The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by C7jnr
History was already an A at As level so i got an A* in A2 to get an A* overall.

Physics was a C at As level, i retook one exam pushing my grade to an A at As (E to 90+ % in that repeat), then i averaged a C at A2, ending up with a B overall.

Maths was a D at As level, i retook all exams, getting 100 % in c1 and c2 and 80 & in m1, aligned with 100 in c3, 70 in c4 and 60 in m2 i achieved an A overall.

Dont underestimate the ability to ace your As retakes, the level of difficulty compared from As to A2 means you need to play the number game to be successful, for example my maths and physics repeats required not much effort but just good timing and practice before exams. these retakes afforded me the ability to underscore at A2 and still achieve the grades.

That's so good!! I'm applying to LSE this year for Econ History and I have similar grades and 6 AS resits to do next summer:frown: lol let's hope I can turn it around like you did!!
:yy:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by LevCrofts
I just recieved the 8 week email for a BSc PPE. I assume that this is the last one before I learn about rejection/offer (as they said it would take no longer than 12 weeks)?

Same, got it today.
Original post by EHZ17
Did people get rejected before the email? Is it a good sign that we have got it?

Does this mean they are satisfied with personal statements?

By all means this should be the 'next stage'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Always a good sign when you don't get an outright rejection as that means you are still in the running and being considered.

Being satisfied with personal statements is only the first level. If they are not satisfied you will get a rejection.

The first stages are simple screening stages to identify those who are obviously not in compliance or meet their minimum requirements.

The next stages will be comparing you with the rest of your cohort, to rank you. This is the only way they can arrive at the most objective final selection of outstanding candidates to receive conditional offers.

You can imagine how competitive and how difficult it is to arrive at that shortlist.

In any case, GOOD LUCK …. And may the odds be ever in your favor.
Original post by GandalfWhite
Always a good sign when you don't get an outright rejection as that means you are still in the running and being considered.

Being satisfied with personal statements is only the first level. If they are not satisfied you will get a rejection.

The first stages are simple screening stages to identify those who are obviously not in compliance or meet their minimum requirements.

The next stages will be comparing you with the rest of your cohort, to rank you. This is the only way they can arrive at the most objective final selection of outstanding candidates to receive conditional offers.

You can imagine how competitive and how difficult it is to arrive at that shortlist.

You know quite a lot about lse admissions, were you an lse student? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GandalfWhite

I was just concerned as the main reason for rejection at L101 is the personal statement. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi i am applying to LSE for Economics and Mathematics , i was wondering if i have a chance at getting an offer.

GCSE - 7A's 4B's

AS Level - AAAA

Maths (Edexcel) - C1(89) C2(84) M1 (100) -------------> Overall: A

Further Maths (Edexcel) - FP1(88) S1 (96) D1(74) -----------> Overall: A

Economics (Edexcel) - Unit 1(80) Unit 2 (80)-----------> Overall: A

Physics AQA - Unit 1 (98/120) Unit 2 (120/120) Unit 3T - Coursework (B)-----------> Overall: A

Predicted Grades -
Maths - A*
Further Maths - A*
Economics - A

Thank You
Original post by Harsha4674
Hi i am applying to LSE for Economics and Mathematics , i was wondering if i have a chance at getting an offer.

GCSE - 7A's 4B's

AS Level - AAAA

Maths (Edexcel) - C1(89) C2(84) M1 (100) -------------> Overall: A

Further Maths (Edexcel) - FP1(88) S1 (96) D1(74) -----------> Overall: A

Economics (Edexcel) - Unit 1(80) Unit 2 (80)-----------> Overall: A

Physics AQA - Unit 1 (98/120) Unit 2 (120/120) Unit 3T - Coursework (B)-----------> Overall: A

Predicted Grades -
Maths - A*
Further Maths - A*
Economics - A

Thank You

Depends on your Personal Statement..

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got the 8 week email today for Politics and IR, my fingers will remain crossed for the next few weeks!
Also got that 8 week email- BSc PP.
8 week email for Economics and Economic History today too
I finished the questionnaire but it didn't say anything about the reply being 8 weeks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EHZ17
I finished the questionnaire but it didn't say anything about the reply being 8 weeks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

From what I seem, the straight Economics applicants don't get this 8 week thing but I've been seeing lots of other courses at LSE saying they'll hear within 8 weeks. I wonder why it's not the same for Econ
Original post by mwatters
From what I seem, the straight Economics applicants don't get this 8 week thing but I've been seeing lots of other courses at LSE saying they'll hear within 8 weeks. I wonder why it's not the same for Econ

I can imagine L101 is the most competitive course they do and they probably can't guarantee a decision within 8 weeks. So annoying though! It's just the wait. I'm sitting here looking for motivation. I have none knowing that I may not be going to a Uni that I want to :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nikleinapickle
This is all quite confusing -- I've applied for straight Econ, and I DID get the 8 week email on Monday (20th of October).

ARGH. This is so messed up!

Was that on the same email as when you submitted the questionnaire?

Maybe different admission tutors email things slightly differently? XD
Original post by mwatters
Was that on the same email as when you submitted the questionnaire?

Maybe different admission tutors email things slightly differently? XD

Didn't get a questionnaire! I don't think that in my situation, a questionnaire is needed.
Got an acknowledgement as I sent in my application, then got the 2 week immediately and in exactly one week (on Monday, the 20th), got the 8 week.

WHAT IS HAPPENING.

I'm not sure that's exactly the case -- won't they have standardised emails? There is a procedure they must follow, after all!
Didn't get a questionnaire! I don't think that in my situation, a questionnaire is needed.
Got an acknowledgement as I sent in my application, then got the 2 week immediately and in exactly one week (on Monday, the 20th), got the 8 week.

WHAT IS HAPPENING.

I'm not sure that's exactly the case -- won't they have standardised emails? There is a procedure they must follow, after all!

Hello, which course are you applying to?

WHAT IS HAPPENING.

I'm guessing you must not be doing a very mathsy course then because I think the questionnaire is given to the likes of straight Econ and maths related ones because they want to see all your math module scores.

I'll be stumped if you're applying for straight Econ now though haha :tongue:
Reply 317

WHAT IS HAPPENING.

What course and country are you applying from?
Is it just me or is the TSA reaaally easy? Practiced 2 mock exams today and got 46/50 and 48/50. So is the TSA going to be a big deal for your application or is it just to see if you're not a complete retard?

Anyway, for people looking for more practice material, try SHL (shldirect.com). Those are basically tests when applying for iBanks, but the questions are quite similar to the ones of TSA.
Original post by sjoerdsm
Is it just me or is the TSA reaaally easy? Practiced 2 mock exams today and got 46/50 and 48/50. So is the TSA going to be a big deal for your application or is it just to see if you're not a complete retard?

Anyway, for people looking for more practice material, try SHL (shldirect.com). Those are basically tests when applying for iBanks, but the questions are quite similar to the ones of TSA.

Only 46/50? Yeah it's pretty much to separate retards from actual candidates. Anyone dropping any marks is deemed the former. Unlucky I suppose mate, never quite know what to say to candidates like you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending