The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 620
Original post by salinkle_
So i know it's slightly early to be starting this thread, but as someone who hasn't applied before and is clueless on the process i was hoping i could get some hints/tips.
I've read up on the basics and understand that it's not something you can jump into so i was wondering how exactly people go preparing for it? I have a standard graduate psychometric book although i understand that E-tray exercises are more fitting?
Any help will be appreciated, and good luck for everyone applying to this years fast streams! :smile:

Psychosometric test books are great but remember you'll be working in various departments so make sure you make sure you are comfortable with policy analytical skills.
Reply 621
Original post by PJ07
Just completed the e-tray - found it challenging not sure if I'll get through but definitely did not like that written exercise - went pretty awful anyone else find the topic's questions much tougher than previous years?

Oh thank goodness it wasn't just me - definitely more tricky than last year's I thought! Fingers crossed!
Just done the e tray and had 2 emails I didn't manage to reply to at the end. Did anyone else have this problem with time? Or anyone who did it last year, didn't finish and were still successful? I'm afraid I've blown it :s-smilie:
Original post by mandamoo92
Just done the e tray and had 2 emails I didn't manage to reply to at the end. Did anyone else have this problem with time? Or anyone who did it last year, didn't finish and were still successful? I'm afraid I've blown it :s-smilie:

Depends how you performed in attempted emails. If someone attempts all the questions but answers incorrectly, no credit is given.

I believe you concentrated on the emails' reply options and spend the time on the background information folders. So, be positive and ready for the next stage. Wish you best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I want to apply to the Generalist stream and the European stream, but have no idea which option to put as 1st preference (EFS Diplomatic Service or European Fast Stream). I don't want it to impact Generalist being my first option and can't figure out what to put. Any tips? Much appreciated!
Just to be clear--if I put Diplomatic Service as my 1st preference and Central Departments as my 2nd then that doesn't affect my chances of success WRT Central Departments at all? I am not yet sure if the former is something I'd like to do but I feel like it might be wise to leave it as my preference in case I decide it is...
Original post by TigerLily727
I want to apply to the Generalist stream and the European stream, but have no idea which option to put as 1st preference (EFS Diplomatic Service or European Fast Stream). I don't want it to impact Generalist being my first option and can't figure out what to put. Any tips? Much appreciated!

Just choose European Fast Stream first, while adding into your applications list, then choose Generalist Fast Stream. I suggest you to add Digital and Technology Fast Stream scheme as third option (if you're eligible).

If, you're successful on the stage 1 that's online selection tests, you would be given an option to choose two from these: Diplomatic Services, Houses of Parliament, Central Departments and Science and technology.

Central Departments are automatically chosen as your second choice. There's no final selection board for Central departments and if you're successful at Fast Stream Assessment Centre you'd be appointed. If you have chosen Houses of Parliament, Diplomatic Services or Science and technology as your first option, you'd be invited to a final selection board. If you're successful at final selection, you'd be appointed accordingly. If you're unsuccessful at final selection then you'd be appointed in any of the Central departments, if you've chosen central departments as your second option.

You can discard the automatic selection for the central departments and chose other two options from three.

Anyone finds error in the information please correct me.

Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 627
Original post by TigerLily727

The ideal European fast streamer is a graduate with a keen interest in the EU, and a desire to be involved in it and contribute personally to its success. We therefore give priority to graduates who put the European Fast Stream as their preferred choice.
From: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-fast-stream-europe/civil-service-european-fast-stream
So you must put EFS first if you want to be considered for it.
The DS part of EFS is an option within that, the info about it is really limited so if anyone knows anything about how it works, please share!

Original post by TritonSails
Just to be clear--if I put Diplomatic Service as my 1st preference and Central Departments as my 2nd then that doesn't affect my chances of success WRT Central Departments at all? I am not yet sure if the former is something I'd like to do but I feel like it might be wise to leave it as my preference in case I decide it is...

Once you get through the online tests, you have the option to choose your preferences within the GFS scheme. HoP and DS are mutually exclusive, and each must be your first choice within the GFS scheme to be considered. CD then becomes your second choice - and if you do not make the cut for HoP or DS at the Final Selection Board or don't have a high enough FSAC score, you will be given a place with CD. Choosing another part of the scheme as first place will not affect your success with CD. As for turning down DS in favour of CD, I would bet that it's never arisen!
Science and Technology would fit in here too, but as I wasn't eligible, I don't really know how that works.

To clarify, my scheme selections are:
1 - EFS (including DS option)
2 - GFS (of which I have selected DS and then CD)

As I understand it, this gives me a chance as each scheme. EFS must be first choice of scheme. And DS option must be your first choice option within the GFS stream. I based this decision on the information that is published directly from Parity and the Civil Service - so I'll be mad if it's wrong!

Anybody who knows any better than me, feel free to contradict!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 628
Sorry that post was looooong....!
Reply 629
Original post by udum
Oh thank goodness it wasn't just me - definitely more tricky than last year's I thought! Fingers crossed!

Also happy I'm not alone then! :smile: - just really struggled to write much for the written exercise - wasn't a problem last time. If I do get through to the FSAC I'd be pretty worried about how that score dragging me down :frown:

Best of luck to you!
You'll have a chance to make up those competencies in other FSAC exercises.
Reply 631
Exactly! Looking at my feedback from last year when I tanked the written task - it doesn't seem to have impacted too much on my score, I did that all by myself on the day! Haha!
Reply 632
don't really understand how to claim back expenses. can you claim back if you haven't spent more than £11 on travel?
Original post by liyana1
don't really understand how to claim back expenses. can you claim back if you haven't spent more than £11 on travel?

They expect you to pay the first £10 towards your expenses. So you can claim if you spend £11 but will only get £1 back.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 634
Is there no-one here that has been invited to a statistics assessment centre?
Original post by Vrstar
Is there no-one here that has been invited to a statistics assessment centre?

Is the stats one before the OR one?
Reply 636
Original post by Slowbro93
Is the stats one before the OR one?

When's the OR one? And I did find out I was unsuccessful for OR like I thought originally anyway...
Original post by Vrstar
When's the OR one? And I did find out I was unsuccessful for OR like I thought originally anyway...

Thursday next week, sorry mate :console:
Reply 638
Original post by Slowbro93
Thursday next week, sorry mate :console:

oh thats soon, my OR is in nov
I'm applying for the Generalist Fast Stream and I'm part way through my online selection tests, but have just realised that the 'competency questionnaire' is actually a marked test! (I got it confused with the situation judgement test which isn't marked).

I haven't prepared for this, and have to take it tomorrow.

Does anyone have any advice of where to find the key competencies for the graduate entry job level? Any advice would be really useful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending