The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Applying to York for 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by grx_
I'm not on a gap year but we're the same age :smile: that sounds really good, out of interest may I ask why you chose to apply for psychology instead of Law here?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because I applied for Psychology first. Which is the thing that I always have wanted to study. Like since I was 13. And I don't have the grades to study it in Norway, because you need insanely high grades. But I applied for Law, because I took it in upper secondary last year, and I was actually really good at it. At least what we learned there. And then my nerves about England hit me. Moving to an other country and so, so I just went for studying in Oslo. Mainly because I was too overwhelmed about moving that far. And of course now I regret it so much. Hopefully I will be moving next year, if I don't fall insanely in love with Law of course:biggrin:
University of York
York
Reply 181
Original post by katharinakri
Because I applied for Psychology first. Which is the thing that I always have wanted to study. Like since I was 13. And I don't have the grades to study it in Norway, because you need insanely high grades. But I applied for Law, because I took it in upper secondary last year, and I was actually really good at it. At least what we learned there. And then my nerves about England hit me. Moving to an other country and so, so I just went for studying in Oslo. Mainly because I was too overwhelmed about moving that far. And of course now I regret it so much. Hopefully I will be moving next year, if I don't fall insanely in love with Law of course:biggrin:

Oh alright, fair enough. They're both really good and interesting subjects. Best of luck in applying and your current studies!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by grx_
Oh alright, fair enough. They're both really good and interesting subjects. Best of luck in applying and your current studies!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, you too! I have already applied though. I have a spot for Psychology at York next year, since I postponed it from this year
I'm a current third year at York. Any questions give me a shout.
Hi everyone I'm new to TSR and I've applied to York to do history and politics starting next year - just wondered if I'd meet anyone who's applied for the same/similar courses??
Original post by Eboracum

You wouldn't happen to know if York send out offers quickly?

Hello! I would like to put York as my firm or insurance but I had a few questions on graduate prospects. York isn't consistently at the top in this field but I've heard it is improving. As a student do you worry about this? What has been done to improve graduate prospects in York?

I fell in love with York when I went to the open day and I feel this is the only hindrance. But on the other hand I'm sceptical of the reliance of the sources this has come from (newspapers and league tables).

Thank you! :smile:
I just got an offer back from York but the wording was a bit weird, has anyone else got an offer for the MMath?
Has anyone got an offer to do MBiol Biology at York yet?
I deferred my offer for Law, so will be studying from oct 2015 - On gap year now, working and travelling :smile:
Original post by Charlotte Taylor
I just got an offer back from York but the wording was a bit weird, has anyone else got an offer for the MMath?

I haven't got an offer for MMath, but I will be applying this fall for MPhys and MMaths joint honors. Are you applying for 2015 entry and you've already gotten an offer?
Original post by friendsfan08
I haven't got an offer for MMath, but I will be applying this fall for MPhys and MMaths joint honors. Are you applying for 2015 entry and you've already gotten an offer?

Yeah, 2015 entry and I got my offer last night :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JB384893
You wouldn't happen to know if York send out offers quickly?

I applied to: Durham, York, Nottingham, Bristol, Exeter....York was the last one I heard from.

Original post by YanaIguana
Hello! I would like to put York as my firm or insurance but I had a few questions on graduate prospects. York isn't consistently at the top in this field but I've heard it is improving. As a student do you worry about this? What has been done to improve graduate prospects in York?

I fell in love with York when I went to the open day and I feel this is the only hindrance. But on the other hand I'm sceptical of the reliance of the sources this has come from (newspapers and league tables).

Thank you! :smile:

Rankings are difficult, because there are so many different league tables, and plus they fluctuate. So I prefer to look at reputation. I'd probably argue that bar Oxbridge, the London three (LSE/UCL/Imperial) and possibly Durham, York is as good as any. To give you an example, I'm considering postgrad at UCL, which is joint 5th in the world but 9th in the UK. So I wouldn't read too much into it.

I've known people from my course go on to great things: Consultancy, Government, Postgraduate study at Oxbridge, NGOs.
I applied to: Durham, York, Nottingham, Bristol, Exeter....York was the last one I heard from.

Rankings are difficult, because there are so many different league tables, and plus they fluctuate. So I prefer to look at reputation. I'd probably argue that bar Oxbridge, the London three (LSE/UCL/Imperial) and possibly Durham, York is as good as any. To give you an example, I'm considering postgrad at UCL, which is joint 5th in the world but 9th in the UK. So I wouldn't read too much into it.

I've known people from my course go on to great things: Consultancy, Government, Postgraduate study at Oxbridge, NGOs.

Thank you for your response :smile: I definitely agree with your thoughts on reputation. It's reassuring to a know a student's response about this. It's also made me consider York as a firm option even more.
Thank you for your response :smile: I definitely agree with your thoughts on reputation. It's reassuring to a know a student's response about this. It's also made me consider York as a firm option even more.

Yes. League tables will change all the time, so it will probably be a few places different when you leave. But ultimately York's place as a leading UK university was cemented when we were asked to join the Russell Group in 2012.

What degree do you intend to take, and what are your other offers?

If you have any more questions, please let me know.
Yes. League tables will change all the time, so it will probably be a few places different when you leave. But ultimately York's place as a leading UK university was cemented when we were asked to join the Russell Group in 2012.

What degree do you intend to take, and what are your other offers?

If you have any more questions, please let me know.

I intend to study Politics with International Relations at York. I received a conditional of AAB which I'm very happy with. I've also received offers from Kent and Surrey but York remains a firm favourite out of those three. Exeter and York are my two favourites out of the five, but no news from Exeter as of yet.

The York open day was brilliant and I thought the lectures were great and the atmosphere felt amazing. I haven't visited Exeter yet though so I know that will be the deciding factor.
Original post by jwf13
I got an offer for Human Geography and The Environment today! I got an e-mail and not conditions, I'm so relieved/happy! :biggrin:

hi, i was wondering how long it took you to get an offer? I sent mine off nearly 2 weeks ago and still recieved no offer ! also coud you tell me what grades you're predicted>? thankyou and congratz!
Reply 197
Original post by alicepeters1010
hi, i was wondering how long it took you to get an offer? I sent mine off nearly 2 weeks ago and still recieved no offer ! also coud you tell me what grades you're predicted>? thankyou and congratz!

Hi, I sent my application off on the 15th, got sent an acknowledgement on the 17th and my offer came through on the 18th. My predicted grades are A*A*A in Geography, History and RE (and A* in General Studies, but they don't count that).
Reply 198
Original post by Underc0verEmily
I think Durham, St. Andrews, Exeter and Royal Holloway! How about you? :smile:

We have quite a few of the same unis! I'm applying to Durham, Cambridge, Royal Holloway and Sheffield :smile:

Original post by kingdoo
Southampton, UEA Leicester and Swansea. All for BA geography with the exception of York and UEA which is geography and international development. I want to go to York or Leicester.:smile:

Hoping to get ABB. I retook AS so now have ABBBBCE, predicted ABB in psychology, geography and economics and going to try and get my teacher to predict me an A in geography as I was only 7 ums off an A which was 3 in one exam and 4 in another.

What about you? :biggrin:

Well good luck with York and Leicester! You've got the predicted grades for both courses so I'm sure it'll be fine :smile:
I intend to study Politics with International Relations at York. I received a conditional of AAB which I'm very happy with. I've also received offers from Kent and Surrey but York remains a firm favourite out of those three. Exeter and York are my two favourites out of the five, but no news from Exeter as of yet.

The York open day was brilliant and I thought the lectures were great and the atmosphere felt amazing. I haven't visited Exeter yet though so I know that will be the deciding factor.

Well that makes things more interesting, as I study BA Politics. My friend is at Exeter and she likes it a lot. For me, there is not enough going on in Devon/Cornwall, hence i came here. I would say York/Exeter are better than Surrey and much better than Kent.

Quick Reply

Latest