The Student Room Group

AQA Core Physics Question

Could somebody possibly explain the different forms of generating electricity? For example, wind turbines....etc.....etc.
Yes of course what aspects would you like me to explain? How they work? Advantages, disadvantages? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by VioletPhillippo
Yes of course what aspects would you like me to explain? How they work? Advantages, disadvantages? :smile:

I understand the advantages and disdvantages, is just the aspect of how the electricity is generated. I understand fully about the solar energy, it is just the other ones, like the wind turbines, the one to do with hydraulics (I think) etc. I did my core last year (y10) but I am retaking it. The main bit Ifailed was this in the Physics. I don't even remember doing it in class. + I'm the only one retaking it, so it's best I o ove my weak bits.
Thank you so much!!!!
Original post by Ravioli99
I understand the advantages and disdvantages, is just the aspect of how the electricity is generated. I understand fully about the solar energy, it is just the other ones, like the wind turbines, the one to do with hydraulics (I think) etc. I did my core last year (y10) but I am retaking it. The main bit Ifailed was this in the Physics. I don't even remember doing it in class. + I'm the only one retaking it, so it's best I o ove my weak bits.
Thank you so much!!!!

Hiya, you don't need to know much about how they are generated for core science but here is a simple explanation of how each method is generated- it may be the one you already have in your textbook? :smile:
Wind turbines: the wind passing over the blades makes them rotate and drive a generator @ the top of the narrow tower.

Hydroelectric power: @ a hydroelectric power station water is collected in a reservoir @ the top of a hill. The water is allowed to flow downhill so gravitational potential energy is transferred to kinetic energy which turns turbines @ the bottom of the hill. In a pumped storage system @ times of low demand surplus electricity is used to pump the water back up the hill 2 the reservoir, storing the energy. Then @ times of high demand it can be released down the hill and fall through the turbines transferring the stored energy into electrical energy.

Wave power: Wave movement drives a floating turbine that turns a generator. The electricity is delivered to the national grid on shore by a cable.

Tidal power: If a barrage is built across a river estuary the water @ each high tide can be trapped behind it. When the water is released to fall down to the lower sea level @ low tide it drives turbines.

Hope this helps, I'm not sure how much detail/explanation you needed? :smile:
Reply 4
Thank you soooo much!!!! That's more than enough detail - You have been a great help. Cheers once again:smile:
Reply 5
Have you done your core exam?? If so what grade did you get (if you don't mind me asking).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending