The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
The main thing is that after 9 games and missing our two stand out players from last season, we're not miles off the pace (for finishing top 4 and in our CL group).

It's not like we've had an easy start to the season. We've only really got Chelsea and Man Utd from the top teams left to play.

And Arsenal (which is straight after United).
The main thing is that after 9 games and missing our two stand out players from last season, we're not miles off the pace (for finishing top 4 and in our CL group).

It's not like we've had an easy start to the season. We've only really got Chelsea and Man Utd from the top teams left to play.

True, we haven't even got out of first gear yet, so still being on pace is a godsend. But then neither have Arsenal. And you'd expect United to only get better but tomorrow will be a good indication of whereabouts they are.
Reply 4462
Original post by Shady's back
He missed chances against West Ham and Villa both. It's more than just that - it's that Sturridge has an incredibly positive effect on our build up play whereas Balotelli is not only a passenger, but he's an outright detriment. He breaks down almost every attack.

So with Sturridge in the team, we'd both finish off more chances and we'd create more. He might even improve Balotelli's performance. We've been average in some games and poor in some games. But we also haven't got the goals that our pressure has deserved. On the basis of the last 25 minutes, no-one could begrudge us a win today, we also deserved the points against Everton (where Balo missed a few easy chances) and Villa (again Balo, not the sole culprit I guess but one of them). I'd also have bet that with Sturridge in the team, we'd have made it from 2-1 down to 3-2 up against West Ham, but that's not really the point. We've dropped points in 5 games, three of them can be put directly at the play/**** finishing of Balotelli. Another was against the champions and another is a close one to call. Sturridge is both as good as we say he is, and is good enough to take Balo's place in the team and fire us to the top four.

What is the most annoying thing about today is that Coutinho came on last week and won us the game, then in midweek he was one of only two players that looked good against Madrid, and he didn't play the game. But Rodgers thought it right to play Lallana and Sterling, both who didn't have that extra energy/spark today, instead of him. And Joe Allen, for ****'s sake. Very, very poor management to keep Coutinho out of the team.

I pretty much agree with this, but you have kinda been getting a lot of last minute winners in recent weeks. Can't rely on that EVERY game. Coutinho should have started and you shouldn't have been chasing 0-0 at 75 mins.

Lambert must be pretty sad with Balo starting over him.
Reply 4463
Original post by Deshi
True, we haven't even got out of first gear yet, so still being on pace is a godsend. But then neither have Arsenal. And you'd expect United to only get better but tomorrow will be a good indication of whereabouts they are.

Can't see us winning tomorrow. Not sure if LVG knows what defensive training is. It's strange, because our defenders individually are better than the dutch but they did ok...

He also has a fixation with RVP who starts every game despite being totally ****/tired.
Original post by sr90
Look on the bright side, Liverpool finally kept a clean sheet.

Original post by samir12
Only because Hull settled for a goalless draw and weren't really arsed to play.

what samir said.
hull weren't really a threat at all - they had sparks and half chances as any team would; mignolet made a few saves but they were all straight at him.

i think if hull went out to attack we would've won.
we probably wouldn't have kept a clean sheet but (like arsenal last week) we found it so tough to get past their bus.
i don't blame them tbh; their annoying tactics worked and they've come away from successive games at the emirates and anfield with 2 points which is freaking amazing.

Original post by samba
I pretty much agree with this, but you have kinda been getting a lot of last minute winners in recent weeks. Can't rely on that EVERY game. Coutinho should have started and you shouldn't have been chasing 0-0 at 75 mins.

to be fair, we were extremely lucky with a late winner to beat QPR, but other than the Ludogorets match i don't think we've scored many late winners.
arsenal are pissing me off doing it though - obviously i give credit to them for playing right until the very end but it's so bloody annoying :frown:

i'm probably more annoyed than Lambert himself that some incompetent fool is constantly starting matches ahead of him.
Shady's Back is the worst poster on the thread. Deluded level 1000.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The level of emphasis placed on Balotelli is getting ridiculous. BBC's headline: "Balotelli frustrated as Liverpool held by Hull".
Haha you actually think Kroos might have picked Liverpool over Real Madrid/staying at Bayern Munich?

There are plenty of conversations in football and no doubt someone spoke to his agent and heard he wasn't interested or we heard his wage demands and didn't follow up.

Wtf? The contract situation makes every difference. If a player only has 1 year left on his contract and can leave on a free the following summer, his value dramatically drops compared to a player who still has 3+ years to run.

If Kroos still had 2-5 years left on his contract, Bayern wouldn't have sold unless it was 30-40mil+

You are getting ridiculous. For a team who is pursuing a highly valued player his contract situation hardly holds any water as long as it's confirmed he will be leaving in the upcoming transfer window.

Either I didn't explain substantively in my previous post or you are going off a tangent... tbh...I really don't care.
Original post by Fizzel
Thought you guys would be inoculated from frustration with team selection after Rafa and his rotation.

Liverpool fans forget this because they have a cult following of him and Queen Jenny due to their past glories.

He was a frustrating manager with his team selections and his substitutions were terrible :rolleyes:

Good at parking a bus though. Fitted Chelsea for big games.
Jam deserves to be banned for the amount of crap he talks :biggrin:

Jesus wept!
Bubzeh likes that fat spanish cawk.

Benitez at your service.
Original post by jam277
Liverpool fans forget this because they have a cult following of him and Queen Jenny due to their past glories.

He was a frustrating manager with his team selections and his substitutions were terrible :rolleyes:

Good at parking a bus though. Fitted Chelsea for big games.

Yeah it's not as if he won the Champions League, the FA Cup, then took us to another Champions League final and built our best team in years. He might have rotated but he tended to get results. It's the same when people bring up zonal marking and try and use it as a stick to beat him with, even though we were consistently in the top 2/3 in terms of least goals conceded.
Rafa's rotation was a myth anyway lol, Ferguson rotated more than Rafa and that's a PHACT

Jam is just being retarded as usual
Original post by Deshi

We'll get absolutely thrashed.

Original post by samba
Can't see us winning tomorrow. Not sure if LVG knows what defensive training is. It's strange, because our defenders individually are better than the dutch but they did ok...

He also has a fixation with RVP who starts every game despite being totally ****/tired.

The Dutch defenders could actually stay fit. What do you expect to happen when our back 4 changes every game?
Original post by Deshi
We've also got points we didn't deserve, against QPR and Soton.

It's harsh to criticise him for every miss, the sitters yes but as soon as you start blaming him for missing every odd chance you're into that scapegoat territory. Sturridge isn't some infallible striker, you have that game against Arsenal in the FA Cup last year here he missed around 3/4 sitters? And in games where he'd have an off game Suarez would step up, we won;t have that anymore.

Goals have dried up all over the shop. We were scoring from so many set-pieces last year but that's not happening anymore. When talking about goal threats the onus is on the striker which is why Balo should take the most blame, but everyone bar Sterling hasn't been good enough in that aspect.

There was a quote somewhere iirc before the season started about replacing Suarez's goals with more then one player chipping in and it just hasn't happened.

Perplexed that he didn't start, we were at home to Hull and he played it way too safe.

Rodger's knew what he was buying with Balotelli and it's pretty much exactly what we got. I've been bloody disappointed with Balo this season but Rodger's comes in at a close second.

Big teams, in general, tend to get more points than they 'deserve'. That's where quality, in goal scoring, comes through.

He's missed more than just sitters. His finishing has been outright atrocious. What the stats don't show is where he just hasn't even connected with headers that could be sitters, I remember three off Moreno crosses off the top of my head and there's more.

Yeah, Sturridge isn't infallible. No striker is. But Sturridge would have scored 10 in the same stretch as Balo currently, no doubt about it though. It's not just goals that he offers and everyone knows that. He's a genuine creative presence. Last season his instructions were to stay on the last defender and he did that to aplomb, but he's always, always talked about himself as being a creator and scorer both and it shows, he plays like a true 9.5 when he's the lone striker. He is such an upgrade on Balotelli it's unbelievable.

Yeah, the loss of set piece goals is one that we haven't adjusted to. Something like 26 last year, safe to say we got a bit lucky. Can't believe the number of outrageously well timed set piece goals we actually got last year. The start at Arsenal, Skrtel to go two up against City, first few minutes against Chelsea away etc. They were like a bonus and we're suffering without them, no doubt.

I think the other players haven't been brilliant, but if they had a better striker up front, their performances and their figures both would be much, much better. One player can change a team, especially when it's the lone striker.

Rodgers has some blame, but not loads. You back players who aren't performing, you don't just ditch them. Rodgers has said many times that Balo has been working very hard in training and he's definitely more 'talented' than Rickie is. I can't blame him for persisting with Balotelli because Lambert has looked awful, but today Rickie looked excellent and I have no doubt that he'll start the next league match. Maybe start in the Bernabeu, ****ing hell
Original post by samba

Only against QPR in the league?

Lambert was poor really until today, he'll get his chance now
Original post by Deshi
Yeah it's not as if he won the Champions League, the FA Cup, then took us to another Champions League final and built our best team in years. He might have rotated but he tended to get results. It's the same when people bring up zonal marking and try and use it as a stick to beat him with, even though we were consistently in the top 2/3 in terms of least goals conceded.

So essentially you proved my first sentence that people judged him on his past glories. :rolleyes:
Original post by Shady's back
Only against QPR in the league?

Lambert was poor really until today, he'll get his chance now

I disagree - for the limited opportunity that he's been given for our club, Lambert has done pretty damn well.
Admittedly he was disappointing in the Middlesbrough game where he got a full match but I do feel a little annoyed that Lambert has been given so little gametime whereas Balotelli has been given constant "second" chances.

When you consider the age and the money spent on him, I think we got a really good deal.
Then again I obviously have my own bias towards that player.
Lucio constantly gassing cos he's watched Lambert from league 2, mentions it on TSR at least 3 times a day. Stop gassing bruv.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LosingDogs
Lúcio constantly gassing cos he's watched Lambert from league 2, mentions it on TSR at least 3 times a day. Stop gassing bruv.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yep 3 times per day, spot on:yy:
care to tell me where in the above post that i mentioned "watching him from league 2"?

still feeling the butthurt? :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest