The Student Room Group

Hip Hop is most definitely dead

And I'm not even talking about the quality of music I'm talking about the lack of songs being released and all round interest in the genre declining. I'm not even sure it's doing as well in America, album sales are lower than ever.. rappers are getting dropped from labels left right and centre.. I've also noticed American hip hop becoming alot like UK songs adding bass to their instrumentals in an attempt to switch it up. Even 50 Cent is getting desperate, hes now reformed G-Unit lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Supply and demand. If them having more bass instrumentals mean more people would be interested, then that's what they should do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I guess back in the day younger people used to actually buy Music...now days they can all download them resulting in a fall in album sales.
So artists invest their time doing shows,touring and Merchandise cause thats where the money is now.
haha, OP posts that, next day Run The Jewels 2 is released for free.

Who cares about ******** like 50 Cent not selling as well?

Hip Hop is very much alive lads.
(edited 9 years ago)
As long as Yeezus is blessing us hip hop will not die.
Reply 5
Original post by Wilfred Little
haha, OP posts that, next day Run The Jewels 2 is released for free.

Who cares about ******** like 50 Cent not selling as well?

Hip Hop is very much alive lads.

so who do you think is keeping hip hop alive then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's some great hip-hop around and great variety. As someone Run the Jewels 2 just dropped, Kendrick Lamar has an album soon aswell and the the list can go on much longer.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MrMango
so who do you think is keeping hip hop alive then?

Big Boi, Ghostface Killah, Nas, Oddisee (basically the whole of Mello Music Group), El-P & Killer Mike aka Run The Jewels, Elzhi... Black Milk has an album out tomorrow too.

There is still a lot of quality music being released (in my opinion, more so than 10/15 years ago which was when Hip Hop went a bit crap yet dominated the mainstream) which is becoming easier and easier to find. As far as the 'mainstream' goes, it seems like EDM is becoming more popular, but a lack of mainstream success doesn't mean Hip Hop is dead (and there are plenty of successful mainstream Hip Hop artists).

In recent years we've had a ton of critically acclaimed Hip Hop albums.
I forgot Danny Brown as well.
There is a lot of good music being released and a lot of good music I've been listening to. I disagree with this thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Wilfred Little
I forgot Danny Brown as well.

Are you bloody joking the artists you named are not even commercial. Lets keep it 100, commercial hiphop is what you hear.. no one is waiting on Nas and GFKs next tune.. These artists have a tiny fanbase.. They are not doing anything for hip hop.. They are washedup has beens.. look at Busta Rhymes for example.. a complete legend who cant accept his time is over so instead of dying gracefully he joins Young Money lol.. who BTW completely ignore him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
not even slightly dead
Original post by MrMango
And I'm not even talking about the quality of music I'm talking about the lack of songs being released and all round interest in the genre declining. I'm not even sure it's doing as well in America, album sales are lower than ever.. rappers are getting dropped from labels left right and centre.. I've also noticed American hip hop becoming alot like UK songs adding bass to their instrumentals in an attempt to switch it up. Even 50 Cent is getting desperate, hes now reformed G-Unit lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA Oh man, Thats it for me tonight.. I can go to sleep and wake up laughing at this homie. :laugh:
Reply 13
it worries me when people who clearly don't take a strong interest in a genre start talking about the state of it
hiphop is in a pretty strong place right now in all fairness
Original post by MrMango
Are you bloody joking the artists you named are not even commercial. Lets keep it 100, commercial hiphop is what you hear.. no one is waiting on Nas and GFKs next tune.. These artists have a tiny fanbase.. They are not doing anything for hip hop.. They are washedup has beens.. look at Busta Rhymes for example.. a complete legend who cant accept his time is over so instead of dying gracefully he joins Young Money lol.. who BTW completely ignore him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well your thread title should have been 'Commercial Hip Hop is most definitely dead' then. I admittedly know nothing about Hip Hop but it doesn't seem like you know much either and it doesn't seem like you care.... what is the point of this thread?
Reply 15
Original post by ilandboi
BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA Oh man, Thats it for me tonight.. I can go to sleep and wake up laughing at this homie. :laugh:

Tell me what I've said is unture with evidence and I shall quit the internet right now. Just because you like a artist doesnt make them good or that they are keeping hip hop alive.. idiot do you thin Nas is more popular than lil wayne? Nas is basically underground now.
Original post by Kaiju
it worries me when people who clearly don't take a strong interest in a genre start talking about the state of it
hiphop is in a pretty strong place right now in all fairness
Evidence as I can provide you with plenty.. even rappers have said hiphop is dying ****ing Nas dedicated an Album on the topic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Probably meant as bait like some of the other ones, idk

Mike Mictlan (Doomtree) releases Hella Frrreal tomorrow, as well as RTJ2 having a free release date tomorrow. I think Sage Francis might have just released Copper Gone and on the UK side of things Lil Simz hasn't long released her last EP and High Focus is dropping releases almost constantly, just to name a few things.

On the US side of things indie giants Strange Music and Rhymesayers are still churning out material with the latter releasing Hail Mary Mallon's Bestiary soon.

I think both Doomtree and FtoItoX are working on big projects, amongst other things

Parker (Dumbfounded) is wo-
You get the picture
Reply 17
If we're talking more known artists then I think it goes without saying that Kendrick Lamar is doing just fine, same with Ab Soul.

Childish Gambino recently released Because the Internet too.

Murs recently signed to Tech Nine's Strange and worked on a full album with Mayday as well as featuring on Tech's own songs

Dilated Peoples reformed and released an album, if you can't remember them they were mainstream a bunch of years back, did "This way" with Kanye if my memory serves me well.

Srsly, it's all good.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MrMango

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_Is_Good_(Nas_album)#Charts

:confused:
Original post by Kaiju
If we're talking more known artists then I think it goes without saying that Kendrick Lamar is doing just fine, same with Ab Soul.

Childish Gambino recently released Because the Internet too.

Murs recently signed to Tech Nine's Strange and worked on a full album with Mayday as well as featuring on Tech's own songs

Dilated Peoples reformed and released an album, if you can't remember them they were mainstream a bunch of years back, did "This way" with Kanye if my memory serves me well.

Srsly, it's all good.

Please mention Dreamville when you mention TDE! They're both very good and doing very well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest