The Student Room Group

The Oxford TSA thread - 2015 applicants - 5th Nov 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by philerus
From what I know, the score should be in the 60s after conversions, so yours will usually be high 60s low 70s. This will mean an almost definite interview, assuming your grades/ps/reference etc are decent. What course are you applying to and which college?

That's very good to hear thank you. My last practice test I got a 73. PPE, Merton. Merton was quite random though, I like the buildings and the location, didn't really know what else to decide on. Are you also applying?
Original post by Adriaan
That's very good to hear thank you. My last practice test I got a 73. PPE, Merton. Merton was quite random though, I like the buildings and the location, didn't really know what else to decide on. Are you also applying?

Yeah, I looked at the buildings at Merton and they look fantastic. I am applying to PPE at Brasenose.
Reply 182
Yeah, I looked at the buildings at Merton and they look fantastic. I am applying to PPE at Brasenose.

Ah, Brasenose is great. I visited and really liked the people. Didn't apply though, as I heard that many people end up at a different college because Brasenose is so popular. How is the TSA working out for you?
Reply 183
Well, massive fail. The cheaper book by Mithesh Desai is not available for purchase in my country (via Kindle) and the Ace the TSA book is not available for purchase via Kindle at all, despite Amazon saying that a Kindle version is available.

I've looked at the kindle sample of the cheaper an it looks alright, shame you can't get it. The other one should be available on kindle, not sure why it says otherwise

I'm a Brasenose PPE applicant too btw :thumbsup:
Original post by Adriaan
Ah, Brasenose is great. I visited and really liked the people. Didn't apply though, as I heard that many people end up at a different college because Brasenose is so popular. How is the TSA working out for you?

The TSA is going decently enough, but I will not bring myself to say fine, since its in the mid 60s (but I have only done two official papers so far, since I am planning on doing them during the following week). I hope that will be enough to get me an interview. I am not at all sure about how the essay is going, since I have nothing to compare it with.

I did not know that Brasenose was that popular. Ironically, one of the reasons I applied there was that my other choice of college, St John's, is even more competitive. I'll just hope it goes well and I am not pooled to some distnat college like Worcester ( I hope I have not offended any Worcester applicants here!).
Original post by Askaud
I've looked at the kindle sample of the cheaper an it looks alright, shame you can't get it. The other one should be available on kindle, not sure why it says otherwise

I'm a Brasenose PPE applicant too btw :thumbsup:

Thanks for your help, especially now that we have realised that we are each other's competition! I looked at the sample as well and it seems to me that I can do without it. Its an aptitude test, more than anything else, after all. What prompted you to choose Brasenose, and what other colleges did you consider?
The petrol tank of Jenny's car holds 50 litres of petrol. A warning light comes on when
only 5 litres are left. She always fills it as soon as she can after the warning light comes
on. The car travels 100km on 8 litres of petrol. Last time she put petrol in, which she was
able to do immediately after the light came on, she only had $6 with her so she spent it all
on fuel at 60c per litre. She then drove 50km and saw a new garage offering petrol at 50c
per litre - an offer too good to miss. She filled the tank completely and paid with her credit
card.
How much did it cost?

I am sure the working out is relatively simple...but somehow I can not get to an answer grrrrrrrr
Reply 187
Original post by pinkcherrytart
The petrol tank of Jenny's car holds 50 litres of petrol. A warning light comes on when
only 5 litres are left. She always fills it as soon as she can after the warning light comes
on. The car travels 100km on 8 litres of petrol. Last time she put petrol in, which she was
able to do immediately after the light came on, she only had $6 with her so she spent it all
on fuel at 60c per litre. She then drove 50km and saw a new garage offering petrol at 50c
per litre - an offer too good to miss. She filled the tank completely and paid with her credit
card.
How much did it cost?

I am sure the working out is relatively simple...but somehow I can not get to an answer grrrrrrrr

She put 10 litres in as it was 60c a litre and had $6. Therefore she had 15 litres. She drove for 50km so burnt off 4 litres of fuel, leaving her with 11 litres. Her tank is 50 litres meaning that she fills up with 39 litres. 39x50c is $19.50
Can we please sum up all possibilities for gaining more experience?
Example tests and so on....
Hi guys,

I'm in year 12 and I'm wondering what the best books for tsa practice is..of course its a bit early but I just want to read up whenever i have spare time. what did you guys use? (i know this is probably the wrong thread to do this on but I promise i will leave as soon as i get an answer haha!).

thanks! :smile:))))
Original post by Askaud
Where did you find the 2007 test?

Is 'Think You Can Think' the only book with more practice papers in it? I'm not interested in the theory of it all, I just want to practice more. So far I've only done 2008 and 2009, got 44/50 on both of them which I think is decent enough. I'm really focusing on TSA as my GCSEs are below average for PPE and I'm a post a level applicant so got nothing else to do:biggrin:

An older thread.
Here you go:smile:
Original post by TheArmouredSaint
An older thread.
Here you go:smile:

do you have the answer key?
Original post by milkman94
do you have the answer key?

Nope, that's the only problem.
I'll upload my answers later today.
Original post by TheArmouredSaint
Nope, that's the only problem.
I'll upload my answers later today.

thanks man:smile: I'll look forward to discussing them with you!
B
B
A
C
A
A
B
D
D
C
A
D
16H
B
B
E
12/9/7/5
C
A
D
?
A
B
CARLOS/MACCIO
E
C
E
A
B
B
D
C
C
A
D
C
B
E
A
C
D
A
D
D
C
D
C
A
B

For Q46, the net profit should be (-initial cost of investment + FY1 profit +FY2 profit), which should be -25000+24000+24000= 23000

The options given are
2/46/16k gain 50/2k loss.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 195
@milkman Holes are 3-dimensional.
Original post by ventus
@milkman Holes are 3-dimensional.

ahh i see....

thanks!
The TSA is going decently enough, but I will not bring myself to say fine, since its in the mid 60s (but I have only done two official papers so far, since I am planning on doing them during the following week). I hope that will be enough to get me an interview. I am not at all sure about how the essay is going, since I have nothing to compare it with.

I did not know that Brasenose was that popular. Ironically, one of the reasons I applied there was that my other choice of college, St John's, is even more competitive. I'll just hope it goes well and I am not pooled to some distnat college like Worcester ( I hope I have not offended any Worcester applicants here!).

Worcester is not distant, it's one of the nicest ones and is quite central! I think you're thinking of maybe St. Hughs or St. Catz.
Original post by groovyd97
Worcester is not distant, it's one of the nicest ones and is quite central! I think you're thinking of maybe St. Hughs or St. Catz.

Yep, sorry, my mistake!
Original post by milkman94

For Q46, the net profit should be (-initial cost of investment + FY1 profit +FY2 profit), which should be -25000+24000+24000= 23000

The options given are
2/46/16k gain 50/2k loss.

I'm a bit lazy, sorry. I'll do it after El Clasico :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending