The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1280
Hi, if I'm going to be abroad for the winter holiday (Mid December - Mid January), is it worth applying to SWs?
I am just wondering if anyone know the approximate interview dates for most SWs? Thanks.
Reply 1282
Hello guys,

I want to do some research on Investment banking, I am currently in my 2nd year of A-Levels. I am unsure of whether to apply to Chemical engineering at Manchester or at UCL. UCL is a better university overall but Manchester is a lot better than UCL for chemical engineering.

I have only just dawned on the idea of investment banking but just by scanning through the first few pages of this thread it seems very very competitive and a career that having "links" is beneficial; which I have none of.

What do you have to study at university to get into investment banking?
Where should I start in terms of research for how to get into investment banking?
Are there any threads on investment banking on TSR like a society or something?

Would it be better to have a chemical engineering degree from UCL or Manchester for investment banking?
Original post by Hudl
Hello guys,

I want to do some research on Investment banking, I am currently in my 2nd year of A-Levels. I am unsure of whether to apply to Chemical engineering at Manchester or at UCL. UCL is a better university overall but Manchester is a lot better than UCL for chemical engineering.

I have only just dawned on the idea of investment banking but just by scanning through the first few pages of this thread it seems very very competitive and a career that having "links" is beneficial; which I have none of.

What do you have to study at university to get into investment banking?
Where should I start in terms of research for how to get into investment banking?
Are there any threads on investment banking on TSR like a society or something?

Would it be better to have a chemical engineering degree from UCL or Manchester for investment banking?

Go UCL, it's a target university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
from a friend that went to the nomura talk today; 20 places on the explore nomura programme, 20 on the womens programme, 50 people get interviewed for each, up to 60 maximum, and they will start in 3-4 weeks time.
Original post by welcometoib
from a friend that went to the nomura talk today; 20 places on the explore nomura programme, 20 on the womens programme, 50 people get interviewed for each, up to 60 maximum, and they will start in 3-4 weeks time.

I know a girl garunteed a nomura SW who did a their A level programme.
hows everyone finding the tests? been practicing and still struggling a bit
Original post by Anonynous
I know a girl garunteed a nomura SW who did a their A level programme.

that's ridiculous, esp with such low numbers
Original post by welcometoib
that's ridiculous, esp with such low numbers

She did their Step In programme and converted.
Original post by elvynboro
hows everyone finding the tests? been practicing and still struggling a bit

What's your average % score. I started out at 35-40% practiced for a month nwo averaging 80%+

After a while, it becomes second nature. Keep practicing, even the same ones until you can identify the question's problem and automatically derive an equation to solve it.
What's your average % score. I started out at 35-40% practiced for a month nwo averaging 80%+

After a while, it becomes second nature. Keep practicing, even the same ones until you can identify the question's problem and automatically derive an equation to solve it.

averaging about 50-60%, only been practicing a few days so I guess I should master them after a month or so, I'm probably just being impatient haha
UBS Rejection. Deloitte insight day invite and Citi Corporate Banking Game HQ invite. Menial in comparison to the wider scheme of things, albeit.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by elvynboro
averaging about 50-60%, only been practicing a few days so I guess I should master them after a month or so, I'm probably just being impatient haha

It's just practice. At first it might seem hopeless but trust me things will pick up as you start meeting the same sort of questions.
Original post by will2348
Go UCL, it's a target university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This, but I wouldn't write Manchester off too quickly. As a student at Manchester I've been pleasantly surprised by the amount of banking events after attending pretty much all banks bar J.P.Morgan.

I'd also suggest refraining from choosing where to study a degree based on the basis of target or not, obviously if you were considering Oxbridge the choice would be a lot more clear cut. Manchester and London are very different places, ensure you choose based on whether you believe you'll be content and secure a top class degree as apposed to which may be slightly more 'targeted'.
Has anyone got an interview secured yet?
Original post by Drossell
Has anyone got an interview secured yet?

AC at ICAP
Original post by Jack_95
This, but I wouldn't write Manchester off too quickly. As a student at Manchester I've been pleasantly surprised by the amount of banking events after attending pretty much all banks bar J.P.Morgan.

I'd also suggest refraining from choosing where to study a degree based on the basis of target or not, obviously if you were considering Oxbridge the choice would be a lot more clear cut. Manchester and London are very different places, ensure you choose based on whether you believe you'll be content and secure a top class degree as apposed to which may be slightly more 'targeted'.

Banking: UCL > Manchester

Relatively clear cut. UCL = London, offers more regardless. 1st vs 2:1, not many people give a crap tbh.
Reply 1297
Banking: UCL > Manchester

Relatively clear cut. UCL = London, offers more regardless. 1st vs 2:1, not many people give a crap tbh.

Yeah, not really that simple unfortunately.
Original post by Olliee
Yeah, not really that simple unfortunately.

If motivation is purely wanting the best chance of IB, it pretty much is.
Need help guys.

Critique my CV: This is essentially what I've been sending to banks, this sort of layout and content:

I haven't space to include anymore experience, albeit I've done a Entrerenuer challenge which I think would add great value. What can be removed?

I still have DB, GS, BP to send, is there any improvements that could be made? Did I do anything majorly wrong. The relevant sections have been cut to conceal identity.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending