The Student Room Group

Are people who only get 2.1s 'basically stupid?'

I was trying to explain to someone why a First is generally more attractive and respectable than a 2.1 to people(employers/dates etc.) and eventually they told me I am dumb. Can one conclude that people who get 2.1s are stupid, given Firsts are not all that rare now?

Edit: Mods could you change the title as this is someone else telling me what I should think not what I want to think of people...it seems that the teachings of the red pill hurt people :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Riku
I was trying to explain to someone why a First is generally more attractive and respectable than a 2.1 to people(employers/dates etc.) and eventually they told me I am dumb. Can one conclude that people who get 2.1s are stupid, given Firsts are not all that rare now?

Come on Riku. You're better than that. 2/10 for this one.
No one is stupid

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Eboracum
Come on Riku. You're better than that. 2/10 for this one.

No she called me dumb, I will quote it if necessary :s-smilie: and for the last time I don't troll I just have anxiety from perfectionist tendencies and a fear of failure
(edited 9 years ago)
Sounds like a silly conclusion to make.
Reply 5
Original post by RayApparently
Sounds like a silly conclusion to make.

One would think so, but then why would she say it if it weren't partially rooted in truth? :s-smilie:
Reply 6
2.1s are generally the going rate for an 'above average' grade, and firsts are brilliant. Due to grade inflation, 2.1s are certainly not as rare or exceptional as they may have been previously, and if reports on companies filtering out job applicants with lower than a 2.1 are to be believed, are actually quite important for a graduate to enter the swelling job market.

That is completely different, however, from saying people who get 2.1s are 'stupid', which is fallacious. You are correct in saying Firsts are more desirable, that's just pure logic, but you cannot conclude that anyone who doesn't get a first is stupid.
No.
I got a 2:2. It really amazes people that I can put my own socks on.
Original post by Riku
One would think so, but then why would she say it if it weren't partially rooted in truth? :s-smilie:

I don't follow you're logic. Maybe she called your reasoning dumb... because she thought it was dumb?
Original post by Sabertooth
I got a 2:2. It really amazes people that I can put my own socks on.

Yeah but how long did it take you to realize they go on your feet? :tongue:
You're suggesting that the (vast?) majority of those who actually gained degrees uni are... 'basically stupid'? Wow. :lolwut:

Riku please.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
This question reeks of attention-seeking arrogance.
Original post by Arkasia
Yeah but how long did it take you to realize they go on your feet? :tongue:

But then how do I keep my ears warm? :confused:
Reply 14
Original post by RayApparently
I don't follow you're logic. Maybe she called your reasoning dumb... because she thought it was dumb?

My reasoning of intellectual and social elitism is perfectly rational when eliminating uncontrolled variables of human emotion such as empathy, compassion etc. :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sabertooth
But then how do I keep my ears warm? :confused:

Ugh, I can tell you got a 2.2...

Have you never heard of gloves?
Reply 16
Original post by karmacrunch
You're suggesting that the (vast?) majority of those who actually gained degrees uni are... 'basically stupid'? Wow. :lolwut:

Riku please.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not suggesting it, it was suggested to.me and reminds me sometimes I am blinded by naive idealism. :s-smilie:

Original post by LHEF
This question reeks of attention-seeking arrogance.

Not really, since I have a 2.1 too...
Original post by Riku
No she called me dumb, I will quote it if necessary :s-smilie: and for the last time I don't troll I just have anxiety from perfectionist tendencies and a fear of failure

I've no idea who it was, but it is an incredibly snobbish, arrogant and elitist comment to make. It's incredibly difficult to get a 1st at university. Most of my essays get me a 2:1.

It's also harder depending on the university. So if she has a 1st from a university ranked #90 and you have a 2:1 from a university ranked #12 you probably achieved more.
Original post by Riku
My reasoning of intellectual and social elitism is perfectly rational when eliminating uncontrolled variables of human emotion such as empathy, compassion etc. :frown:

That sentence doesn't quite compute with 'people who get 2.1s are stupid'. That's not rational unless you have a very dumb definition of stupidity.
Reply 19
Original post by Riku
Not really, since I have a 2.1 too...

Okay, I'll strike the arrogance bit, but you've phrased the question in a needlessly controversial manner.

As for the question, a 1st sometimes makes people over-qualified for certain positions - no employer wants to feel like you're just marking time until you can find a better job. Perhaps this is what was meant?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending