The Student Room Group

Advice on getting 100UMS on FP1 Edexcel please

Going through every question in the FP1 Edexcel book, also got a massive Oxford "Further Pure Mathematics" book which will do fp1 work from that, also will use parts of sat 2 math 1+2 to help.

That is the prep for it, along with exam solutions.

I work alone.

Then I intend to do the edexcel papers and gold papers.

Aware what gold are.

Also the solomon press papers.

Also intend to do say AQA FP1 past papers if time.

Will this put me in the best possible postition to get 100 in FP1.

Luck is not a factor whatsoever, only hard work, thorough understanding, and determination as well as gud work ethic.

Any advice please, particularly those that accrued 100 in FP1 please.

It is a goal of mine to make FP1 my bitch a feat that I will only be able to achieve when I am at the point of getting 100UMS.

Thank you.

Thomas.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ShadabAhmed
Going through every question in the FP1 Edexcel book, also got a bostock and chandler book which will do fp1 work from that, also will use parts of sat 2 math 1+2 to help.

I work alone.

Aware what gold are.

Luck is not a factor whatsoever, only hard work, thorough understanding, and determination as well as gud work ethic.

It is a goal of mine to make FP1 my bitch a feat that I will only be able to achieve when I at the point of getting 100UMS.

Thank you.

Thomas.

I share the same ambition haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
bump
I got 97 UMS in FP1. Alongside what you're doing make sure you know all the bits that past papers miss. Look at the syllabus and look at everything in the book and when something weird comes up there or in past papers write it down and do loads of broad deep follow up work. I think what got me was that there was a type of question I had forgotten how to do as I hadn't done it since about January. Best of luck
:yy:
Reply 4
I did all that you did and, in the end, got 98 UMS on FP1 (which means I got 74/75). I can't for the life of me think what I got wrong or where I dropped the mark and all I can think of is that I lost a method mark, probably on Proof by Induction. The fact is that no matter how hard you work there's always the possibility of mucking up in the exam by forgetting to do one or another thing, and you can't prepare against that. FP1 is quite an easy module so work hard for it and it'll be fine but don't set all your hopes on 100 because there's always the outside possibility that you might screw up a tiny part in the exam and end up with a high-90s... which is still perfectly okay. I mean, I did absolutely every single revision technique possible for C2 and then forgot to do one thing in the exam and got 99... it's quite annoying but these things happen.
Reply 5
Original post by ahf
I got 97 UMS in FP1. Alongside what you're doing make sure you know all the bits that past papers miss. Look at the syllabus and look at everything in the book and when something weird comes up there or in past papers write it down and do loads of broad deep follow up work. I think what got me was that there was a type of question I had forgotten how to do as I hadn't done it since about January. Best of luck
:yy:

Thank you so much, this is quite insightful, since no-one really tells you that kind of stuff.

In essence should I do everything I stated in the OP as well as what you recommended and find and research the ambiguous question in past papers, and go through the syallabus.

I am doing 9 modules, C3 C4 M1 M2 FP1 FP2 D1 S2 S3, so I really need to max out on FP1.

I am to get C3,M1,FP1 done by the end of November.

But I like FP1, for me its more of a case of me getting full marks on a question, i.e. 10/10 or 3/10 which is quite irritating.

I hadn't thought of that so thanks, in terms of resources have I got everything I should have, slight change in OP. Is there any other book that you would recommend I should get for which I haven't.

Original post by Skitee
I did all that you did and, in the end, got 98 UMS on FP1 (which means I got 74/75). I can't for the life of me think what I got wrong or where I dropped the mark and all I can think of is that I lost a method mark, probably on Proof by Induction. The fact is that no matter how hard you work there's always the possibility of mucking up in the exam by forgetting to do one or another thing, and you can't prepare against that. FP1 is quite an easy module so work hard for it and it'll be fine but don't set all your hopes on 100 because there's always the outside possibility that you might screw up a tiny part in the exam and end up with a high-90s... which is still perfectly okay. I mean, I did absolutely every single revision technique possible for C2 and then forgot to do one thing in the exam and got 99... it's quite annoying but these things happen.

That's comforting :smile:

Oh to both of you I didn't mean to say that anything below 100 is bad. In my eyes a UMS score of over 95 for Edexcel Maths modules etc. is a job well done.

So really nail the induction stuff then, I will make sure I do that.

That's very true, but doing as much as possible will only help.

May I ask you what you would recommend me doing, my plain I outlined in the OP as well as doing lots of proof by induction and making sure that I have a solid understanding, doing all past questions and more etc.

Repped both posts, really helpful and what I was after :smile:
Going through every question in the FP1 Edexcel book, also got a massive Oxford "Further Pure Mathematics" book which will do fp1 work from that, also will use parts of sat 2 math 1+2 to help.

I work alone.

Aware what gold are.

It is a goal of mine to make FP1 my bitch a feat that I will only be able to achieve when I am at the point of getting 100UMS.

Thank you.

Thomas.

I got 100UMS in Edexcel FP1.
My school gave us the Rowland book in which we would be set exercises for homework and I also bought myself the standard FP1 Edexcel textbook, so I worked through both books. I wouldn't say I did every single question, but I did whatever I felt would be worth my while. I think the review exercise questions were pretty good to work on once I felt I had consolidated the topics and the exam was approaching. All I can say is make sure you understand the content and then practice it.
In the actual exam be careful you don't slip up as the difference between me attaining 100 in FP1 and some of my friends achieving high 90s is that they made a careless mistake. Good luck in achieving your 100 in FP1!
Reply 7
May I ask you what you would recommend me doing, my plain I outlined in the OP as well as doing lots of proof by induction and making sure that I have a solid understanding, doing all past questions and more etc.

Repped both posts, really helpful and what I was after :smile:

Proof by Induction, I think that's the easiest place to lose one mark out of the blue (terminology off a bit) so yeah that's important. For me, Gold papers are certainly the best thing because they give you the "weird" and ambiguous questions so you need to get used to it.... and fundamentally really if you reach the point where you're good enough to get 100 UMS (which I expect you'll get to pretty soon) the best thing to recommend is preparing properly for the exam and concentrating properly on the day, I had FP1 straight after S1 and I was more worried about S1 (which I got 100 UMS on) so I don't think I was at 100% concentration level for FP1 which may have cost me.

Thanks. :smile:

I work alone.

Aware what gold are.

Thank you.

Thomas.

I got 97 this year. Got all questions right but didn't simplify on one quest and wrote an area as negative in other one. 73/75. I got 75/75 in pretty much every paper I did. All it comes Down to is don't make silly mistakes and that's it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Skitee

If 100 ums was 70/75 then you didnt get 74/75 did you :biggrin:
Original post by physicsmaths
I got 97 this year. Got all questions right but didn't simplify on one quest and wrote an area as negative in other one. 73/75. I got 75/75 in pretty much every paper I did. All it comes Down to is don't make silly mistakes and that's it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very true, people usually only lose marks on silly mistakes, getting negatives wrong.
Decimal places, typing into calculator wrong.
These mistakes are nothing major, but those can can impede the occurrence of such mistakes are the ones that get 100 ums.
Original post by Zenarthra
Very true, people usually only lose marks on silly mistakes, getting negatives wrong.
Decimal places, typing into calculator wrong.
These mistakes are nothing major, but those can can impede the occurrence of such mistakes are the ones that get 100 ums.

Yes. Practice practice practice is all it cones down to ( under exam conditions!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arkanm
Make sure you have your "+C" stamp handy.

lol

Quick Reply

Latest