The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LosingDogs
Am I right in thinking you guys are going for grad accounting/finance related jobs with irrelevant degrees (which employers like btw)? If so what a load of ****. There's people like me doing an accounting degree at Russell group, working my ass off doing professional exams and then some Johnny come lately ****ing history graduate takes my job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Feel for you mate. I would have done a school leavers scheme if I was 100% sure I wanted to do accountancy though. Earning good money at 18 and no uni fees. Of course, those schemes are competitive too.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Feel for you mate. I would have done a school leavers scheme if I was 100% sure I wanted to do accountancy though. Earning good money at 18 and no uni fees. Of course, those schemes are competitive too.

Yep applied for KPMG leavers scheme but got rejected. Having said that, although there's a lot of perks it really restricts your development- I.e you're boxed into a certain field. Now I want to go into corporate tax so I'm happy I didn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep applied for KPMG leavers scheme but got rejected. Having said that, although there's a lot of perks it really restricts your development- I.e you're boxed into a certain field. Now I want to go into corporate tax so I'm happy I didn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's true. Which is why I guess University is quite valuable due to the 'transferable skills' point.

I do think that university is not for everybody though.
Heeeeey guys :h:
Original post by jam277
That's true. Which is why I guess University is quite valuable due to the 'transferable skills' point.

I do think that university is not for everybody though.

I agree it isn't but it's been made that you have to by a lot of companies. When applying for a lot of grad jobs, requirements include at least 320 UCAS points and a 2:1 from a top 50 university. Luckily I have both (or hopefully should!) but it's just pathetic ruling really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree it isn't but it's been made that you have to by a lot of companies. When applying for a lot of grad jobs, requirements include at least 320 UCAS points and a 2:1 from a top 50 university. Luckily I have both (or hopefully should!) but it's just pathetic ruling really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup. I don't have a 2:1 but I have good enough UCAS points for grad schemes.

In this day and age you gotta make your way. I just hope I get this job I'm getting an interview for. **** slaving for a 20k job with no progression. Wouldn't mind if I can work my way up after a few years(30-40k more so, only said 100k before because of the industry I'm going into allowing that to happen but if I don't get into it I'm more than happy getting a 30k job after a few years) but if there's no progression then what's the point.
Original post by jam277
Guy probably worked hard for it tbf. Allow being investment banker anyway. As long as I'm on a 100k job in a few years I'll be fine.

Not denying that he may have but I'm sure there are plenty who work just as hard and don't get the same opportunity. If that was him then I'd understand, but it's not, so I don't get where he gets this perspective from.

Anyways I got a few years before I'm at this stage so what would I know

Posted from TSR Mobile
So much accounting and finance In here, where dem engineers at

Posted from TSR Mobile
Accounting is really boring. ZZZZZ.
If you wanna be rich, finance is the field for that. Those who dream about close to £100k outside those fields sorry (bar medics and law). Just the reality.

For engineering you most likely won't hit above £40k in this country. Maybe up to £60 IF you're top dog but you ain't getting more than that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you wanna be rich, finance is the field for that. Those who dream about close to £100k outside those fields sorry (bar medics and law). Just the reality.

For engineering you most likely won't hit above £40k in this country. Maybe up to £60 IF you're top dog but you ain't getting more than that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You will very rarely get rich working for someone else.
Original post by Tom_Ford
You will very rarely get rich working for someone else.

Was just literally about to say this mate. You are very aware of the world I must say, I have met a kindred cynic (or realist to me!) in you!

Always been my plan- make my own business but of course you have to learn the ropes first. Also I have to work for probably 10 years so I can qualify (doing ACA) and get some experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7312
So many armchair experts on employment. Pipe down lads, you probably know nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
So many armchair experts on employment. Pipe down lads, you probably know nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I hope this isn't directed at me considering I've done a placement year so I know how tough it is to find a job and the application process. Also have friends who have graduated who didn't do a year in industry and they are struggling to find a job! Ah the tough world of business. Good afternoon GGMU :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7314
All you wannabe city boys got like no chance unless you're either ridiculously smart, know someone (someone who has the power to give you a job, doubt many do), or got the gift of the gab like nobody else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can always apply to The Apprentice :tongue:
Reply 7316
Well I hope this isn't directed at me considering I've done a placement year so I know how tough it is to find a job and the application process. Also have friends who have graduated who didn't do a year in industry and they are struggling to find a job! Ah the tough world of business. Good afternoon GGMU :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

People candidly talking about earning huge figures in city banks or funds etc. It's a pipe dream for most of them, sad to say. This type of money isn't a reality for most city workers as it is anyway, most are slaves for a really ****ty wage.

That's what I mean. Its really all about contacts unless you've got that leg up (year in industry) which even then isn't liable to bring success.

After watching countless family members go into the city, most of which don't deserve it, contacts are everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
All you wannabe city boys got like no chance unless you're either ridiculously smart, know someone (someone who has the power to give you a job, doubt many do), or got the gift of the gab like nobody else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I seem to have my foot in the door at Grant Thornton. Came to a recent graduate fair at my university, everyone else seemed to ignore apart from me. We had a good chat for maybe 30 minutes which resulted in him giving me his personal email address and phone number. Will definitely pursue this avenue!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Was just literally about to say this mate. You are very aware of the world I must say, I have met a kindred cynic (or realist to me!) in you!

Always been my plan- make my own business but of course you have to learn the ropes first. Also I have to work for probably 10 years so I can qualify (doing ACA) and get some experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup, you have to learn the ropes in an industry first. But then after that I think flying the nest (i.e. the UK) is a good idea, better opportunities abroad/better economies of scale. The UK is really quite unfriendly towards SME's.
Original post by Tom_Ford
Yup, you have to learn the ropes in an industry first. But then after that I think flying the nest (i.e. the UK) is a good idea, better opportunities abroad/better economies of scale. The UK is really quite unfriendly towards SME's.

I would love to go to the U.S, maybe charm some girls with the British accent as well :laugh: have you got anywhere particular in mind?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest