The Student Room Group

The Oxford TSA thread - 2015 applicants - 5th Nov 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by PolarBearSlayer
2010 paper is right - where did you get the question from? Is it from the think you can think book or..?

You original thought process is right. The answer should be 2.

It wasn't my question, philerus posted it so I'm not sure where they got the question from.

I've not done any of the papers from think you can think, only got it on Monday and had a flick through it. If it is from that book then I don't have much confidence in it. I think I'm going to send it back anyway and get Ace the Thinking Skills Assessment by Neel Burton. It's new and I've been told it's the best one now
2010 paper is right - where did you get the question from? Is it from the think you can think book or..?

You original thought process is right. The answer should be 2.

Original post by Askaud
It wasn't my question, philerus posted it so I'm not sure where they got the question from.

I've not done any of the papers from think you can think, only got it on Monday and had a flick through it. If it is from that book then I don't have much confidence in it. I think I'm going to send it back anyway and get Ace the Thinking Skills Assessment by Neel Burton. It's new and I've been told it's the best one now

I did not get this question from Think You Can Think, but from a set of questions I found on the website of the authours of Think You Can Think, Oxbridge Applications.

Askaud, I am also quite concerned about Think You Can Think but, since I am an international student, there is no possible way that I can order another book and have it delived on time, so could you kindly explain what you heard about the Neel Burton book and it being the best TSA book? It would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!
Original post by philerus
I did not get this question from Think You Can Think, but from a set of questions I found on the website of the authours of Think You Can Think, Oxbridge Applications.

Askaud, I am also quite concerned about Think You Can Think but, since I am an international student, there is no possible way that I can order another book and have it delived on time, so could you kindly explain what you heard about the Neel Burton book and it being the best TSA book? It would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

Oh right I see. Are the Oxbridge applications freely available or do they cost?

Many thanks
Oh right I see. Are the Oxbridge applications freely available or do they cost?

Many thanks

It was only 6 questions which were available for free. They also sell full past papers, but these are a bit too expensive, in my opinion (I do not remember the exact price).
Original post by ayesha_17
Has anyone done practice paper 2 from Think You Can Think? It's the first timed paper I've done and since there's no score conversion I'm not sure whether my score is sufficient seeing I didn't do that well but did think it was a hard paper.. Anyone think it was particularly more difficult than the other (actual) TSA papers? Or am I just trying to make myself feel better haha :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, you're right they are definitely harder - the critical thinking ones in general are slightly easier but all the number problem solving ones are much harder to do!
ah tsr servers ~.~

can someone please explain the reasoning behinde question 22 of the november 2012 exam ? why is c, rather than a the correct answer ? and how has preparation helped you guys improve your scores ?
Anyone have worked solutions for q. 31&48 for 2011?

Thanks.
HI, I'm confused on this question from the ace the TSA book paper 1 no. 44:

John, Andrew, Mary and Anne go on a special diet.

At the beginning og the year, they weighed 75kg,85kg,80kg and 70kg respectively.

During the year, they all changed weight by at least 5kg. John lost more weight than either Mary ro Anne, while Andrew gained weight.

Which of the following is not a possible increasing order of their weights by the end of the year?

A) Anne, John, Mary, Andrew
B) John, Mary Anne, Andrew
c) John, Anne, Mary, Andrew
d) Mary, John, Anne, Andrew
e) Anne, John, Andrew, Mary

The answer is D, but my problem with this question that Andrew weighed the most at the start and he also gained weight so why is Mary heavier than him in option E since she lost weight?
Original post by ernstol
ah tsr servers ~.~

can someone please explain the reasoning behind question 22 of the november 2012 exam ? why is c, rather than a the correct answer ? and how has preparation helped you guys improve your scores ?

Any answers guys ? :confused::colondollar:
Reply 169
Original post by PaulKrugman
Anyone have worked solutions for q. 31&48 for 2011?

Thanks.

31 is difficult to explain on this. I'll try to think of a way to explain but I just 'played the game'

48. It says she seeks detailed information on 5 companies, so looking at the table it is 5x50c which is $2.50. And then uses other services 42 times which are all priced at 10c. So 42x10c is $4.20. Add them both up and you get $6.70
Reply 170
Original post by Teddysmith123
HI, I'm confused on this question from the ace the TSA book paper 1 no. 44:

John, Andrew, Mary and Anne go on a special diet.

At the beginning og the year, they weighed 75kg,85kg,80kg and 70kg respectively.

During the year, they all changed weight by at least 5kg. John lost more weight than either Mary ro Anne, while Andrew gained weight.

Which of the following is not a possible increasing order of their weights by the end of the year?

A) Anne, John, Mary, Andrew
B) John, Mary Anne, Andrew
c) John, Anne, Mary, Andrew
d) Mary, John, Anne, Andrew
e) Anne, John, Andrew, Mary

The answer is D, but my problem with this question that Andrew weighed the most at the start and he also gained weight so why is Mary heavier than him in option E since she lost weight?

It's a bit of a suspect question really but it never says that Mary actually loses weight or doesn't gain weight. The confusion comes with it saying John loses MORE than Mary which would imply that Mary loses weight but never says for certain that she does.
As I say the question is a little dodgy and that's the only reason I can think of for why E isn't correct
Original post by Askaud
It's a bit of a suspect question really but it never says that Mary actually loses weight or doesn't gain weight. The confusion comes with it saying John loses MORE than Mary which would imply that Mary loses weight but never says for certain that she does.
As I say the question is a little dodgy and that's the only reason I can think of for why E isn't correct

Oh ok thats really annoying! I guess I'm just going to have to be really scrutinize the question next time I read it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys, need some help with TSA 2010 here.

having some trouble with these 2 problems, help would be appreciated

this question can be solved by painfully writing down the timings... but is there any more elegant way to solve this?

i'm just unable to do this one.
Hello! I'm applying for E&M at Oxford, and am getting absolutely no guidance from school about how to answer questions? For the section 2 essay, what structure do you use to answer question? Do you answer with points supporting your argument, or take a classic for/against/conclusion format?

Any help greatly appreciatedddd!!!
Reply 174
Original post by milkman94
Hi guys, need some help with TSA 2010 here.

having some trouble with these 2 problems, help would be appreciated

this question can be solved by painfully writing down the timings... but is there any more elegant way to solve this?

i'm just unable to do this one.

The first one really doesn't take much time by just writing down their respective times at the port.

As for the second one - the important part to note is that she doesn't take the quickest route, so we know that if she always passes through a landmark it's necessarily the one in the centre, since you wouldn't be passing through the one on the right and the one's on the left you could either take the left or the centre path and wouldn't always pass through one of them.

Then from the second piece of information you can tell that the only way you would have to, in every case, pass through something twice would be if you went from one of the landmarks on the left to the furthest right and back to the left, confirming that the one on the right is the fountain but there is still doubt as to what the ones of the left are. This means only 2 of the landmarks can be 100% confirmed.

Sorry if the explanation was overly verbose, it's tough trying to explain these problem solving Qs through text.
Reply 175

Well the teacher that dealt with ucas stuf at my old sixth form recommended it.
I was just told that it was far more clear and more to the point than any of the other books whilst also making it more interesting rather than text book. It's got 3 mocks in like Think you can Think but she says the answers are explained slightly better. She said the bit for section 2 could be better but she prefers it to any of the others. I think tbh there's probably not too much difference but as this is new, I'm going to give it a go. She said I could go in and have a look at it but its been half term here this week and I'd rather just get it ordered and send the other back.

Btw its not cheap but you can get it for kindle if that helps?
Original post by Askaud
Well the teacher that dealt with ucas stuf at my old sixth form recommended it.
I was just told that it was far more clear and more to the point than any of the other books whilst also making it more interesting rather than text book. It's got 3 mocks in like Think you can Think but she says the answers are explained slightly better. She said the bit for section 2 could be better but she prefers it to any of the others. I think tbh there's probably not too much difference but as this is new, I'm going to give it a go. She said I could go in and have a look at it but its been half term here this week and I'd rather just get it ordered and send the other back.

Btw its not cheap but you can get it for kindle if that helps?

Thank you very much for your reply. I will definitely consider getting a kindle version. I havn't even thought of it, since I had the outdated opinion that kindle apps are only available for kindle devices. I am glad to find out that I am wrong. However, I might get the Cracking the TSA book by Mitesh Desai, since that costs 6 quid, as opposed to 2 quid for the book you mentioned. Neverhteless, I would like to ask you if you have any opinion on the former book compared to the latter. Thanks again!
Thank you very much for your reply. I will definitely consider getting a kindle version. I havn't even thought of it, since I had the outdated opinion that kindle apps are only available for kindle devices. I am glad to find out that I am wrong. However, I might get the Cracking the TSA book by Mitesh Desai, since that costs 6 quid, as opposed to 2 quid for the book you mentioned. Neverhteless, I would like to ask you if you have any opinion on the former book compared to the latter. Thanks again!

Well, massive fail. The cheaper book by Mithesh Desai is not available for purchase in my country (via Kindle) and the Ace the TSA book is not available for purchase via Kindle at all, despite Amazon saying that a Kindle version is available.
Reply 178
Hi everyone,

What score do you need to have a very good chance to make it to the interviews? My best so far is 42 correct.
Original post by Adriaan
Hi everyone,

What score do you need to have a very good chance to make it to the interviews? My best so far is 42 correct.

From what I know, the score should be in the 60s after conversions, so yours will usually be high 60s low 70s. This will mean an almost definite interview, assuming your grades/ps/reference etc are decent. What course are you applying to and which college?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending