The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Everybody in my pgce cohort either started teaching starters or a full lesson, I haven't done either yet ;( I've been told I will be taking over lessons after half term.I feel like I'm behind everybody else.
Everybody in my pgce cohort either started teaching starters or a full lesson, I haven't done either yet. I've been told I will be taking over lessons after half term.I feel like I'm behind everybody else for some reason.
Original post by Red Lightning
Everybody in my pgce cohort either started teaching starters or a full lesson, I haven't done either yet ;( I've been told I will be taking over lessons after half term.I feel like I'm behind everybody else.

You'll move at your pace. Don't panic! It's about your development and as long as you're hitting your personal targets you'll be fine.

We were told at the start to never compare yourself to the cohort because you're learning something crazy important and it's better to move slower and soak it at your own pace than to try and rush through without feeling ready for it.

Don't worry. You got this!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParadoxSocks
You'll move at your pace. Don't panic! It's about your development and as long as you're hitting your personal targets you'll be fine.

We were told at the start to never compare yourself to the cohort because you're learning something crazy important and it's better to move slower and soak it at your own pace than to try and rush through without feeling ready for it.

Don't worry. You got this!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry for the double post(damn you phone!). Thank you ParadoxSocks,I've been doing a ton of observations with the classes im going to end up teaching after half term, as well as almost finishing the school booklet the university has provided us.

I will just put my head down and forget what everybody else are doing.I'll wait patiently for my turn.When the time comes...I'll be ready!!!
Sorry for the double post(damn you phone!). Thank you ParadoxSocks,I've been doing a ton of observations with the classes im going to end up teaching after half term, as well as almost finishing the school booklet the university has provided us.

I will just put my head down and forget what everybody else are doing.I'll wait patiently for my turn.When the time comes...I'll be ready!!!

That's a good mindset to have. Everyone learns differently and some people are bound to feel more confident to go straight into teaching than others. I am just focusing on my own progress and working with my mentor to figure out what's right for me. :-)

I've been feeling a bit low since being back at uni but got some good feedback for an essay proposal today so feel like I'm back on track! Definitely boosted my confidence on the academic side of things. I'm trying to take in board the things people have said here, and value the time I'm getting in uni to reflect.

Ah yes. This was me last year. Now I'm teaching 23 lessons a week and wishing for those days back!

I've said it quite a few times on here before:

Never ever compare yourself to anyone else on your course. People like to talk the talk on the PGCE. You all come back to Uni and some are saying they've taught 6 lessons in a day but you haven't even done a starter yet etc etc.

Mostly this is nonsense or they're the type of person that towards the end starts to annoy their mentor with arrogance and land themselves in trouble while you're going along nicely.

Everyone's journey will be different but you will all reach the same goal and qualify at the end. Just enjoy the time you have free now to plan and enjoy your half term.
Original post by Steveluis10
Ah yes. This was me last year. Now I'm teaching 23 lessons a week and wishing for those days back!

I've said it quite a few times on here before:

Never ever compare yourself to anyone else on your course. People like to talk the talk on the PGCE. You all come back to Uni and some are saying they've taught 6 lessons in a day but you haven't even done a starter yet etc etc.

Mostly this is nonsense or they're the type of person that towards the end starts to annoy their mentor with arrogance and land themselves in trouble while you're going along nicely.

Everyone's journey will be different but you will all reach the same goal and qualify at the end. Just enjoy the time you have free now to plan and enjoy your half term.

Thanks, I will try my best and be patient.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Tomorrow I teach my first lesson.

There's little to no data available about my pupils and it's a mixed ability group so I had a little difficulty with extension work as I didn't know how far to extend. Spoke to my mentor and I'm essentially supposed to treat them like the current year 9s because they're that good. I need to make sure I bring the lower ability pupils with me but they're going to be doing things I didn't think an eleven year old could do. Knocked me a little. Other than that my mentor likes the look of my lesson and I'm looking forward to it but I am terrified.

And we had an emergency staff meeting this afternoon to announce tomorrow's ofsted inspection.

Because that's exactly what I'll need on my first day: a panicked mentor, support staff all over the place and a sense of general dread across the whole school as they fight for the printers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

!!!!!

Don't panic. It sounds like your lesson is good, your mentor would be honest if not!

I had the big O on placement though I was supporting a group rather than teaching whole class when they came in. It is scary but actually ok. They just watch and note and the children usually pull it out of the bag for you because they can tell!

Also remember:

They will look in context. They know you are a trainee at the start of your training and the standard expected reflects that.

They aren't assessing your teaching ability. They are assessing how the school is supporting you to become a good teacher.

They don't give judgements on individual lessons anyway.

Good luck, and get plenty of sleep. And remember, this will be a benefit for next time as you'll have seen how it works and be more prepared!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bit late joining this topic (guess it's from being so busy!) Absolutely loving my block A placement. I too didn't start small by using a starter or just a plenary, I taught two year 7 classes last week. This week I ran our form assembly which i created for them on the topic of Halloween which they really enjoyed. Been teaching 4 times this week and all is going well it seems. Had some good feedback how I can improve which I noticed myself (Always good to reflect!) Looking forward to half term consisting of lesson plans and extra reading, but overall, I didn't imagine it going so well this early in!
Reply 4069
So I'm coming to the end of my 2-week observation block placement. I've got to know my classes, who seem either OK or really excited I'll be teaching them, so no problems there. I haven't done any starters or lessons; the school has quite a thorough induction programme and is keen we don't to get to know the classes and things.

My main issue is apathy. And not the students, my own. This is the absolute last thing I thought I'd feel about being in school and teaching. When I'm looking at 30 stories or letters or whatever it is they're writing, I'm struck with 'how dull it is to read this (sometimes crap) work'. I fully understand how awful that sounds; the worst thing a teacher can be is apathetic. Perhaps it'll be different when I actually start teaching, but I'm feeling surprisingly bored. Some work I look at and I just want to throw it away it's so bad. It's like fixing a car that's been written off.

Another issue I'm having is creating creative lessons. I'm not, by nature, too creative, and I find it difficult to come up with what to do with a piece of stimuli e.g. a narrative piece of work. Where do I go with it, what shall I do with this story?

If anything, I thought the workload of the extensive lesson planning would bother me, but it's that I'm shockingly not bothered about their work. I feel it's dangerous to have an apathetic teacher, I really do. And perhaps things will change after I start teaching and feel more of a connection with the work they produce. Or, perhaps I should quit now...
I have been told I will be doing a full lessons first Monday back half term. I will be teaching how to construct pie charts with my year 8s. Also, I started to learn how to mark work now and started to assist teachers with marking. Things are looking good now, I'm really happy. :wink:
I have been told I will be doing a full lessons first Monday back half term. I will be teaching how to construct pie charts with my year 8s. Also, I started to learn how to mark work and even assisted some teachers with marking today. Things are looking good now, I'm really happy. :wink:
Original post by MrsSky

I would say keep going and see what happens. You are supervised and not expected to be fully responsible - you are not going to mess things up for these children if you don't do well. If you really did that bad you would be given extra support and then put on cause for concern and giving even more, so you shouldn't feel worried that you're doing them a disservice by not being perfect yet.

The creative lesson thing gets easier. Take advantage of online ideas and those from colleagues. Don't be afraid to see where the students want to take things and follow that. If you can get the students to be passionate about something then you'll find the quality of the work they produce is likely to be much higher. I know, easier said than done! But it is possible, and having had this time to get to know them will probably help. Maybe see if you're allowed to have a chat and ask them what they'd like to study, what they enjoy writing about, what types of writing they find hard or boring that you can try to help them with. Or perhaps do a form instead, but a chat would be nice so they can see you're genuine and you can ask them to expand.

Also

I imagine that some of the apathy you feel is worsened by not finding the work they are doing very interesting. If you can master making the work more interesting then it might be more exciting for you to read. It also comes with getting to know the children and having taught them yourself - when you know a pupil really struggles with something you've been working on for ages and then they do something really good you feel like 'Wow! I helped them do that!!!'. Plus you adjust more to their ability and see their achievements as being better. Right now your main frame of reference is your own study/writing which is obviously at a much higher level so it will make theirs seem immature.

xxx

OH also maybe see if there is a National Writing Project group nearby you can join http://www.nwp.org.uk/. Some welcome student teachers. I go to one at my old uni, once a month, we write and share our own writing, and then discuss links to practice/share writing we've taught. You get SO MANY good ideas for teaching from others, as well as from how you do your own writing. Some ideas I've got from mine:
--Choose a picture (selection of postcards etc). That's you. Write character description. Your character now goes on a spaceship with a group of others - discuss who you are. Write a journal entry about travelling and about where you end up. As a group write about where you have landed. Write a letter/note to someone. Also include drawing. Use lots of different papers and writing implements. Pin everything up on a string at the end to make a story about all these people.
--Labelling. Use phrases cut from charity shop books (fairy tales are awesome) stuck on to little tags, collect items (we did it with autumn natural items but could be ANYTHING). Add the labels to things they match. Use 'thesaurus' sheets of colours and descriptive words to write descriptions of objects looking very closely.
--Personify a season. Use whatever format you like.
--Make little flipbooks 'Brand name -- colour -- noun', you can interchange e.g. 'Bovril Orange Jogging Bottoms'
--Everyone brings a small food item (anything!). Everyone picks bits and makes their own food and writes a menu... can use a 'posh restaurant' style. I squashed strawberries in to a spoonful of cream, added sweets to the top of biscuits and arranged them in posh ways, with 'jus' (squeezed strawberries).

All of these things were courtesy of my very talented amazing tutor who runs my local group. They were all SO much fun!!!!! And really encouraged exciting writing. And remember, not every lesson has to result in a 'finished' 'full' piece of writing. You could go across several lessons. You could just work on bits... description or whatever. That's still worthwhile!

xxx
Original post by MrsSky
So I'm coming to the end of my 2-week observation block placement. I've got to know my classes, who seem either OK or really excited I'll be teaching them, so no problems there. I haven't done any starters or lessons; the school has quite a thorough induction programme and is keen we don't to get to know the classes and things.

My main issue is apathy. And not the students, my own. This is the absolute last thing I thought I'd feel about being in school and teaching. When I'm looking at 30 stories or letters or whatever it is they're writing, I'm struck with 'how dull it is to read this (sometimes crap) work'. I fully understand how awful that sounds; the worst thing a teacher can be is apathetic. Perhaps it'll be different when I actually start teaching, but I'm feeling surprisingly bored. Some work I look at and I just want to throw it away it's so bad. It's like fixing a car that's been written off.

Another issue I'm having is creating creative lessons. I'm not, by nature, too creative, and I find it difficult to come up with what to do with a piece of stimuli e.g. a narrative piece of work. Where do I go with it, what shall I do with this story?

If anything, I thought the workload of the extensive lesson planning would bother me, but it's that I'm shockingly not bothered about their work. I feel it's dangerous to have an apathetic teacher, I really do. And perhaps things will change after I start teaching and feel more of a connection with the work they produce. Or, perhaps I should quit now...

I think its important not to get too comfortable with them, then they don't see you as a teacher and more of a TA or helper or something which totally sucks.

Apathy is completely understandable though you should wait to make such a drastic decision as quitting the course before you get into the actual teaching. I'm not sure what subject you're teaching but you'll be fine when you get into it I think. Sometimes I feel quite apathetic in regards to the children. I am not naturally a 'i love kids' person. I want to help and thats more my motivation for doing it. Whilst choosing what subject to teach, I decided on Primary eventually as a varied curriculum was more important to me (I'd easily get bored teaching RE all year (which is my degree)) than a variety of children. Remember your initial reason for why you wanted to teach and that should carry you through.
Tomorrow I'm teaching my first lessons, one of the lessons with a lovely year 8 class however I have to teach a year 9 class last lesson. I'm dreading it and it has to go well because I will be writing my assignment on it. Compared to other people on my course I feel like I have a lot more work to do and it's causing so much stress, I haven't slept well for at least a week. :frown: Any advice?
What is the assignment title? Is it a reflective account?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Louzilla
Tomorrow I'm teaching my first lessons, one of the lessons with a lovely year 8 class however I have to teach a year 9 class last lesson. I'm dreading it and it has to go well because I will be writing my assignment on it. Compared to other people on my course I feel like I have a lot more work to do and it's causing so much stress, I haven't slept well for at least a week. :frown: Any advice?

As pineapple pie said, what is the assignment? None of the tasks I did for assignments had to go really well as long as I recognised the flaws, reflected and figured out how to improve.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
As pineapple pie said, what is the assignment? None of the tasks I did for assignments had to go really well as long as I recognised the flaws, reflected and figured out how to improve.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

This. They know where we are in our training and they only expect us to be trying things and reflecting. Doesn't need to be perfection, just needs to be aware of how you're progressing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4078
@Louzilla

I'm in the same position really - we have 3 assignments to complete in these few months plus these formal observations and I think the reality and pressure is setting in..

It's not as simple as I Initially thought, doubts setting in. I taught a year 9 class today and it was a tough experience, a lot of low level disruption and I really felt out of my comfort zone 30 girls do not quieten down simply when you tell them to, and the mutter a lot under their breath which is so off putting.

Year 7s where lovely and so easy to maintain behaviour, 11's on the other hand another nightmare.. hope I can cope :frown:
Original post by Sam89
@Louzilla

I'm in the same position really - we have 3 assignments to complete in these few months plus these formal observations and I think the reality and pressure is setting in..

It's not as simple as I Initially thought, doubts setting in. I taught a year 9 class today and it was a tough experience, a lot of low level disruption and I really felt out of my comfort zone 30 girls do not quieten down simply when you tell them to, and the mutter a lot under their breath which is so off putting.

Year 7s where lovely and so easy to maintain behaviour, 11's on the other hand another nightmare.. hope I can cope :frown:

Behaviour is one of the hardest things for the majority of trainees. Don't panic! It does get easier since you get to know the pupils better, start to learn strategies without having to consciously do them as much and most importantly gain confidence.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending