The Student Room Group

The Somali Society Mk III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chukkeigh
Heeeyyy, alles goed?

I have seen that in the shop en mijn broeder said to me that i should get it! I had no idea that it could be reverted to windows 7! that makes it so much more appealing, I was a bit dissapointed with the RAM since a couple of HP were 8GB and for a less price also, but like i said before the hinges seem like they were gonna snap any second.

Dankje wel!

Hey, sorry to interrupt your conversation. But I bought asus notebook a couple of years ago and tbh it is crap. Personally, I don't like it, it is slow and I bought it from PC world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Secretnerd123
If you don't mind me asking, how did you go about getting it? Im so in need of a p/t job wallahi! :frown:

Yeaah same. I'm quite behind on the work so want to catch up in reading week i'A

Well the online assessment was a breeze and once you pass it you choose what time your want to attend your interview. Then once you get there, you have to do a role playing activity and if you pass that, you're practically through, you just do a one2one with the manager to sort out the formalities such as availability and such.

Have you been doing proper notes after lectures from the start? And do you use the library to revise much? I think I still have quite a few lectures during reading week sadly.
Original post by mahad1912
Well the online assessment was a breeze and once you pass it you choose what time your want to attend your interview. Then once you get there, you have to do a role playing activity and if you pass that, you're practically through, you just do a one2one with the manager to sort out the formalities such as availability and such.

Have you been doing proper notes after lectures from the start? And do you use the library to revise much? I think I still have quite a few lectures during reading week sadly.

Oh ok :O

Nope, I've actually done no notes outside lectures which is crazy but its been overwhelming and ive been procrastinating alot :tongue:

Yeah im always in the library to do coursework and stuff. I love the silent area in particular
Original post by brown shuga
Hey, sorry to interrupt your conversation. But I bought asus notebook a couple of years ago and tbh it is crap. Personally, I don't like it, it is slow and I bought it from PC world.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't be sorry! I don't think the one he recommend was a notebook, but I don't really know the asus brand, I personally know HP is decent. But thanks for your input!
Oh ok :O

Nope, I've actually done no notes outside lectures which is crazy but its been overwhelming and ive been procrastinating alot :tongue:

Yeah im always in the library to do coursework and stuff. I love the silent area in particular

Mee neither. I just have one book with so much notes from all my lectures its crazy. I'm in there a lot too to do assignments and a bit of reading around lecture topics. I've probably seen you but wouldn't have known it was you lool.
Don't be sorry! I don't think the one he recommend was a notebook, but I don't really know the asus brand, I personally know HP is decent. But thanks for your input!

Do you think macbooks are worth it? Was thinking of getting one around dec-jan

In my honest opinion, I don't think so, but then again I am no expert.

Hmmm...
I'm an owner of such machine.
The question of is it worth it depends on what you are looking to get out of your machine.

For movies, editing, no anti viruses, virtually no crashes and BSDs, virtually no load times and super fast solid state HDDs, sleek look, battery life you get 6-8 hours, apps, having windows and mac operating systems on one machine then yes they are worth it.

But if you are looking for graphic intensive applications (mostly gaming, macs can handle your average aftereffects and photoshop user and even cinema 4d rendering), overpricing they like to charge a lot for it, new to mac os, extortionate extended warranty (the sods want another £300-£400 for extended 3 year warranty on top of the 1000-2000 you pay)

So it depends on what you are looking for.
For a normal student who just wants an everyday laptop its not worth it.
For a dedicated editor/graphics person someone who wants both a windows and a mac world then yes.
Bare in mind you can also have mac os on a windows machine ala hackintosh.
Geek mode over/:colone:
Mee neither. I just have one book with so much notes from all my lectures its crazy. I'm in there a lot too to do assignments and a bit of reading around lecture topics. I've probably seen you but wouldn't have known it was you lool.

I dont see many somali guys at uni tbh lool. I think ive seen like 3/4 since the start of term! There are way more south asians than somalis at our uni :tongue:
2 interviews this week.

One for a summer internship in Risk and the other an AC for ICAP Global Broking.

Need to get up to speed to the forex market conversions.. stress after stress :K:

Good news: I got interviewed and accepted to be on the board of directors for the accounting & finance society :biggrin:
Original post by Al-farhan
Hmmm...
I'm an owner of such machine.
The question of is it worth it depends on what you are looking to get out of your machine.

For movies, editing, no anti viruses, virtually no crashes and BSDs, virtually no load times and super fast solid state HDDs, sleek look, battery life you get 6-8 hours, apps, having windows and mac operating systems on one machine then yes they are worth it.

But if you are looking for graphic intensive applications (mostly gaming, macs can handle your average aftereffects and photoshop user and even cinema 4d rendering), overpricing they like to charge a lot for it, new to mac os, extortionate extended warranty (the sods want another £300-£400 for extended 3 year warranty on top of the 1000-2000 you pay)

So it depends on what you are looking for.
For a normal student who just wants an everyday laptop its not worth it.
For a dedicated editor/graphics person someone who wants both a windows and a mac world then yes.
Bare in mind you can also have mac os on a windows machine ala hackintosh.
Geek mode over/:colone:

So is it worth it for you? You are a "normal student" after all... Unless you're heavily into editing and graphics?
Original post by themorninglight
So is it worth it for you? You are a "normal student" after all... Unless you're heavily into editing and graphics?

It is worth it for me as I'm heavily into editing and graphics, it is a hobby of mine and self learn it.
Plus I use bootcamp so I can have windows on it too.
I use the windows side for graphics projects and when needed I transfer the files onto final cut on the mac side.
So I'm happy with it.
It is worth it for me as I'm heavily into editing and graphics, it is a hobby of mine and self learn it.
I use the windows side for graphics projects and when needed I transfer the files onto final cut on the mac side.
So I'm happy with it.

Sounds interesting mashaAllah. I'm like an old person when it comes to technology lol, I can just about work an ordinary laptop and that's it :redface:
So I'm happy with it.

What do you edit? Is there any examples of your work?
Guysss since y'all are talking hi-tech and all, can y'all help a sister out or nah?
Guysss since y'all are talking hi-tech and all, can y'all help a sister out or nah?

How can we help
Original post by Anonynous
What do you edit? Is there any examples of your work?

I do edits for islamic vids, lectures and do intros for them.
Last year I did an amazing (well to me at least ) ramadan intro, but can't find it online.
I need to have my own youtube channel.
How can we help

Errr, if ya go back a couple of pages, I asked y'all if you can recommend me a pretty basic laptop for everyday use for about £400.
Errr, if ya go back a couple of pages, I asked y'all if you can recommend me a pretty basic laptop for everyday use for about £400.

HPs
I dont see many somali guys at uni tbh lool. I think ive seen like 3/4 since the start of term! There are way more south asians than somalis at our uni :tongue:

Come to mine!! there are so manyyy!! Hardly any Somali girls tho.

Quick Reply

Latest