The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MunaLee
I am a mature student applying too , is anyone here doing an access course ? most universities ask for alot of distinctions ! god ! its alot to do :frown:

Hiya :smile: I'm also doing an access course at the moment. There is a lot of work to do and it isn't easy but i think that by getting through this will set us up really well for uni! Yeah UEA want all distinctions :/ and a lot of others want 30+ distinctions. We'll get there! Where are you applying to?
Reply 121
Hi, I sent off my UCAS last Friday and have applied to Reading, City University London, DMU, Manchester and UEA. I'm worried about my application I got 3 high A's and a C at AS and am predicted 2 A's and an A*. However, I have no work experience and I know most universities find this key. I have been for the past year emailing local hospitals and was wondering if I got a placement before my interview would I let the interviewer know? I'm just anxious that I don't come across as passionate yet where I live there is nowhere to volunteer for under 18's. Also does anyone know if the interviews are individual or group and if so does anyone have any good advice/tips?
Original post by anomea
Hi, I sent off my UCAS last Friday and have applied to Reading, City University London, DMU, Manchester and UEA. I'm worried about my application I got 3 high A's and a C at AS and am predicted 2 A's and an A*. However, I have no work experience and I know most universities find this key. I have been for the past year emailing local hospitals and was wondering if I got a placement before my interview would I let the interviewer know? I'm just anxious that I don't come across as passionate yet where I live there is nowhere to volunteer for under 18's. Also does anyone know if the interviews are individual or group and if so does anyone have any good advice/tips?

Hi - I went through the process last year but only applied to Manchester out of your choices. We cant talk specifics about the interviews but all the ones I attended were largely written with some group activities and brief one to ones.

I was 17 when I applied so had little actual experience. I did manage through family friends to sit in on some SLT sessions and I watched a lot of videos on the computer. I also read a lot around the subject.

Good luck.
Good luck.
Reply 123
Just got an email from Reading saying they want to see a transcript of my previous degree. Unfortunately I didn't do too well in my research project so I hope this doesn't put them off giving me an offer :frown:
Original post by djavor
Just got an email from Reading saying they want to see a transcript of my previous degree. Unfortunately I didn't do too well in my research project so I hope this doesn't put them off giving me an offer :frown:

Fingers crossed for you, I'm sure it will be fine :smile:
Reply 125
Original post by AmyPilot
Hi - I went through the process last year but only applied to Manchester out of your choices. We cant talk specifics about the interviews but all the ones I attended were largely written with some group activities and brief one to ones.

I was 17 when I applied so had little actual experience. I did manage through family friends to sit in on some SLT sessions and I watched a lot of videos on the computer. I also read a lot around the subject.

Good luck.
Good luck.

Thanks, that's put some of my worrying at ease, whenever I went to open days most people had been volunteering for several years, so its nice to know that isn't the only way to get on the course. I've read a lot but I never thought about watching videos that's a really good idea :smile:
Reply 126
Original post by lahlah
Hey guys
am a 1st year SLT student at Manchester university who knows exactly what you guys are going through, because I went through same process last year. Just wanted to say please don't hesitate to pm if you have any questions about the application process including SLT at MU. Good luck!

Hi there,
Did you get offer soon after you applied?
Reply 127
Original post by sylbou
Hi there,

How are you finding the course so far?
Workload wise??
Essays??
Reply 128
Original post by anomea

Hi Anomea
I also applied for london city.
No news yet though...
Original post by anomea

Where do you live?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sylbou
Hi there,

If Uni of Manchester follow the same direction as last year you get invited for interview from December time (I went to their first interview date on 4 Dec) - they finished interviews in March and made all offers or rejections on 28 March so it was a long wait!
If Uni of Manchester follow the same direction as last year you get invited for interview from December time (I went to their first interview date on 4 Dec) - they finished interviews in March and made all offers or rejections on 28 March so it was a long wait!

God, I think that wait would kill me lol!!
Original post by madagascar
God, I think that wait would kill me lol!!

Afraid its par for the course with SLT! Sheffield were even longer last year. So glad I am out of it now - it's strange seeing everyone stress on the various "offers" threads on here - some don't know the half of what we go through, getting almost immediate offers based on grade predictions alone.

But all's well that ends well and its worth it - eventually lol
:biggrin:
Afraid its par for the course with SLT! Sheffield were even longer last year. So glad I am out of it now - it's strange seeing everyone stress on the various "offers" threads on here - some don't know the half of what we go through, getting almost immediate offers based on grade predictions alone.

But all's well that ends well and its worth it - eventually lol
:biggrin:

Mmm... I watched your thread for last year and saw what you were all going through with checking track like 100 times a day lol.

I haven't submitted my application yet, I'm off to Cardiff's open day tomorrow, it's down to there or Sheffield as my 5th option. I went to Sheffield's open day a few months ago.

My list so far is Leeds Becket, Marjon (Plymouth), Newcastle and Birmingham.

I'm sure that within a week of submitting to UCAS i will have no finger nails left though lol! x
Mmm... I watched your thread for last year and saw what you were all going through with checking track like 100 times a day lol.

I haven't submitted my application yet, I'm off to Cardiff's open day tomorrow, it's down to there or Sheffield as my 5th option. I went to Sheffield's open day a few months ago.

My list so far is Leeds Becket, Marjon (Plymouth), Newcastle and Birmingham.

I'm sure that within a week of submitting to UCAS i will have no finger nails left though lol! x

I only applied to Leeds and Sheffield from your choices. I didn't do biology so Newcastle was a no-go for me and Marjon and Cardiff were too far from home (I live in the north west) - have to say liked the look of Cardiff though and a nice location. Birmingham I did think about but went for Sheffield as my 5th option.

I really liked Leeds - got a good feeling about the place at the interview (but they didn't give me an offer) - Sheffield left me feeling a little cold but some loved it.

Ended up at MMU which was my original first choice (doing the joint SLT/psychology course). Uni of Manchester was my insurance choice. Truth be told would have been happy with either Manchester courses but pleased I got the grades to go to my firm/first option.

Hope its a good day at the open day and helps to make up your mind.

Good luck
Reply 135
I only applied to Leeds and Sheffield from your choices. I didn't do biology so Newcastle was a no-go for me and Marjon and Cardiff were too far from home (I live in the north west) - have to say liked the look of Cardiff though and a nice location. Birmingham I did think about but went for Sheffield as my 5th option.

I really liked Leeds - got a good feeling about the place at the interview (but they didn't give me an offer) - Sheffield left me feeling a little cold but some loved it.

Ended up at MMU which was my original first choice (doing the joint SLT/psychology course). Uni of Manchester was my insurance choice. Truth be told would have been happy with either Manchester courses but pleased I got the grades to go to my firm/first option.

Good luck

Hi AmyPilot
What are the most challenging aspects of Bsc SLT?
How often do you have to submit essays?
Can you please give tips on how to prepare for the first year?

Good luck

Pleased you got in where you wanted!

I hope to get in at Marjon because it's near to where I live... we'll see tho. Looking forward to Cardiff - thanks :smile:

Are you enjoying your course so far?

x
Original post by sylbou
Hi AmyPilot
What are the most challenging aspects of Bsc SLT?
How often do you have to submit essays?
Can you please give tips on how to prepare for the first year?

Wow not really sure how to answer those questions! Still only a month into the course!

Hardest part for me is the variety of subjects you have to cover and the transition from learning at college to learning styles at uni. I have had work/assessments to hand in but no essays as yet - it's not like the homework I have been used to receiving during my education to date. I am also straight out of college so being independent is also a steep learning curve. Biological science especially terrified me first lesson as I have done no science since GCSE 2 years ago!

The only thing I can suggest to prepare is read read read.

Where are you applying? Has your application been sent yet?
Pleased you got in where you wanted!

I hope to get in at Marjon because it's near to where I live... we'll see tho. Looking forward to Cardiff - thanks :smile:

Are you enjoying your course so far?

x

Manchester is like that for me - only just down the road from home!

And yes the course is really enjoyable.

Hope the weather stays ok for your trip to Wales :smile:
Reply 139
Wow not really sure how to answer those questions! Still only a month into the course!

Hardest part for me is the variety of subjects you have to cover and the transition from learning at college to learning styles at uni. I have had work/assessments to hand in but no essays as yet - it's not like the homework I have been used to receiving during my education to date. I am also straight out of college so being independent is also a steep learning curve. Biological science especially terrified me first lesson as I have done no science since GCSE 2 years ago!

The only thing I can suggest to prepare is read read read.

Where are you applying? Has your application been sent yet?

Well only applied for london city as I am a mature student with kids!!
I sent my applic on the 8th of Oct.

Quick Reply

Latest