The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

if he did it to a guy nothing would have happened.

****ing hell my mates have done that to me pretty much.
Original post by EllieC130
Question- was anyone else dumb enough to think this guy hit a hemaphrodite? I thought the title meant the victim was a "woman with a penis" XD

I did LOL.
Original post by TenOfThem
I am disappointed by that - he should have been prosecuted - not sure what the charge would be

I think it comes down to what happened when arrested- he was open and admitted what had happened- the young man appealing denied it up to the last minute. The police with a first offence tend to be more leniant with those who are at least honest and dont cause them more work
Original post by Clip
I don't really know what the issue is here. He's been an idiot, he got sent down and he'll be out before Christmas. Move on.

His life is completely ruined.

He has a criminal record for SEXUAL ASSAULT.

He will never get a professional job.

The jail time is trivial.
How can anybody kid themselves that this wasn't assault? It absolutely was and prison is an appropriate punishment. It is quite depressing seeing so many people in this thread dismiss this as just laddish fun. Even seemingly harmless acts can have a significant and lasting psychological effect on victims.

Original post by Mimsycrafts
-the woman didn't know she had been slapped with a penis. It wasn't a group joke that she was aware off
-she first found out when the police interviewed her after the guys friend who videoed the incident was showing his friends at work and one of his work friends reported it to the police- how bad would a video have to be for someone to break 'bro code' and call the police is a key question to ask yourself
- the woman in questions statement said that for her the most horrifying thing is not knowing who has a copy of the video and if it is still being distributed.

None of that diminishes the act, it was still assault whether she knew about it or not. Think about it, where do you draw the line? Is it acceptable to rape someone if they're unconscious? Being violated when you are asleep and at your most vulnerable only makes the crime worse in my opinion.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by KingStannis
His life is completely ruined.

He has a criminal record for SEXUAL ASSAULT.

He will never get a professional job.

The jail time is trivial.

He put his dick in some girl's face. He could not have contemplated that it was not a criminal or sexual act.
I think it comes down to what happened when arrested- he was open and admitted what had happened- the young man appealing denied it up to the last minute. The police with a first offence tend to be more leniant with those who are at least honest and dont cause them more work

Interesting
Original post by Samual

None of that diminishes the act

You seem to have misinterpreted mimsycrafts comments
Original post by Samual
How can anybody kid themselves that this wasn't assault? It absolutely was and prison is an appropriate punishment. It is quite depressing seeing so many people in this thread dismiss this as just laddish fun. Even seemingly harmless acts can have significant and lasting psychological effect on victims.

None of that diminishes the act, it was still assault whether she knew about it or not. Think about it, where do you draw the line? Is it acceptable to rape someone if they're unconscious? Being violated when you are asleep and at your most vulnerable only makes the crime worse in my opinion.

Ok I am extremely offended that you have taken my words out of context to support your views. At no point have I suggested that the guy who did this didnt deserve everything he got. In fact my comments were to give people the full background information of the incident to support the fact that this was NOT a jokey prank or some kind of group joke.

I EXPECT AN APOLOGY FOR YOUR FAILURE TO HAVE THE COMMON DECENCY TO READ MY COMMENTS PROPERLY
Original post by Clip
He put his dick in some girl's face. He could not have contemplated that it was not a criminal or sexual act.

it's not sexual. the whole thing is completely trivial.
Original post by TenOfThem
You seem to have misinterpreted mimsycrafts comments

No I didn't.
Original post by Samual
No I didn't.

So,she quite explicitly pointed out that the video must have been very disturbing

She also pointed out the ongoing the distress that the victim was suffering

At no point did she suggest that this was not a serious assault
Completely disproportionate punishment, IMO.
Original post by Samual
No I didn't.

Yes you did
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Completely disproportionate punishment, IMO.

no chief! thats good punishment!
Original post by TurboCretin
Except that doctors are given permission by their patients to examine them.

If you went to see a doctor about an eye problem and he stuck his hand down your trousers and felt your wang, then that would be sexual assault.

What about people who unexpectedly find themselves in a coma? I assume nurses need to insert catheters? They'll need to be washed and what not.

What if someone was climbing something and slipping so you pushed them up by the rear? Is that as innately sexual as groping?

Why aren't embalmers all guilty of necrophilia?

Minors can't consent to sexual activity so how can something be sexual at the point of consent and then not be?
What about young infants who object to being bathed?
Ok I am extremely offended that you have taken my words out of context to support your views. At no point have I suggested that the guy who did this didnt deserve everything he got. In fact my comments were to give people the full background information of the incident to support the fact that this was NOT a jokey prank or some kind of group joke.

I EXPECT AN APOLOGY FOR YOUR FAILURE TO HAVE THE COMMON DECENCY TO READ MY COMMENTS PROPERLY

I did not suggest that you personally felt that way nor did I take anything you said out of context. I merely responded to the idea that a victim is not a victim if he/she is unaware a crime has been committed. If you were uncomfortable with being quoted in relation to that discussion, you shouldn't have brought it up in the first place.

I don't know why you've interrupted my post as an accusation. I am sorry that you misunderstood my post but that is hardly my fault.
Original post by Samual
I merely responded to the idea that a victim is not a victim if he/she is unaware a crime has been committed.

this is where you misinterpreted

mimsycraft did NOT suggest that the victim was not a victim

Quite the opposite
Original post by green.tea
What about people who unexpectedly find themselves in a coma? I assume nurses need to insert catheters? They'll need to be washed and what not.

No - the principle of necessity operates here. Necessity is a defence to trespass to the person. It applies where action is taken to preserve the life and wellbeing of someone who is unable to consent to that action.

What if someone was climbing something and slipping so you pushed them up by the rear? Is that as innately sexual as groping?

That depends on whether it was necessary (a) to help them at all and (b) to do so by pushing their rear. Alternatively, if the slip might have caused injury to yourself, then you could argue self-defence.

Why aren't embalmers all guilty of necrophilia?

Necrophilia isn't itself a crime.

Minors can't consent to sexual activity so how can something be sexual at the point of consent and then not be?

What?

Latest

Trending

Trending