The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Winter_is_here
This is what happens when you don't get anyone decent to replace Suarez. Balotelli has just been amazing lol

A backup to Sturridge would be of satisfactory, any team will not be able to replace Suarez bar Madrid/Barca. Rodgers decided two immobile strikers would have been alright, more pissed off about that than the defence to be honest.
Plenty to be encouraged by in the second half.

Coutinho and Sterling as usual.

If we had Sturridge, we probably would have been a goal up in the first minute ffs.

Wouldn't mind if Balotelli didn't ever play a game for us again
Original post by tomtjl
Well they just did us a MASSIVE favour.

Who's to say they can't qualify themselves?
It's a level playing field for second place, need to sort our **** out.
Original post by Obiejess
I have said it once and I will say it again.

This team is an absolute disgrace.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly if the defence can't get their heads together and concentrate against a attack such as Madrid's what chance do they bloody have? For their second goal they had two men free on the back post, no Liverpool players near them, and the less said about the 3rd from the defence/Mignolet's pov the better.

Not at one point in Rodger's reign have we looked solid at the back consistently. He keeps throwing money at it despite it becoming obvious that their's an internal problem there.

And Ludogorets would probably beat us, lets be real here
Original post by jam277
If Sturridge was fit you'd have beat Everton for sure and West Ham.

Can we have Barkley, Coleman, Mirallas, Pienaar etc back for that hypothetical game too? Cheers. :rolleyes:
good night for you guys really..

3-0 is not that embarassing, and ludo beating basel is a pretty great result, as it keeps you guys well on target for 2nd..
Original post by Deshi
Honestly if the defence can't get their heads together and concentrate against a attack such as Madrid's what chance do they bloody have? For their second goal they had two men free on the back post, no Liverpool players near them, and the less said about the 3rd from the defence/Mignolet's pov the better.

Not at one point in Rodger's reign have we looked solid at the back consistently. He keeps throwing money at it despite it becoming obvious that their's an internal problem there.

And Ludogorets would probably beat us, lets be real here

Agreed.

No defence
No man marking
No pace
No mobility
No attack

What the **** do we actually have going for us?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Real Madrid were just faster, stronger and better in all departments. Not really that surprising considering all their players are at their peak, reigning European Champions and they still went out and spent £100mil or whatever it was.

The first goal by Ronaldo was just sensational. Doesn't matter how good you are, that is just top draw stuff.

The other two goals are just systematic of our season. Something at the back needs changing or fixing. Perhaps we should go with 3 at the back with Skrtel on the right, Sakho on the left and Lovren in the middle? Maybe we drop Lovren? Something is just very very wrong.

On the plus side, Sterling looked good for the first 45 mins. I think you can see why he can't become a main striker (he just doesn't have the presence for it). Coutinho looked good on the ball but doesn't always seem to do enough with it? If he could just influence games more, he'd be great.

I like the look of Lallana and it's a massive shame he couldn't play with Suarez imo. Just intelligent and the ball sticks to him.

I do wonder if Henderson should be moved to behind the striker? Part of the problem is that we have so many other players who can and want to play there but I do think he could be brilliant there. I think you just lose a little from him by having him deeper and more restrained. He's got to do something with all that energy!

Ludo won which was very surprising! All 3 teams (Pool, Basel and Ludo) have lost 2 and won 1 against each other. I expect we'll lose to Madrid again but then we need to try and win those final two games.. be great if we could sneak into the knock-out rounds :colondollar:
Reply 4229
Well that was a complete mismatch. Quite depressing how much better they are than us. Will we ever be able to reach that level without City/Chelsea level investment? Probably not.
Balo is getting some unfair stick. Playing as the lone striker is hard as hell and few can manage it. We don't even play deep and lump up to him and ask him to just hold it up. We're not playing to his strengths and I think we'd only really see a decent Balo if we played two up front.
Original post by Pn94
Well that was a complete mismatch. Quite depressing how much better they are than us. Will we ever be able to reach that level without City/Chelsea level investment? Probably not.

Tbh with Suarez being sold, we went back a couple of years in our cycle.

In our current squad, who would you say is in their peak? The majority of the squad are very young - we just need to hold together the important core for when the team does peak (Sturridge, Sterling, Henderson etc).
Redknapp just summed up how to beat Liverpool, hoof the ball into the box (set piece or open play) and watch the defenders **** their pants.
We're going to have to let Johnson go in the summer. He's just no longer that physical beast. His acceleration and energy have dropped off by 10-30% from his peak. If we can develop Moreno to be more attacking this season, I'd be happy with having a solid RB on the right. Manquillo obviously isn't fully ready yet. He's struggling with the pace and number of games it seems.

Still seems amazing we let Agger go for so cheap with our defence in shambles.
Liverpool fans actually applauded Ronaldo off, and took pictures of him celebrating

What an embarrassment
Would be hilarious if you guys manage to sneak into the knockouts, only to be matched up against Bayern or Barcelona :rofl:. Now that would be interesting :pierre:
Played whole of the second half with no strikers. Great tactics.
Original post by Zerforax
Balo is getting some unfair stick. Playing as the lone striker is hard as hell and few can manage it. We don't even play deep and lump up to him and ask him to just hold it up. We're not playing to his strengths and I think we'd only really see a decent Balo if we played two up front.

It's his demeanour on the pitch that's making people hate him, not so much his quality

He rarely passes, constantly taking stupid shots. He ran around for the first few games but now just has strops. You'd think he's bloody Suarez knocking in goals at more then a goal a game.
Original post by Stylo92
Played whole of the second half with no strikers. Great tactics.

Borini or Lambert would have been no different to playing no strikers up front tbh, neither are good enough to cause problems to the Madrid defence.
(edited 9 years ago)
Wtf is wrong with our defence. The last 2 goals were such amateur mistakes by us, honestly Championship teams wouldn't have conceded those goals. It's so ****ing frustrating watching our defence, we really need to resolve the problem ASAP otherwise we won't secure 4th place. Rodgers needs to sort it out because we haven't been solid at the back since he's been here, it's either due to poor coaching or players not being up to the standard.

Since Balotelli is struggling so much on his own then why doesn't Rodgers pair him with Borini for a match to see how it goes? Borini's movement isn't too bad and since he wants to stay at Liverpool it'll be interesting to see if he can come up with the goods. Surely we won't play any more crap as we have been lately because Balotelli up front on his own has not worked at all and there's no point trying to force it as it's just frustrating Balo more and more.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest