The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk XIV

Scroll to see replies

Quick heads up if anybody follows Humans of New York on Facebook

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have dysthymia, which I have only recently been diagnosed with. It's like a very mild but ever present depression, like a thin cover between you and life that you can't quite get through. Everything is fine. I work, I have friends, I do things.. but I do them because I feel I should, not because I want to, and I cannot remember the last time I looked forward to anything. At all. In fact, I'm fairly sure that it began as early as 14 years old when I started to gradually draw back from things I enjoyed before. Leaving me now with pretty much nothing other than work, family and boyfriend (and I work from home which is isolated, but the pay is good & I'd never earn as much if I looked elsewhere).

Anyway, I decided I'd try some herbal remedies along with guidance from my doctor. Because I don't feel things are bad enough to go down the AD route. As I say I'm totally functional, I'm just not hitting my potential. If it doesn't work then yeah, I'll think again.

It's day 2 today and it apparently takes 6 weeks to work, but today when I was out with my boyfriend in town, I saw a cafe and suggested we stop for a muffin. It was so yummy. It was then that I realised just how rare it was for me to want to do something, suggest we do it, and then go through with it. We walked past the cafe on the way to where we were going, I thought how nice their cakes were, then on the way back I actually suggested the whole thing.

Yeah, it's cake, big deal. But for me, it is.

I don't know if it's possible for the pills to be working so early, or if just the thought of doing something to improve my situation has given me an immediate lift, but to be honest I don't care. Wanting to do little things that bring small moments of pleasure is something I've been missing for a long time, and I do hope it's coming back.

Now that I've had a small amount of insight, had a diagnosis plus time to think, it's making me annoyed at myself for wasting so many years without really noticing anything was wrong! It's not "wrong" as such, it just could be much much better, & I hope I'm on that road now :smile:.

Sorry for all of the people here who have severe depression, I hope you don't mind me posting. It's just that I feel posting updates could help me a little bit.
Original post by james1211
Anyone know anything about Disabled Student's Allowance and should I/am i entitled to apply for it due to mental health?

It's brilliant first of all. I got equipment like a laptop, printer and dictaphone - so I could record lectures. I get a general allowance which means I can claim back on things like printer ink/internet costs/printer paper too. You should definitely apply!
Original post by Deyesy
It's brilliant first of all. I got equipment like a laptop, printer and dictaphone - so I could record lectures. I get a general allowance which means I can claim back on things like printer ink/internet costs/printer paper too. You should definitely apply!

What kind of formal proof of mental health problems do i need?
Original post by Anonymous #2
Have you thought about trying to write down how you feel and giving it to her? That's what I did the first time I ever told anybody about things. It doesn't even have to be detailed, just a few bullet points that you can either give to her or that you keep in front of you so you can get across everything you wanted to say :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

i dont think i can do that.
Original post by guitaristemily
i dont think i can do that.

You could always try? If it doesn't work out then you haven't lost anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What kind of formal proof of mental health problems do i need?

I got a doctor's note :smile: Just saying what mental health problems I have and how long I've been suffering from them? I don't mind sending you a copy of my medical evidence in a PM?
You could always try? If it doesn't work out then you haven't lost anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

my school is awful at stuff like this. heck, i only saw her becuase of some stress, and i have got to see her again tomorrow becuase she was busy.(even though she summoned me in the frist place ...) i dot think she can help me witht his though, let alone my head.
my school is awful at stuff like this. heck, i only saw her becuase of some stress, and i have got to see her again tomorrow becuase she was busy.(even though she summoned me in the frist place ...) i dot think she can help me witht his though, let alone my head.

You can always try though, she might surprise you. :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
You can always try though, she might surprise you. :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

see wont.
Original post by Deyesy
I got a doctor's note :smile: Just saying what mental health problems I have and how long I've been suffering from them? I don't mind sending you a copy of my medical evidence in a PM?

If you're sure you wouldn't mind, that would be really helpful thanks! I'd not heard about DSA until now, when i went to change my student finance household income. Applying for things like that scares me, cause i always assume they'll think i'm lying or something :frown:
Dad started shouting. Feel like crying :cry2:

Anyone know anything about Disabled Student's Allowance and should I/am i entitled to apply for it due to mental health?

Mental health issues are def covered by DSA. You should def inquire if you have some doctor's note lying about somewhere, or can get one :yes:

Only thing is since you're in your final year (have I got that right?), you will have to return any equipment given to you, I think...

Original post by Anonymous
I have dysthymia, which I have only recently been diagnosed with. It's like a very mild but ever present depression, like a thin cover between you and life that you can't quite get through. Everything is fine. I work, I have friends, I do things.. but I do them because I feel I should, not because I want to, and I cannot remember the last time I looked forward to anything. At all. In fact, I'm fairly sure that it began as early as 14 years old when I started to gradually draw back from things I enjoyed before. Leaving me now with pretty much nothing other than work, family and boyfriend (and I work from home which is isolated, but the pay is good & I'd never earn as much if I looked elsewhere).

Anyway, I decided I'd try some herbal remedies along with guidance from my doctor. Because I don't feel things are bad enough to go down the AD route. As I say I'm totally functional, I'm just not hitting my potential. If it doesn't work then yeah, I'll think again.

It's day 2 today and it apparently takes 6 weeks to work, but today when I was out with my boyfriend in town, I saw a cafe and suggested we stop for a muffin. It was so yummy. It was then that I realised just how rare it was for me to want to do something, suggest we do it, and then go through with it. We walked past the cafe on the way to where we were going, I thought how nice their cakes were, then on the way back I actually suggested the whole thing.

Yeah, it's cake, big deal. But for me, it is.

I don't know if it's possible for the pills to be working so early, or if just the thought of doing something to improve my situation has given me an immediate lift, but to be honest I don't care. Wanting to do little things that bring small moments of pleasure is something I've been missing for a long time, and I do hope it's coming back.

Now that I've had a small amount of insight, had a diagnosis plus time to think, it's making me annoyed at myself for wasting so many years without really noticing anything was wrong! It's not "wrong" as such, it just could be much much better, & I hope I'm on that road now :smile:.

Sorry for all of the people here who have severe depression, I hope you don't mind me posting. It's just that I feel posting updates could help me a little bit.

Hey! Welcome to MHSS. I'm glad you found us. Sorry to hear about your dysthymia but glad you have already somehow had a breakthrough at this very early stage :smile: We certainly don't mind you posting updates at all - if it's helpful for you, go for it, and then we can cheer you on :biggrin:
:hugs: Have you been before?

Posted from TSR Mobile

no I haven't :frown:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

:console: :hugs:
see wont.

Is there anybody else you could talk to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mental health issues are def covered by DSA. You should def inquire if you have some doctor's note lying about somewhere, or can get one :yes:

Only thing is since you're in your final year (have I got that right?), you will have to return any equipment given to you, I think...

Oh no, he wasn't shouting at you was he? :hugs:

Correct, i'm in final year. Also seen the application can take 14 weeks to approve :s-smilie:

I think a laptop would be incredibly useful, as there are very rarely computers on campus that are in quiet areas and are never free, so i have to work in the loud areas and can't focus at all. Even the most basic one would help my studies hugely. I just can't work in busy areas of the campus, brain turns to scrambled egg and nothing can be focused on.
(edited 9 years ago)
:console: :hugs:

Thanks. I hate in when people shout :cry:
crisis team are ****. no contact. been nearly 7 hours. is it normal to always wait forever? last time I waited 9 hours :frown: :frown:
Is there anybody else you could talk to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

nope

same here :console:

:frown: :frown: so sorry hun :hugs:

Latest