The Student Room Group

English Language URGENT

Doing an ENGB1 exam tomorrow, class test obvs, but it's important, as it's for our tracking sheet, and I leterally havent a clue - we've been doing the course for a month... help.
Firstly, calm down. Then get your work out, spread it out and get a nice fresh piece of paper, summarise what you think you've learnt so far - actual content, methods, the frameworks etc. Then go back using your work and fill it in, expand, add details. Then write a legible framework for yourself for when you're looking at the texts. I actually cant remember, is ENGB1 the grouping texts?

If all else fails just write logically and expand as much as possible. At the the end of your point ask yourself 'so what?' and see if you can analyse further. Apologies if I've completely forgotten what ENGB1 is, I'm in my second year of English language degree now.
Reply 2
Lol, yes, categorising texts - i've only been doing the course a month lol - dont even know the frameworks etc
Original post by JakeButlins
Lol, yes, categorising texts - i've only been doing the course a month lol - dont even know the frameworks etc

Don't know the frameworks? You haven't been taught to compare them by lexis, semantics, pragmatics etc? If I recall, there are 7 set frameworks, but you don't have to fight it, say if there's 2 or 3 that are using rhetorical devices or 3 that are using metaphor etc. Just scan them all and pick up on the similarities that way. I found it handy to revise for this exam by literally grabbing 7 or 8 completely random texts, from newspapers, magazines, internet etc. It'll give you practice on grouping. Don't stress too much, you've only just started, and the feedback you get from tomorrow should help you loads :h:
Reply 4
Original post by DeceitfulDove
Don't know the frameworks? You haven't been taught to compare them by lexis, semantics, pragmatics etc? If I recall, there are 7 set frameworks, but you don't have to fight it, say if there's 2 or 3 that are using rhetorical devices or 3 that are using metaphor etc. Just scan them all and pick up on the similarities that way. I found it handy to revise for this exam by literally grabbing 7 or 8 completely random texts, from newspapers, magazines, internet etc. It'll give you practice on grouping. Don't stress too much, you've only just started, and the feedback you get from tomorrow should help you loads :h:

Thanks - basically, I'm going to fail it, but that's my fault, we only just saw the paper for the first time today - first mock of 6th form, the class is going to fail ahhaha. Done a geography one too failed that lol. We'll manage in the end.

Quick Reply

Latest