The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sylbou
Well only applied for london city as I am a mature student with kids!!
I sent my applic on the 8th of Oct.

Oh I see - there are a lot of mature students on the course. Our timetable can be a bit erratic at times which I think can cause some issues but on the whole I think "mature" can be an advantage - experience and all that! Good luck.
How are everyone's applications going?

If you need any advice, I'm happy to help :smile:

Original post by AmyPilot
x

Hey! How are you finding it at MMU? :h:
Reply 142
Oh I see - there are a lot of mature students on the course. Our timetable can be a bit erratic at times which I think can cause some issues but on the whole I think "mature" can be an advantage - experience and all that! Good luck.

Thank you and all the best!
Original post by saraw26
How are everyone's applications going?

If you need any advice, I'm happy to help :smile:

Hey! How are you finding it at MMU? :h:

It's good thanks - how is Birmingham? No Uni today so a nice long weekend but at hospital for first health assessment Monday which will probably mean needles - yikes!!
It's good thanks - how is Birmingham? No Uni today so a nice long weekend but at hospital for first health assessment Monday which will probably mean needles - yikes!!

Birmingham is fab :h: Ooh, nice one! I had a 3 hour lecture this morning and then another 2 hours in the afternoon, but all very interesting :smile: Oh no! Mine isn't until November, because they are trying to get the nurses sorted first as it's not long until they go on placement :tongue:
Original post by saraw26
Birmingham is fab :h: Ooh, nice one! I had a 3 hour lecture this morning and then another 2 hours in the afternoon, but all very interesting :smile: Oh no! Mine isn't until November, because they are trying to get the nurses sorted first as it's not long until they go on placement :tongue:

We have our first placements in November in a primary school. It's all go isn't it? Is your timetable as erratic as ours? Apart from Mondays (which is my psychology unit day and not SLT) it seems to alter every week!
We have our first placements in November in a primary school. It's all go isn't it? Is your timetable as erratic as ours? Apart from Mondays (which is my psychology unit day and not SLT) it seems to alter every week!

Ooh nice! Mine isn't until March :tongue: It was crazy at first, but seems to have settled into a pattern now :h: How's the psychology part of it going? :smile:
Reply 147
Original post by saraw26
Ooh nice! Mine isn't until March :tongue: It was crazy at first, but seems to have settled into a pattern now :h: How's the psychology part of it going? :smile:

Saraw26
Which uni are you at?
Original post by saraw26

I will have done 2 placements by March (both in schools) and then we have a clinical placement at the end of the academic year. No sign of a definite routine yet but I don't really check timetable more than a week or so in advance so who knows what the coming weeks will bring lol! The psychology bit is fine it was my first biology lesson that had me running screaming from the room!!
Reply 149
Original post by evantej
Where do you live?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In Norfolk and I'm surrounded by villages, so the nearest hospital with an SLT department is 2 hours away :/
Reply 150
I will have done 2 placements by March (both in schools) and then we have a clinical placement at the end of the academic year. No sign of a definite routine yet but I don't really check timetable more than a week or so in advance so who knows what the coming weeks will bring lol! The psychology bit is fine it was my first biology lesson that had me running screaming from the room!!

Why?
What was it? Topic?
Reply 151
Original post by anomea
In Norfolk and I'm surrounded by villages, so the nearest hospital with an SLT department is 2 hours away :/

Wow! Nice
I mean villages...
Original post by sylbou
Why?
What was it? Topic?

It was just the fact that it was science which I have not looked at since leaving school 2 years ago rather than the aspects we were talking about
:biggrin:
Original post by anomea

As I said earlier check out some video clips on the computer - and last year UofM website had some useful ones too - don't know if they are still up there (and Manchester do say on their website that they appreciate shadowing etc can be difficult and suggest watching videos as a resource).
Original post by sylbou
Saraw26
Which uni are you at?

Birmingham City Uni :smile:

Nice! :smile: How exciting :h: Oh no, was the biology hard? :tongue:
Original post by saraw26
Birmingham City Uni :smile:

Nice! :smile: How exciting :h: Oh no, was the biology hard? :tongue:

more of a shock than hard - all those big long words! At least you have done biology for the last 2 years so you are prepared Not sure my gcse double science (even though I got A*/A*) will help me very much :biggrin: All adds to the fun!
more of a shock than hard - all those big long words! At least you have done biology for the last 2 years so you are prepared Not sure my gcse double science (even though I got A*/A*) will help me very much :biggrin: All adds to the fun!

levator labii superioris alaegue nasi - longest named muscle in the body :biggrin: What Biology have you do so far? We've done quite a lot :h:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by saraw26
levator labii superioris alaegue nasi - longest named muscle in the body :biggrin: What Biology have you do so far? We've done quite a lot :h:

See showing off with long words :biggrin: We have only had a couple of lessons - it was the first one being an overview of what we will be covering that caused my panic - I have calmed down now lol. Take care xx
Reply 158
Original post by madagascar
Hiya :smile: I'm also doing an access course at the moment. There is a lot of work to do and it isn't easy but i think that by getting through this will set us up really well for uni! Yeah UEA want all distinctions :/ and a lot of others want 30+ distinctions. We'll get there! Where are you applying to?

yh true hope so :smile: I am applying for city London , Birmingham city, man city, and man met.
Original post by anomea

I live in a village in the middle of Northumberland which is the most rural county in England (has about 66% fewer people per square kilometre than Norfolk, to put things into perspective :tongue:). You do not necessarily have to have direct experience with a SLT department. There are lots of charities that are always looking for volunteers (e.g. Stroke Association). Plus I am sure you live relatively close to a first or primary school that might let you volunteer for experience.

Selectors are not oblivious to the difficulties involved but they still expect you to have some experience.

Quick Reply