The Student Room Group

History a-level!!!

I am currently studying A-levels, and history is very interesting but very difficult, such a big jump from GCSES! So far ive been recieveing D's in my practice essays, I improve by a mark eachtime, however I want to atleast aim for a C this time even though it is practice questions :frown:
Anyone have any advice to help?
Will be much appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by J_1234
I am currently studying A-levels, and history is very interesting but very difficult, such a big jump from GCSES! So far ive been recieveing D's in my practice essays, I improve by a mark eachtime, however I want to atleast aim for a C this time even though it is practice questions :frown:

Don't worry, you're only 3ish months into the year and you'll definitely improve those marks by the end. I'm not sure what board you're with but I did my history AS with the WJEC and I got a mixture of C, D, B in every single one of my practice papers up until the actual exam where I got an A, 86% across both, so not bad. You'll be fine when it comes to the real thing, you'll improve your technique throughout the year get the hang of it eventually. Just keep on top of work and make sure you are v. motivated!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Edited a spelling error because it was bugging me haha
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Wow you did great!! :smile: &Thanks, I hope so :frown:
I'm doing Edexcel, currently we are studying Russia in Revolution. Got another two more units to go
Yeah I'm the same, got mostly C's throughout the year then an A was my actual result. One thing I will say is make sure you revise the knowledge throughout the year, I got there in the end but it caused me a lot of stress trying to cram everything in for history in the revision period.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by J_1234

I was getting D's and E's in my essays at the start of year 12 and I ended up with an A. As long as you listen to teacher's advice you will improve. And obviously do as much extra reading around the topic as you can.:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by RussmanG
I was getting D's and E's in my essays at the start of year 12 and I ended up with an A. As long as you listen to teacher's advice you will improve. And obviously do as much extra reading around the topic as you can.:smile:

Wow you got an A, that's great! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by uncommonsensing
Yeah I'm the same, got mostly C's throughout the year then an A was my actual result. One thing I will say is make sure you revise the knowledge throughout the year, I got there in the end but it caused me a lot of stress trying to cram everything in for history in the revision period.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow you did great! :smile:
I did rubbish in practise questions, basically sat and did nothing in my lessons all year. Got an A at AS though, bizarrely. Still think hey mixed my paper up with someone else's... But don't rely on practise essays to tell you what you'll get from the exam, and remember to revise so you don't feel as nervous as I did during the exam!
Just like you, I am also doing As history. The most important things I have learnt is to keep practicing; engrave the structure into your mind, but to also have sophisticated yet detailed knowledge. One thing Which I am also a culprit of is that I tend to over complicate the work more than I actually need to so I guess simplicity is the best method. other than that, I want to wish you the very best of luck in History.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J_1234
Wow you did great! :smile:

are you doing russia in revolution and talking about the 30 mark questions? I am doing that too and in my first question I got 13 and the same in my second. In my third one I got 22. I think its really important to focus on the question and link your knowledge to the question at any time you can. To get in the high bands you need a sustained analysis, which means that you should reach a judgement in the intro and again in the conclusion, it allows the marker to realise your essay really does make you think about all the possibilities and you really have a clear judgement/opinion on the questions. Also if the question is a 'How far?' Question then I would speak about the most important event to the least. It shows you have a judgement on how effective each event was.

I was taught that there wasnt really any structure but if you were given a question like.. 'How far do you agree that the Tsar Nicholas II, was the main reason for the 1917 February Revolution?' Then you should really have a different paragraph for each point, you should talk about the effect the Tsar had first then maybe the effect of Rasputin and Tsarina, military performance, political opression and the defiance of the army. Make sure you plan.

Remember practice makes perfect, its only the start of A-levels. I hope I have helped a little bit. What other topics are you doing in History?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You will definitely improve, hell in my a2 year I was receiving high c's during May and came out with 105/120 in the unit 3 exam
Reply 11
Original post by coffeeandcats
I did rubbish in practise questions, basically sat and did nothing in my lessons all year. Got an A at AS though, bizarrely. Still think hey mixed my paper up with someone else's... But don't rely on practise essays to tell you what you'll get from the exam, and remember to revise so you don't feel as nervous as I did during the exam!

Lol, wow you did great! :smile: and thanks!
Reply 12
Original post by legendary1
Just like you, I am also doing As history. The most important things I have learnt is to keep practicing; engrave the structure into your mind, but to also have sophisticated yet detailed knowledge. One thing Which I am also a culprit of is that I tend to over complicate the work more than I actually need to so I guess simplicity is the best method. other than that, I want to wish you the very best of luck in History.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww thanks and you too! :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Ben4
are you doing russia in revolution and talking about the 30 mark questions? I am doing that too and in my first question I got 13 and the same in my second. In my third one I got 22. I think its really important to focus on the question and link your knowledge to the question at any time you can. To get in the high bands you need a sustained analysis, which means that you should reach a judgement in the intro and again in the conclusion, it allows the marker to realise your essay really does make you think about all the possibilities and you really have a clear judgement/opinion on the questions. Also if the question is a 'How far?' Question then I would speak about the most important event to the least. It shows you have a judgement on how effective each event was.

I was taught that there wasnt really any structure but if you were given a question like.. 'How far do you agree that the Tsar Nicholas II, was the main reason for the 1917 February Revolution?' Then you should really have a different paragraph for each point, you should talk about the effect the Tsar had first then maybe the effect of Rasputin and Tsarina, military performance, political opression and the defiance of the army. Make sure you plan.

Remember practice makes perfect, its only the start of A-levels. I hope I have helped a little bit. What other topics are you doing in History?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep I'm doing Russia in revolution, yeah we have been doing 30 mark questions, in the 1st one I got 14, 2nd one I got 15 and 3rd one I got 16. And great advice, thanks. :smile:
The other topics I'm going to do are Stalins Russia and the role of women in Britain like the suffragists and suffragettes. Wbu?
And thanks you have helped, you can be my history study buddy since we doing similar topics! Haha and I'll try and share some resources with you when I can
:biggrin:
Original post by J_1234
Yep I'm doing Russia in revolution, yeah we have been doing 30 mark questions, in the 1st one I got 14, 2nd one I got 15 and 3rd one I got 16. And great advice, thanks. :smile:
The other topics I'm going to do are Stalins Russia and the role of women in Britain like the suffragists and suffragettes. Wbu?
And thanks you have helped, you can be my history study buddy since we doing similar topics! Haha and I'll try and share some resources with you when I can
:biggrin:

Oo great! I am also doing Stalin's Russia, but we are not starting that until we have finished Russia in Revolution. You are going the right way to improving atleast you are not going down! Im not doing the same source exam topic as you unfortunately, i am doing Britain and the Nationalist challenge in India, its quite interesting. I recommend the student support books for russia in revolution as its quite colourful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Ben4
Oo great! I am also doing Stalin's Russia, but we are not starting that until we have finished Russia in Revolution. You are going the right way to improving atleast you are not going down! Im not doing the same source exam topic as you unfortunately, i am doing Britain and the Nationalist challenge in India, its quite interesting. I recommend the student support books for russia in revolution as its quite colourful!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah us too, we are nearly finishing Russia's in revolution and thanks, i hope i keep on improving them.&Oooh that topic does sound interesting and haha I take it that you are a visual learner?
Here's a good website for Russia in revolution, it tests you on each topic: http://www.hodderplus.co.uk/myrevisionnotes/a-level-history/russia-in-revolution/index.asp
:smile:
Original post by J_1234
Yeah us too, we are nearly finishing Russia's in revolution and thanks, i hope i keep on improving them.&Oooh that topic does sound interesting and haha I take it that you are a visual learner?
Here's a good website for Russia in revolution, it tests you on each topic: http://www.hodderplus.co.uk/myrevisionnotes/a-level-history/russia-in-revolution/index.asp

Ooo thanks for the link I faved it for future reference! Im not really a visual learner but colour is more effective than plain black and white haha. What are you doing in russia now? We just finished 1917 revolution, teacher said we should be done by christmas.

And yeah the indian one is ok, do you prefer source questions? How are you doing on the 20 and 40 mark questions for unit 2? (Not the russian unit).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Ben4
Ooo thanks for the link I faved it for future reference! Im not really a visual learner but colour is more effective than plain black and white haha. What are you doing in russia now? We just finished 1917 revolution, teacher said we should be done by christmas.

And yeah the indian one is ok, do you prefer source questions? How are you doing on the 20 and 40 mark questions for unit 2? (Not the russian unit).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol its ok and haha yeah true. And we are currently on the civil war, we should too finish by Christmas, only got a few topics left. And we haven't started source questions or unit 2 yet, but I think I do prefer source questions, well in GCSEs I did, lol.
What about you?
What exam board are you doing and what other A-levels you taking?
Original post by J_1234
Lol its ok and haha yeah true. And we are currently on the civil war, we should too finish by Christmas, only got a few topics left. And we haven't started source questions or unit 2 yet, but I think I do prefer source questions, well in GCSEs I did, lol.
What about you?
What exam board are you doing and what other A-levels you taking?

Ahh, we have two teachers so are doing a unit with each teacher. I am finding source questions much easier at the moment, and im doing edexcel, the same as you! :smile: My other A levels are maths psychology and biology, bit random but history is one of my faves

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Ben4
Ahh, we have two teachers so are doing a unit with each teacher. I am finding source questions much easier at the moment, and im doing edexcel, the same as you! :smile: My other A levels are maths psychology and biology, bit random but history is one of my faves

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh and lol that's good! You can help me with source questions then :smile:
And woah they are good subjects, &I don't know how you are doing maths lol, I absolutely hate it because I'm so bad at it. History is one of my faves too, just hope I can do good in the exam

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending