The Student Room Group

Help! C2 textbook maths problem!

Hi I need some help on this question. This is an investigation problem in Differentiation chapter on C2 textbook.

A population of birds on an island, P, is a function of the number of predators,x.
The population follows the equation P= x^3 -12x^2 -60x +850 where x >0

Sketch the graph of this function and discuss the shape of the curve and its behaviour as x tends to be infinity.
How can you explain this.

Thanks a lot!!!
Reply 1
Original post by pepperzealot
Hi I need some help on this question. This is an investigation problem in Differentiation chapter on C2 textbook.

A population of birds on an island, P, is a function of the number of predators,x.

Sketch the graph of this function and discuss the shape of the curve and its behaviour as x tends to be infinity.

Thanks a lot!!!

Well it's a cubic graph, so you just sketch it how you normally would, except in this case you need t pay attention to the domain.

Thanks a lot!!!

Have you sketched?
Reply 3
Original post by TenOfThem
Have you sketched?

Yes.
Yes.

So, where are you having difficulties?
Reply 5
Original post by lerjj
Well it's a cubic graph, so you just sketch it how you normally would, except in this case you need t pay attention to the domain.

Thanks.
But I am confused about what is the behaviour as x tends to infinity? and how to explain it? I think it is just a cubic graph why does the question emphasize “infinity”.
Reply 6
So, where are you having difficulties?

Thank you!

I am confused about what is the behaviour as x tends to infinity? and how to explain it? I think it is just a cubic graph why does the question emphasize “infinity”.
Thanks.
But I am confused about what is the behaviour as x tends to infinity? and how to explain it? I think it is just a cubic graph why does the question emphasize “infinity”.

What happens to the graph as x tends to infinity?
Reply 8

Increases??
Reply 9

y becomes bigger?
y becomes bigger?

and tends to ...
and tends to ...

oooo

P becomes bigger and tends to be infinity??

Thank you very much!! !!!!!

So for the explanation

can I just say there is no turning point after x=10, hence the graph will increase all the time?
oooo

P becomes bigger and tends to be infinity??

Thank you very much!! !!!!!

So for the explanation

can I just say there is no turning point after x=10, hence the graph will increase all the time?

I would describe the turning point at x=10 and the ^^
I would describe the turning point at x=10 and the ^^

Thanks a lot!! I got it~ :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest