The Student Room Group

Assess the view that marriage remains a patriarchal institution

Can someone help me on how to answer this 24 mark question
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
Original post by zakkiyah98

Some points in favour:

Women are expected to take the man's surname in marriage, and stigmatised if they don't. (Gillam -- "Perfect equality - my husband keeps his name and I keep mine is held as a statement of superiority on my part.")

The dark side of the family - domestic violence in marriage (use any statistics you have about the majority of domestic violence cases being violence against women - a criticism of this point can then be that there are cases of men being abused by their wives).

Mention feminist sociologists, explain this is a feminist perspective, etc. You can always criticise the view that marriage is still patriarchal by contrasting radical and liberal views (liberal feminists = march of progress = marriage is becoming less of a patriarchal institution).

Fran Ansley: said women are "takers of ****" in marriage, absorbing men's frustration of capitalism. (Marxist view.)

Marriage forces women into domestic/expressive roles. ('Expressive roles' - Parsons)

Marriage as a posititive institution:

Functionalist sociologists would argue marriage to be positive, and so would New Right (New Right say marriage means fewer single parent/"broken" families.)

Marriage for same-sex couples is legal now, and same-sex marriages don't bear the same fixed gender scripts (there's a study on same-sex couples and housework, I think -- basically, same-sex couples are more likely to share domestic tasks equally, so women in lesbian marriages aren't being oppressed). These marriages aren't patriarchal.

This is just what I can remember from last year, so I mightn't be that helpful, sorry :tongue:
Help me this 24 mark
Original post by lauraccc
Some points in favour:

Women are expected to take the man's surname in marriage, and stigmatised if they don't. (Gillam -- "Perfect equality - my husband keeps his name and I keep mine is held as a statement of superiority on my part.")

The dark side of the family - domestic violence in marriage (use any statistics you have about the majority of domestic violence cases being violence against women - a criticism of this point can then be that there are cases of men being abused by their wives).

Mention feminist sociologists, explain this is a feminist perspective, etc. You can always criticise the view that marriage is still patriarchal by contrasting radical and liberal views (liberal feminists = march of progress = marriage is becoming less of a patriarchal institution).

Fran Ansley: said women are "takers of ****" in marriage, absorbing men's frustration of capitalism. (Marxist view.)

Marriage forces women into domestic/expressive roles. ('Expressive roles' - Parsons)

Marriage as a posititive institution:

Functionalist sociologists would argue marriage to be positive, and so would New Right (New Right say marriage means fewer single parent/"broken" families.)

Marriage for same-sex couples is legal now, and same-sex marriages don't bear the same fixed gender scripts (there's a study on same-sex couples and housework, I think -- basically, same-sex couples are more likely to share domestic tasks equally, so women in lesbian marriages aren't being oppressed). These marriages aren't patriarchal.

This is just what I can remember from last year, so I mightn't be that helpful, sorry :tongue:

hey did you do AQA sociology last year?
Original post by zakkiyah98

Marriages must and should remain patriarchal for there to be ORDER, BALANCE and SUSTAINABILITY. For the past two or three decades, proponents of matriarchal/shared marriage order have only argued their case by basing their points on a few negative things which happen when men are at the head of their marriages. Its is absurd how the present society takes a jab at patriarchy in marriages, yet it is this arrangement that has been functional for ages. Families were together for hundreds of years and marriages were not breaking up everyday when men were in charge. Men are naturally equipped to survive danger, steer families and protect their offsprings-something which women are too emotional to do.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending