Mental Health Support Society Mk XIV

Scroll to see replies

Spoiler

Original post by ScaryScience

Spoiler

Spoiler

The landlord said I can't have a hamster :sad:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just saw the crisis team. They're worried about me and want me to go to hospital, I don't know why though :confused:

Spoiler

Spoiler

------

Also hugs to Noodlzzz, Odd Socks what's a hamster ever going to do to him? :grumble: Also make the most of it Dukey! :biggrin: Would quote all of you but I'd spam up the whole thread :colondollar: Big hugs to anyone that needs it though, basically :grouphugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Big hugs to all, especially for those for whom hospital is being discussed :grouphugs:

Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I'm new to this forum but am just wondering if it sounds like I'm getting anxiety. I'm on a last minute gap year and I have no job, nothing to do really and very little money to go out and see my friends. I was really motivated about looking for a job and exercising etc but these past 2 weeks I've just sort of crashed and I'm stuck in a cycle of procrastination and I can't seem to do anything productive with my time. I'm more irritable and my sleep cycle is completely out of whack - I go to bed late, have a good 9 or so hours of sleep, and I wake up late, lie in, and still feel tired and lethargic for the day. What's really worrying me though is that I've been getting palpitations recently, my heart starts to beat really strongly, my chest tightens, and I get short of breath.

I was worrying that it was literally a problem with my heart but now I'm wondering if it's anxiety from just generally feeling like I have no purpose. I keep tearing my nails so that they're really short and I'm wondering if that might be linked to anxiety too (when I was on holiday after results I was relaxed and I didn't pick and my nails grew really long, but then I got back and tore them all down again within a week or so). I'm a very academic person and a huge perfectionist so having no solid plan in place and nothing to do is really getting me down. The palpitations & shortness of breath are freaking me out and I'm just stuck in a rut - any advise would be greatly appreciated

Hi! Welcome to MHSS, though sorry to hear of what brings you here. Sounds quite scary :sadnod:

I'm not too sure what it could be in all honesty, but I def think it's worth talking to your GP about :yes:

Original post by Nathanielle
Hello, won't be as around so much the next three weeks, as I will be in Asia. (:nutcase:) Hope it will work out for me and well, still plenty stuff to do until I take the plane!

Good luck! :biggrin:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I'm new to this forum but am just wondering if it sounds like I'm getting anxiety. I'm on a last minute gap year and I have no job, nothing to do really and very little money to go out and see my friends. I was really motivated about looking for a job and exercising etc but these past 2 weeks I've just sort of crashed and I'm stuck in a cycle of procrastination and I can't seem to do anything productive with my time. I'm more irritable and my sleep cycle is completely out of whack - I go to bed late, have a good 9 or so hours of sleep, and I wake up late, lie in, and still feel tired and lethargic for the day. What's really worrying me though is that I've been getting palpitations recently, my heart starts to beat really strongly, my chest tightens, and I get short of breath.

I was worrying that it was literally a problem with my heart but now I'm wondering if it's anxiety from just generally feeling like I have no purpose. I keep tearing my nails so that they're really short and I'm wondering if that might be linked to anxiety too (when I was on holiday after results I was relaxed and I didn't pick and my nails grew really long, but then I got back and tore them all down again within a week or so). I'm a very academic person and a huge perfectionist so having no solid plan in place and nothing to do is really getting me down. The palpitations & shortness of breath are freaking me out and I'm just stuck in a rut - any advise would be greatly appreciated

:hugs: I had exactly the same situation a few years ago and am still dealing with it. Absolutely sounds like anxiety and / or sleep issues (even if you sleep a long time it needs to be restful). Even the palpatations can be anxiety as I found out when I rushed to a walk in centre while at uni fearing I'd damaged my heart and this was a downward spiral. I had a CT scan and other tests there and was absolutely fine. Likewise after blood tests with my GP etc. Of course thinking it is something truly bad, makes you even more anxious and the palpatations etc worse! Anxiety can do all sorts, so please don't worry as it's likely that's what it is and like me it sounds like you burnt yourself out and that is the root cause to this rather than perhaps other mental issues. On the flip side, definitely go to your GP and ask for a CT scan, blood tests etc - demand it. I went to a few other walk in centres too because I'm over the top like that. I'm almost certain you will be fine if you calm down and you can go from there :hugs:

Spoiler

Have you seen them? Do you feel safe?
had lunch in the dining room today :biggrin: proud of myself :biggrin:
Original post by Team_McDreamy

I'm proud of you :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jean-Luc Picard

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by furryface12

Spoiler

------

Also hugs to Noodlzzz, Odd Socks what's a hamster ever going to do to him? :grumble: Also make the most of it Dukey! :biggrin: Would quote all of you but I'd spam up the whole thread :colondollar: Big hugs to anyone that needs it though, basically :grouphugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, me too :hugs:
Original post by Team_McDreamy

Well done Hun xxx

---------------------------

I got through my first 2 lectures since my 4 day anxiety episode. I don't wanna speak too soon but sertraline isn't giving me any big side effects and I'm not feeling noticeably anxious any more :smile:

Just had a lecture on learning and the amygdala and my lecturer said that beta blockers do really bad things to your memory because of the affects of adrenaline and noradrenaline on learning. :frown: I'm screwed, lol.
Original post by Noodlzzz
Have you seen them? Do you feel safe?

Haha, their idea of urgent is about 9 hours after the GP rings. Don't feel particularly safe. Ideation and plans/intrusive thoughts are awful, but activeness is moderate, if you know what I mean. Have been worse, could do without admission.

Very sorry to hear what's been going on with you. I hope that it's a short stay :hugs:
Did anyone see the Free Speech episode?
Not feeling good today.
Body is shaking. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cinnie
Just had a lecture on learning and the amygdala and my lecturer said that beta blockers do really bad things to your memory because of the affects of adrenaline and noradrenaline on learning. :frown: I'm screwed, lol.

Never heard that before, did he cite that statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by james1211
Never heard that before, did he cite that statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK3907/

Extensive evidence indicates that stress hormones released from the adrenal glands are critically involved in memory consolidation of emotionally arousing experiences. Epinephrine, glucocorticoids, and specific agonists for their receptors administered after exposure to emotionally arousing experiences enhance the consolidation of long-term memories of these experiences.

In studies of human memory, epinephrine or cortisol treatment also appear to selectively enhance memory for emotionally arousing material.12–15

Blah blah .adrenal stress hormones influence memory consolidation of emotional experiences via interactions with arousal-induced activation of noradrenergic mechanisms within the amygdala.
Original post by Cinnie
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK3907/

Extensive evidence indicates that stress hormones released from the adrenal glands are critically involved in memory consolidation of emotionally arousing experiences. Epinephrine, glucocorticoids, and specific agonists for their receptors administered after exposure to emotionally arousing experiences enhance the consolidation of long-term memories of these experiences.

In studies of human memory, epinephrine or cortisol treatment also appear to selectively enhance memory for emotionally arousing material.12–15

Blah blah .adrenal stress hormones influence memory consolidation of emotional experiences via interactions with arousal-induced activation of noradrenergic mechanisms within the amygdala.

I suppose unless your uni work is emotionally arousing it's probably not going to have any negative effect :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by james1211
I suppose unless your uni work is emotionally arousing it's probably not going to have any negative effect :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:sexface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hoping a nurse can get me a prescription at the drs, :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest