The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CJKay
I am in no way pretending it's common behaviour, and the lad stereotype is venomous, but to pretend that women don't partake in a lot of "unwomanly" behaviour, as you stated, is flat out wrong. I don't know why you're extrapolating what I said into how I feel about this particular situation, because I didn't even comment on that.

Maybe I did assume but that's because of the way you're interpreting what I said. I never said women don't do unladylike things but the direct comparison earlier posters were making - as in a woman rubbing her vagina in a sleeping guy's face and filming it for circulation amongst friends - is something in particular 99.9% of women would just not do. And if she did do it she would not get support from fellow women. In fact I don't know if there'd be any friends there to take a video because I wouldn't want to be caught dead near a girl doing something like that let alone be associated as 'one of her friends'. That is, in essence, my point.
Original post by callumcampbell25
Oscar Pistorious, likely to serve 10 months in prison and this guy gets 9? For essentially touching a woman with his body? Just because it involves genitalia doesn't make it sexual, I seriously doubt he got any sexual pleasure from this act

Pure conjecture and ignores the fact he was actually sentenced for much longer. That and you don't know how much of this guy's 9 month sentence he'll actually serve.

So quite a stupid point.
If the roles were reversed , this wouldn't even make it to court. But , to be fair it was very indecent and is an example of sexual assault. However 9 months is pretty harsh considering there are rapists getting out in 2 years.
Original post by Dandaman1
"A student has been jailed for slapping a sleeping woman in the face with his penis while his friend filmed the indecent act on his phone."

I'm not at all condoning his actions, but does this reaction seem a little harsh to you? .

depends on the size of the weapon used in the assault. if i did the same as this guy, it could be construed as attempted murder
Original post by Blaq_widow
Maybe I did assume but that's because of the way you're interpreting what I said. I never said women don't do unladylike things but the direct comparison earlier posters were making - as in a woman rubbing her vagina in a sleeping guy's face and filming it for circulation amongst friends - is something in particular 99.9% of women would just not do. And if she did do it she would not get support from fellow women. In fact I don't know if there'd be any friends there to take a video because I wouldn't want to be caught dead near a girl doing something like that let alone be associated as 'one of her friends'. That is, in essence, my point.

But it's an irrelevant point, because 99.9% of men wouldn't do what the person this thread is about did either.

And if a woman did the equivalent to a guy at a party, I certainly wouldn't be advocating that she spends 9 months in prison. I think that's very disproportionate.
Original post by SophiaLDN
How would you feel if someone slapped you in the face with their penis? You're so concerned about his life, what about the woman who was assaulted?
. Should give him enough time to think about life and penis-related things.

i think life would be a bit harsh. id say that he will probably learn his leasson when he wakes up one night in prison with someone doing the same thing to him
wonder how the feds proved it was his in the video - maybe they setup an identity parade?
Original post by Chief Wiggum
But it's an irrelevant point, because 99.9% of men wouldn't do what the person this thread is about did either.

And if a woman did the equivalent to a guy at a party, I certainly wouldn't be advocating that she spends 9 months in prison. I think that's very disproportionate.

Dude, you know that's not true and you can't say that a lot of guys see that as 'not a big deal'. The reason for that is:

Original post by Dandaman1
This stuff happens in fraternities and sleepovers on a daily basis.

An exaggeration I'll admit but I've heard many stories of guys doing similar things. It's not what you'd call uncommon. Denying it is like denying that a lot of women think it's acceptable to hit men (which too many do). It's just the truth albeit a bit uncomfortable. It's really not a competition about 'which sex is better'.
Original post by TolerantBeing
"But I guess she can sleep well at night knowing this dangerous psychopath is behind bars, and that his life will never be the same again."

That sounds like blame to me, his poor life will never be the same again, poor bloke.

I'm pretty shocked that firstly you guys thinking slapping an individual around the face with your dicks is acceptable because it's lad behaviour. And secondly I'm shocked that you think that sort of behaviour should go unpunished.

You all need to grow up, and learn that actions have consequences.

We never once said it was acceptable.

9 months in prison for slapping someone with your junk, however, is too much. It was a dumb prank and not an intended sexual assault. Would a woman be sent to prison for 9 months after doing something similar? No. And if the victim of the prank was a man? No.

He was drunk, he thought he was being funny, he had no previous criminal history, and the girl wasn't even aware of it until she was later informed.

But instead: Eeek, a penis! Lock him away!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Blaq_widow
Dude, you know that's not true and you can't say that a lot of guys see that as 'not a big deal'. The reason for that is:

An exaggeration I'll admit but I've heard many stories of guys doing similar things. It's not what you'd call uncommon. Denying it is like denying that a lot of women think it's acceptable to hit men (which too many do). It's just the truth albeit a bit uncomfortable. It's really not a competition about 'which sex is better'.

Well, obviously the percentage 99.9 was invented by me, but the vast majority of guys have not slapped an unconscious person with their penis. I obviously cannot claim to have an accurate percentage.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Seems a bit over the top. If I got slapped in the face with some drunk guys willy at a party I'd think it was disgusting and probably feel a bit freaked out but I wouldn't press charges! I'd feel terrible that he'd spend 9 months in jail for it.

That's because you're one of the only chicks who doesn't think everything will lead to some form of trauma that will stay with you for the rest of your life. Good on you. :smile:
Original post by callumcampbell25
Oscar Pistorious, likely to serve 10 months in prison and this guy gets 9? For essentially touching a woman with his body? Just because it involves genitalia doesn't make it sexual, I seriously doubt he got any sexual pleasure from this act

Different legal systems.
Is anyone considering the severity if one of these "practical jokers" had a sexually related disease? (Perhaps not easily, but where does one draw the line).
Original post by green.tea
Personally I don't think this should be classified as sexual assault. The act wasn't sexual, it was a prank. It's the difference between accidentally brushing someones butt and deliberately touching them there. It's the sexual intent that makes it sexual assault and that clearly was not present in this case.

You don't get to choose the standard for what's sexual and what isn't, and neither does the perpetrator. If a guy raped you but was like 'oh, it wasn't sexual for me, it was a prank' does that make it so? Legally, and by any sane person's definition, what happened was sexual, and was sexual assault.
Inappropriate punishment, and I find it highly disturbing that so many people think it was fair. Jail is for dangerous criminals, to protect the public from them.
Community service, a suspended sentence, mandatory sexual assault awareness lessons etc would have been appropriate.
Original post by SophiaLDN
How would you feel if someone slapped you in the face with their penis? You're so concerned about his life, what about the woman who was assaulted?

If he is so worried about his future career, he should have thought about it before he did that. Disgusting. That isn't a 'prank'. People need to stop throwing that word around like its a 'get out of trouble-card' that makes up for assaulting someone. Would he even serve the entire 9 months in jail? Whatever, I think it's appropriate. Should give him enough time to think about life and penis-related things.

Upset, angry, disturbed. But it certainly wouldn't ruin my life and traumatise me.
And I certainly wouldn't want to spend mine and my parents tax money to lock him up. As I said above, he needs education about sexual assault, perhaps community service/suspended sentence and a fine.
Oh, and yes it was a prank - an inappropriate one, but it doesn't sound like he had malicious intentions, hence the word prank is appropriate.
Original post by james22
I would think they were being a bit of an arse but I sure as hell wouldn't involve the police, let alone want them to go to prison. He shouldn't have done it but 9 months is just stupid.

You might if you knew it had been filmed. Police = fear so less chance of the vid getting out.
Original post by joker12345
You might if you knew it had been filmed. Police = fear so less chance of the vid getting out.

I already knew that. I still think that jail it way over the top.
Original post by TolerantBeing
"But I guess she can sleep well at night knowing this dangerous psychopath is behind bars, and that his life will never be the same again."

That sounds like blame to me, his poor life will never be the same again, poor bloke.

I'm pretty shocked that firstly you guys thinking slapping an individual around the face with your dicks is acceptable because it's lad behaviour. And secondly I'm shocked that you think that sort of behaviour should go unpunished.

You all need to grow up, and learn that actions have consequences.

That statement, IMO, illustrates well how ridiculous the sentence is rather than placing blame. She was right to report it, I would have too.
(I don't think it's acceptable at all, it should be punished but the sentence was completely inappropriate)
Original post by james22
I already knew that. I still think that jail it way over the top.

I've said the exact same thing, but that's down to the justice system, not her. It wasn't wrong of her to report, it was wrong of the courts to jail him.

Latest

Trending

Trending