done now.

I put the one that is usually as the subject heading on many of my emails from LSE. It looked similar to the example they gave above the box on the questionnaire so I'm guessing its that!

Yeah you put the right thing.
I haven't had an email from LSE about a questionnaire yet - should I be worried? What do you write in the questionnaire? Thanks x
Original post by tomixox
I haven't had an email from LSE about a questionnaire yet - should I be worried? What do you write in the questionnaire? Thanks x

Two weeks ago LSE emailed me saying they were considering my personal statement and application, and said they'll get back to me in two weeks.

Two weeks later, today, I got the questionnaire and filled that in. It just asks you to fill in UMS scores for your maths units and other subjects, and if you're not doing Further Maths they want to know why.

I don't know when you last heard from them but you shouldn't worry about them not replying because they'll get back to you at some point!
Original post by mwatters
Two weeks ago LSE emailed me saying they were considering my personal statement and application, and said they'll get back to me in two weeks.

Two weeks later, today, I got the questionnaire and filled that in. It just asks you to fill in UMS scores for your maths units and other subjects, and if you're not doing Further Maths they want to know why.

I don't know when you last heard from them but you shouldn't worry about them not replying because they'll get back to you at some point!

Personally I think it's unfair asking why you don't do further maths. It's not a requirement for the course.
Personally I think it's unfair asking why you don't do further maths. It's not a requirement for the course.

Well they do say that it is highly recommended to be fair
Original post by pyrrhusofepirus
Well they do say that it is highly recommended to be fair

But they don't require it. Therefore why must I do it? Bizarre.

It's not bizarre that LSE recommends applicants to do Further Maths when the course they'll be doing at LSE is so heavily maths based. They're not saying you HAVE to do it, but when you get to university it'll no doubt be extremely beneficial seeing as those who have done Further Maths will have done 6 more maths module than something just doing A Level Maths.
I have done AS further maths but dropped it for A2. I am predicted 3A*s - do you think saying "I wanted to focus on getting the best grades possible in the 3 subjects while also doing an EPQ" would be valid reason for not doing A2 FM?

Just so you know, I know a lot of you guys are doing 4A2s and an EPQ so me saying that doesn't mean much lol - tbh, I regret not sticking with with A2 further maths but its too late now :frown:
Original post by mwatters
It's not bizarre that LSE recommends applicants to do Further Maths when the course they'll be doing at LSE is so heavily maths based. They're not saying you HAVE to do it, but when you get to university it'll no doubt be extremely beneficial seeing as those who have done Further Maths will have done 6 more maths module than something just doing A Level Maths.

Woah there. I can see why they recommend and I completely agree. The fact they're asking me for why I didn't do it suggested to me it's basically compulsory, and I find that bizarre, NOT the fact they recommend it strongly.
Original post by groovyd97
I have done AS further maths but dropped it for A2. I am predicted 3A*s - do you think saying "I wanted to focus on getting the best grades possible in the 3 subjects while also doing an EPQ" would be valid reason for not doing A2 FM?

Just so you know, I know a lot of you guys are doing 4A2s and an EPQ so me saying that doesn't mean much lol - tbh, I regret not sticking with with A2 further maths but its too late now :frown:

You're putting yourself down too much. Obviously I don't know all your details but you sound like a very strong applicant. What's done is done, just try to chill a bit :smile:
Has anyone got an offer from Warwick L100?
Woah there. I can see why they recommend and I completely agree. The fact they're asking me for why I didn't do it suggested to me it's basically compulsory, and I find that bizarre, NOT the fact they recommend it strongly.

Hah sorry for coming on strongly, I guess they're just going to be curious as to why someone applying there didn't do Further Maths when it's known they do sort of want to see it. Lots of the time colleges might not offer it and so they're going to want to know that rather than make assumptions as to why someone didn't take it.

If you appreciate economics then you'll understand why they want you to do further maths. You'll struggle with the course without a decent mathematical grounding. They want to know why you didn't pick it if you had the option to.

Original post by groovyd97

No. You'll have to say something about not appreciating the importance of maths in economics.
Original post by emmelinelu
Has anyone got an offer from Warwick L100?

I do. Got it 1 week after I submitted my application.
Reply 616
If you have higher predicted grades like A*A*A* instead of A*AA are you more likely to receive the lower offer from universities? Like Nottingham for example ?
Original post by Mike_123
If you appreciate economics then you'll understand why they want you to do further maths. You'll struggle with the course without a decent mathematical grounding. They want to know why you didn't pick it if you had the option to.

No. You'll have to say something about not appreciating the importance of maths in economics.

At my school, if you take FM you can only take one other A2 subject. Personally i thought this limited the scope of knowledge I was able to show, therefore decided against FM! When I wanted to change to FM last year, this was not possible as it did not fit in with my timetable and would result in me having to change my other AS subjects! Is this a valid reason for not taking FM?
Hey, my friend is applying for Politics and Economics he's predicted A*AA in History economics and Business Studies. UCL, Manc, Birmingham, Leeds, Bath. AS: AABD, Good chances?
I sent my application off two weeks ago and recently got offers from Leeds and Southampton on their L100 Economics courses :smile: Still waiting for Nottingham, Exeter and Birmingham to reply
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest