The Student Room Group

University of Malta Medicine 2015

Is anyone here applying for UoM for Medicine starting 2015? :smile: I'm a Maltese student myself and I'll hopefully be starting Medicine next year, so I thought it would be a good idea to group any potential non-Maltese (and Maltese) students who are thinking about applying for the course as well. :redface:

I've attended pretty much all the UoM meetings so if anyone has any questions, I'll definitely try my best to answer them. :smile:

I look forward to hearing from you :cute:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi there, I was thinkin of applying there just in case things go badly with my application. What is the deadline for application? And when I contacted the university they said they wanted an AS in a language, but would it be the same case for achieved A levels.
I've recently looked into Malta and the more I do so, the more I want to study there!
A beautiful place with lots of history, a medicine course on offer which is a dream I wish to pursue yet I didn't take a language as I believed Science / Maths based subjects would be more appropriate. It's a shame because I'd love to study medicine over there yet my lack of language qualification at AS will block that for me.
Anyhow I hope to achieve AAA in maths, chem and biology so there are always options open in other areas :smile: (Took history to AS and dropped it for A2, got a C overall in that).
Original post by Rishy
Hi there, I was thinkin of applying there just in case things go badly with my application. What is the deadline for application? And when I contacted the university they said they wanted an AS in a language, but would it be the same case for achieved A levels.

I believe March is the deadline but you can find it on the Medicine prospectus on UoM's website. :smile: And yes they'll require you to take up a language (as they do here), as well as the Medical Maltese Proficiency Certificate from 2015 onwards which is an exam set by the University. I'm not too sure about what the exam consists of but I believe you'll be asked to study some terminology and basic grammar sufficient enough to help you with your work at the Maltese hospital later on. :smile:
Original post by TomRais27
I've recently looked into Malta and the more I do so, the more I want to study there!
A beautiful place with lots of history, a medicine course on offer which is a dream I wish to pursue yet I didn't take a language as I believed Science / Maths based subjects would be more appropriate. It's a shame because I'd love to study medicine over there yet my lack of language qualification at AS will block that for me.
Anyhow I hope to achieve AAA in maths, chem and biology so there are always options open in other areas :smile: (Took history to AS and dropped it for A2, got a C overall in that).

Argh the language is always the problem! I took up English as my language; although I'm quite happy with the language, I felt like it had nothing to do with my science subjects and tbh it did feel like a bit of a waste of time but I guess nothing goes to waste in the end.

I have chem, biology, physics, philosophy and english. I need to get three As (in terms of UK grades) in Bio, Chem and one of phil/physics and a pass in the other two :smile:
Original post by TheStoryteller
Argh the language is always the problem! I took up English as my language; although I'm quite happy with the language, I felt like it had nothing to do with my science subjects and tbh it did feel like a bit of a waste of time but I guess nothing goes to waste in the end.

I have chem, biology, physics, philosophy and english. I need to get three As (in terms of UK grades) in Bio, Chem and one of phil/physics and a pass in the other two :smile:

Best of luck with those grades, I may reconsider the options as a post grad and apply for the regular undergrad course then using a BSc :smile:
Reply 6
Hello thestoryteller,
I am thinking of applying to the UoM for 2015 entry. I AAB at A-level As in French and Biology and B in Chemistry but 2 ums marks from A..
For AS i have an A in Maths and a B in Philosophy and Ethics

As you can see I meet all the requirements except that I didn't get that A in Chemistry.. but only 2 marks off A :frown:.. I have also done a LOT of work experience..

Do you think the UoM could possibly consider me?
Original post by s.v
Hello thestoryteller,
I am thinking of applying to the UoM for 2015 entry. I AAB at A-level As in French and Biology and B in Chemistry but 2 ums marks from A..
For AS i have an A in Maths and a B in Philosophy and Ethics

As you can see I meet all the requirements except that I didn't get that A in Chemistry.. but only 2 marks off A :frown:.. I have also done a LOT of work experience..

Do you think the UoM could possibly consider me?

I feel like they will definitely consider you! They usually ask people who were close to getting the grades to take an exam or two set by the University to make sure they are eligible for the course. I believe you can also retake the chem module which could up your grade since they do except retakes here. Best of luck :smile:
Hi

i will be graduating from biomedical sciences this year and was thinking of appling to medicine in UOM as a graduate. apart from getting a 1st or a 2:1 are there any entry requirements they ask for? is there a inetrvirew process or is the application all online through the portal on their website? and are there any other graduates from the uk that have applied or are applying this year ? also what is the Medical Maltese Proficiency Certificate and when do we do the exams for that ?

thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by Samohamoud1
Hi

i will be graduating from biomedical sciences this year and was thinking of appling to medicine in UOM as a graduate. apart from getting a 1st or a 2:1 are there any entry requirements they ask for? is there a inetrvirew process or is the application all online through the portal on their website? and are there any other graduates from the uk that have applied or are applying this year ? also what is the Medical Maltese Proficiency Certificate and when do we do the exams for that ?

thanks in advance :smile:

I believe the 1st or 2:1 will be sufficient for entry into the programme but if for some reason they feel it's not enough then they will ask you to take some exams but it depends on the board's decision. There are usually quite a lot of graduates from the UK and from other countries (mostly European since it's free) so you won't be alone for sure :smile:

As for the Medical Maltese Proficiency Certificate exam, I'm not quite sure what it entails but I'm assuming it would be similar to my Maltese SEC (GCSE-equivalent) exam since it's what they require from you, but based on medical terminology. It's all very vague on their website so I'm afraid you'll have to call up the uni/send them an email :redface:

Hope this helped :h:
I believe the 1st or 2:1 will be sufficient for entry into the programme but if for some reason they feel it's not enough then they will ask you to take some exams but it depends on the board's decision. There are usually quite a lot of graduates from the UK and from other countries (mostly European since it's free) so you won't be alone for sure :smile:

As for the Medical Maltese Proficiency Certificate exam, I'm not quite sure what it entails but I'm assuming it would be similar to my Maltese SEC (GCSE-equivalent) exam since it's what they require from you, but based on medical terminology. It's all very vague on their website so I'm afraid you'll have to call up the uni/send them an email :redface:

Hope this helped :h:

Thank you for being so helpful, so does everyone that is not Maltese have to take the MMPC exams ? Also do you know what term dates are like ie how many holiday breaks during the academic year ?

Thanks again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for being so helpful, so does everyone that is not Maltese have to take the MMPC exams ? Also do you know what term dates are like ie how many holiday breaks during the academic year ?

Thanks again

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unless you have the SEC Maltese exam then unfortunately yes.

As for term dates, this year they started around the 6th October (meetings are usually held the week before) and lectures run every week till around the 19th December except for the 8th and the 13th December which are public holidays here. As for the second term, they usually start around the 6th January and lectures continue till the week before Easter save for the 10th February which is also a public holiday. The last term starts a week after Easter Sunday and runs through till the exams start, with the 31st March, 1st May and 7th June all being public holidays (no lectures/exams on these dates) :redface:
Unless you have the SEC Maltese exam then unfortunately yes.

As for term dates, this year they started around the 6th October (meetings are usually held the week before) and lectures run every week till around the 19th December except for the 8th and the 13th December which are public holidays here. As for the second term, they usually start around the 6th January and lectures continue till the week before Easter save for the 10th February which is also a public holiday. The last term starts a week after Easter Sunday and runs through till the exams start, with the 31st March, 1st May and 7th June all being public holidays (no lectures/exams on these dates) :redface:

Thanks for your reply,
So when do we sit the exam and what does it contain? And term dates sound great so the summer holidays is from mid June till October?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for your reply,
So when do we sit the exam and what does it contain? And term dates sound great so the summer holidays is from mid June till October?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe it's anything between May and September (for the exam), as for the content I'm afraid I don't really have a clue :s-smilie:

And yes pecisely, summer usually starts around mid-June and you'll have around 3 months and a half :smile:
I believe it's anything between May and September (for the exam), as for the content I'm afraid I don't really have a clue :s-smilie:

And yes pecisely, summer usually starts around mid-June and you'll have around 3 months and a half :smile:

Okay thanks for you help I'll try calling up the uni to get more info on the exam. I will be able to find the contact no. on their website right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay thanks for you help I'll try calling up the uni to get more info on the exam. I will be able to find the contact no. on their website right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem at all, and yes I'd suggest calling the Admissions or the Faculty of Medicine but from experience the Admissions department seem to be more helpful. Best of luck :redface:
Can I ask if you have to pay to apply? Their website is really badly designed and can't work out how to make an application?
Original post by JamesManc
Can I ask if you have to pay to apply? Their website is really badly designed and can't work out how to make an application?

Hey from reading previous threads I understand that we apply through a online portal and there is a application fee I think it my be around 90 euros ? But don't take my word for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey from reading previous threads I understand that we apply through a online portal and there is a application fee I think it my be around 90 euros ? But don't take my word for it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I'd like to apply but cannot justify spending 90 euros at the mmoment. I'll see what my UK choices say back and if I fail then consider Malta. Considering Eastern Europe/Italy too if UK fails
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JamesManc
Thanks, I'd like to apply but cannot justify spending 90 euros at the mmoment. I'll see what my UK choices say back and if I fail then consider Malta. Considering Eastern Europe/Italy too if UK fails

I just confirmed the application cost and its 95 euros for graduates and 25 euros for undergraduates

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending