The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

I didn't think Doctor Who could get any lower than Kill the Moon, but it succeeded. That was one of the worst episodes ever. On a scale with Love & Monsters and Fear Her in series 2. Jesus :facepalm:
Mediocre overall. These kids need to be done away with. They add nothing to the programme, and they're just terrible characters. Clara was poor. It's a shame, I actually liked Clara but she's beginning to get annoying by trying to make everything about her. The episode had no real danger in it (Apart from the tiger, but anyone above the age of 5 would not be scared by that). Definitely felt like a CBBC programme.

The finale looks semi decent, but poor compared to previous ones. It's good to see the Cybermen making a comeback but I hope Moffat doesn't completely butcher them.

Original post by Aula
I noticed it because I'd been wondering the same thing :mmm:

I think I quite liked that episode, it was a little heavy on the "don't cut down the forests" thing though. On a similar level to the "don't do drugs" episode of the 9th doctor (the one where the whole upper planet died from using 'bliss').

I hope we actually get some answers about Missy next week, although I'm concerned from the trailer that it could be absolutely terrible... :erm:

10th Doctor. :tongue:
I'm looking forward to finally figuring out who Clara is next week

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4043
Original post by Kool_Panda
10th Doctor. :tongue:

*googles* How bizzare, I could have sworn it was an Ecclestone episode :holmes:
Anybody got next weeks trailer... Cybers. :smile:
Original post by Rakas21
Anybody got next weeks trailer... Cybers. :smile:

I'm more interested in the dialogue they showed....

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know what I just watched except that the writer of the episode needs to redo his Science GCSE. The episode was a joke a much joke than the conclusion of Kill the Moon because trees can't just grow themselves they need water,sunlight,carbon dioxide and the amount of those and temperature determine how much trees grow not whether there is a big catastrophe coming that needs trees to protect the Earth from it if that where true big forests would be growing to counteract the effects of global warming.I think this episode was so bad that it was humiliating and embarrassing for Doctor Who and its hard to believe anyone wouldn't have seen the script and just ripped it up and thrown it in the bin, how can Moffat think that sort of script is acceptable?Its as if the writer was on drugs or something.

They even had speaking trees and rubbish like that when scientists have shown plants don't even have a nervous system so can't be conscious.Sci-Fis should be about exploring improbable but still theoretically realistic possibilities, those which seem ridiculous can be shown by having them come from another planet but not from Earth as scientists have observed Earth enough to know the basic rules or at least I hope.This wasn't a CBBC episode though because a lot of CBBC episodes are actually very good and mature with excellent conclusions(think Wizards vs Aliens,M.I.High,Wolfblood) I think it was more like a CBeebies episode "Lets come and play with the nice trees that magically grow to save us".

It was also a very disturbing episode at time because it was implied that children who have lost their parents shouldn't want to live without them and Clara attempts to commit suicide by not going with the Doctor, I don't know what all that was about but any sensible writer would have wrote the episode with The Doctor trying to rescue every person on Earth, until He realises that the trees will save the day.

Also, people can't just come back from the dead even if a child has a thought sorry but this writer doesn't seem to live in reality.

This series has been extremely hit and miss it has had some of the worst episodes I have ever seen like Listen,The Caretaker and The Forest of the Night and some of the best like Mummy on the Orient Express and Flatline.I think Doctor Who needs to learn more from shows like Wizards vs Aliens(which has never had a bad episode yet) and Once Upon a Time(which is much more consistent in episode quality).All three of those episodes are worse than Fear Her and Love and Monsters.

I think Moffat is straying to much away from standard episodes and needs to keep episodes much more regular and less unusual maybe do something different once a series not 10 times a series as it doesn't always pay off.Virtually every episode should fit this briefing "The Doctor and his companion travel through time in space to "insert destination" where they find an evil alien/monster plot/attempt to destroy "insert species/organisation etc", where the alien threat takes up the majority of the episode(unlike The Caretaker) and character development is done only in line with the alien threat.Both Listen and The Forest of the Night fail so much to meet this briefing failing to even have any real danger other than fear/ some tigers thus can't really be classed as Doctor Who.

I hate it when the aliens turn out good or humans are the enemy fortunately Mummy had the evil Gus so the Foretold turning out nice didn't matter that much as He was only Gus' puppet really, that's what I liked about Jamie Mathieson's episodes they stuck to the general Doctor Who formula so well and introduced really nasty aliens/foes like Gus and the 2D monsters and were really exciting.

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Nichrome
I didn't think Doctor Who could get any lower than Kill the Moon, but it succeeded. That was one of the worst episodes ever. On a scale with Love & Monsters and Fear Her in series 2. Jesus :facepalm:

Hi Nichrome! :hi:
Well that was just terrible.
I finished watching it a few minutes ago, my god it has to be the worst episode in the modern iterations history. Clara is an awful companion. In fact, this series has been nothing to do with Doctor Who. It's just been documenting Clara during that time of month. Hate Danny too, he's a very cheap Mickey but has had nowhere near the character development, he's just been thrown into the mix. The kids :angry: They aren't funny, cute or even important to the plot, they're just a bunch of socially impaired ***** who've been shoved on camera. Then the cheap little reveal of the sister at the end, I sicked in my mouth.
Original post by Dalek1099
I don't know what I just watched except that the writer of the episode needs to redo his Science GCSE. The episode was a joke a much joke than the conclusion of Kill the Moon because trees can't just grow themselves they need water,sunlight,carbon dioxide and the amount of those and temperature determine how much trees grow not whether there is a big catastrophe coming that needs trees to protect the Earth from it if that where true big forests would be growing to counteract the effects of global warming.I think this episode was so bad that it was humiliating and embarrassing for Doctor Who and its hard to believe anyone wouldn't have seen the script and just ripped it up and thrown it in the bin, how can Moffat think that sort of script is acceptable?Its as if the writer was on drugs or something.They even had speaking trees and rubbish like that when scientists have shown plants don't even have a nervous system so can't be conscious.Sci-Fis should be about exploring improbable but still theoretically realistic possibilities, those which seem ridiculous can be shown by having them come from another planet but not from Earth as scientists have observed Earth enough to know the basic rules or at least I hope.This wasn't a CBBC episode though because a lot of CBBC episodes are actually very good and mature with excellent conclusions(think Wizards vs Aliens,M.I.High,Wolfblood) I think it was more like a CBeebies episode "Lets come and play with the nice trees that magically grow to save us".It was also a very disturbing episode at time because it was implied that children who have lost their parents shouldn't want to live without them and Clara attempts to commit suicide by not going with the Doctor, I don't know what all that was about but any sensible writer would have wrote the episode with The Doctor trying to rescue every person on Earth, until He realises that the trees will save the day.

Riiiiiight...

I'm just going to assume you're about 10 years old.
Riiiiiight...

I'm 18 actually.What made you think I was 10?
....i wish the bbc would cut the hippie crap already.
This series started off so well but it's slipped back into drab crap.
Original post by Dalek1099
I'm 18 actually.What made you think I was 10?

Just the way your post was constructed and the fact that you watch CBBC programmes.
I thought that was ok, but I can't say any more than that though. And while I agree that that was a very childish episode, I would like to remind you all that this is supposed to be a children's show :p: Some episodes have been less child-friendly than others, but we can't complain too much when there's one that's more for the intended audience than for us :p:

I am looking forward to next time. I want to know how the storyline that's been hinted at all season will come to the fore. There are two episodes to go so I doubt we will get an conclusions next week, but we might get more information at least...
Riiiiiight...

I find it best not to engage, usually. That post was actually more coherent than they sometimes are, believe it or not...!
Have to agree that was a pretty rubbish episode for Doctor Who, more a mix of CBBC and romantic drama where the doctor does nothing essentially.

Not bad on the scale of the Rings of Akkaten but just not doctor who.

Also hate bringing in kids and the love interest, how hard is it to ask for series 2 and 4, no other crap but a cameo, focus on the storyline. Fires of Pompeii being a great example... "Man from Gallifrey, she is returning", something to make you think. A paradox. Series 3 (though i hated Martha) and 4 were great for the story.
Original post by Andy98
The annoying thing is that I thought Capaldi would bring us back to the old style. I mean I do like his personality as the Doctor.... But it just hasn't felt like doctor who since Tennant at the latest. They're just making it sillier

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not a fan of Capaldi tbh. He is quirky though.
Original post by Feefifofum
I thought that was ok, but I can't say any more than that though. And while I agree that that was a very childish episode, I would like to remind you all that this is supposed to be a children's show :p: Some episodes have been less child-friendly than others, but we can't complain too much when there's one that's more for the intended audience than for us :p:

no, it's not, it's a family show, if it was a kids show it would air at 5pm on a weekday not 8pm on a Saturday...the whole point has always been that it seeks to appeal to both younger & older viewers, it's perfectly possible to make episodes that are good but appeal to people of all ages, heck that's why the show is so popular, because it's done just that, but last night's was where it goes wrong, it was solely about pandering to the youngest viewers only at the expense of any other audience.
family is code for kids

Quick Reply

Latest