The Student Room Group

I'm I supposed to know everything written in my lecture notes or...

what the learning outcomes say I should know? One of my modules don't even have learning outcomes so it can be a bit hard to pinpoint key concepts.
Reply 1
Original post by dammitjustdammit
what the learning outcomes say I should know? One of my modules don't even have learning outcomes so it can be a bit hard to pinpoint key concepts.

You are supposed to know the subject, lecture notes are just concise summary of what the subject is about or part of it.

That doesn't mean you need to be able to quote the book/material word by word, but for example just that you could yourself come up with such concise summary and explain it to someone, then that would mean that you know your **** about this topic. Learning outcomes is just an outline of what you are supposed to know.

That's the ideal, you can slip through knowing less & just passing course works, exams.:wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2

In my experience learning outcomes tend to be very vague and just umbrella many finer points. You could always ask your module leader to clarify their learning outcomes, or ask that the lecture is made available online afterwards so you can go over it again for the concepts? (If it's in a presentation that is.)
Original post by McMicheal
You are supposed to know the subject, lecture notes are just concise summary of what the subject is about or part of it.

That doesn't mean you need to be able to quote the book/material word by word, but for example just that you could yourself come up with such concise summary and explain it to someone, then that would mean that you know your **** about this topic. Learning outcomes is just an outline of what you are supposed to know.

That's the ideal, you can slip through knowing less & just passing course works, exams.:wink:

I'm not just revising from my lecture notes. I just really need to exactly what I should be revising so I dont waste anytime during the exam period. I wouldnt be able to make a concise summary if i didnt know exactly what I should be revising. You said that learning outcomes are an outline on what I am supposed to know, so should I just tailor my revision to the learning outcomes.
I'm not just revising from my lecture notes. I just really need to exactly what I should be revising so I dont waste anytime during the exam period. I wouldnt be able to make a concise summary if i didnt know exactly what I should be revising. You said that learning outcomes are an outline on what I am supposed to know, so should I just tailor my revision to the learning outcomes.

There is some merit to learning everything in the lecture notes. A couple of days ago, I flicked through a textbook I'd never seen before, and had a really great moment of "wow, I know all this". It was a pretty thick book, too.
Original post by Smaug123
There is some merit to learning everything in the lecture notes. A couple of days ago, I flicked through a textbook I'd never seen before, and had a really great moment of "wow, I know all this". It was a pretty thick book, too.

Ok, so would you say It is better to know everything from the lecture notes or is it too time consuming?
Original post by KJane
In my experience learning outcomes tend to be very vague and just umbrella many finer points. You could always ask your module leader to clarify their learning outcomes, or ask that the lecture is made available online afterwards so you can go over it again for the concepts? (If it's in a presentation that is.)

I'll do that. Still, do you think it would be better to just revise everything from the lecture notes rather than just going through the learning outcomes?
(edited 9 years ago)
My experience is you'd still need the lecture notes (especially to answer bonus questions like the Men from Mars) but I'd suggest to only use them as a guide to what you need to be reading up on.

And when you do the further reading, two different textbooks may cover a certain topic very differently. You may just get a more intuitive explanation in a game theory book, for example, than a textbook which explains it all in words.
Reply 8

Well for revision, lecture notes cover key concepts for you, so make sure you understand & know those. If it's not explained enough within the lecture notes what say particular concept is about or you don't get it, then do some further reading in books or looking it up on the internetz.

As for lecture outcomes, if it says "Understand parallel computing" and you're like I know what the term means, but I couldn't explain well what goes on with parallel computing, then read about it in your books or look it up on internet.

There should have been some revision lecture or should be one coming up, where they'd tell you exactly what concepts, things will be in exam that you should prepare for. If not email lecturer, get some course mates to do that and they'll organise one if possible.
Original post by McMicheal
Well for revision, lecture notes cover key concepts for you, so make sure you understand & know those. If it's not explained enough within the lecture notes what say particular concept is about or you don't get it, then do some further reading in books or looking it up on the internetz.

As for lecture outcomes, if it says "Understand parallel computing" and you're like I know what the term means, but I couldn't explain well what goes on with parallel computing, then read about it in your books or look it up on internet.

There should have been some revision lecture or should be one coming up, where they'd tell you exactly what concepts, things will be in exam that you should prepare for. If not email lecturer, get some course mates to do that and they'll organise one if possible.

My exams are a long way away. I just don't want to mess up when the time arrives. As for the here and now, would you say it is better to just know everything from my revision notes anyway or would I just be wasting time/would it just be better too just tailor my revision to my lecture learning outcomes for the meantime?
Learning purely to the syllabus is an approach that works with GCSE and A level because they are public exams and there needs to be a way to tell thousands of teachers across the country how to prepare their students for those exams.

University is different. Lecturers set their own exams and they will teach you what they are interested in. When setting their exams, they know what you have been taught because they taught it to you. They will also be looking for evidence that you have read more widely. So if you did well in your A levels because you studied to the syllabus, you probably need to change your approach for university.

I'd use both the lecture notes and the learning outcomes as guidance for what the lecturer is looking for you to know by the exam. The lecture notes as a minimum, but the guidance notes to inform any additional reading.
Reply 11
I'll do that. Still, do you think it would be better to just revise everything from the lecture notes rather than just going through the learning outcomes?

Notes, primarily.
I've found that across many degree subjects, a lot of the assessments don't require you to know about everything from every lecture.

Due to this I like to streamline my time and brain space by going to a lecture and just politely listening but only being proactive with material that is going to relate to an assessment. Some people agree with this approach and others don't but I'd rather spend time on assessments and allowing myself time to relax in between over and above trying to know everything.
Reply 13
Original post by laurakate1988
I've found that across many degree subjects, a lot of the assessments don't require you to know about everything from every lecture.

Due to this I like to streamline my time and brain space by going to a lecture and just politely listening but only being proactive with material that is going to relate to an assessment. Some people agree with this approach and others don't but I'd rather spend time on assessments and allowing myself time to relax in between over and above trying to know everything.

That would be a problem on courses where assessment is a mix of coursework and exams. If you cover a subject in coursework, it's unlikely to come up in exams. That can actually be a useful way of focussing exam revision.
My exams are a long way away. I just don't want to mess up when the time arrives. As for the here and now, would you say it is better to just know everything from my revision notes anyway or would I just be wasting time/would it just be better too just tailor my revision to my lecture learning outcomes for the meantime?

I'd say, go through all material/know everything now and revise on specifics that will definitely be in exam when exams are close, like 1-4 weeks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending