The Student Room Group

Exeter medical school applicants 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know the timeline of when they'll give out offers/interviews?
Original post by Lessgooo
Does anyone know the timeline of when they'll give out offers/interviews?

The vast majority of interviews are in December, so expect an invite late November. Offers can come anytime afterwards, could be the week after or 3 months later in March.
Reply 242
Original post by Mehhhh
The vast majority of interviews are in December, so expect an invite late November. Offers can come anytime afterwards, could be the week after or 3 months later in March.

Exeter interviews are MMI right or panel?

& do you know what they looked out for last year?
Original post by Hudl
Exeter interviews are MMI right or panel?

& do you know what they looked out for last year?

Panel (thankfully). I know that their interview is very similar to Plymouth's where you are given 3 scenarios before the interview and you are told to choose one of those scenarios. At the interview, you'll be questioned on that scenario, and other aspects of your application. Every applicant is asked the same questions. I don't know exactly what qualities they look for, it's worth checking out the website for more info. The qualities that are assessed are the same at every uni anyway, I doubt that Exeter has there own "special" quality that they look out for.
Original post by Mehhhh
Panel (thankfully). I know that their interview is very similar to Plymouth's where you are given 3 scenarios before the interview and you are told to choose one of those scenarios. At the interview, you'll be questioned on that scenario, and other aspects of your application. Every applicant is asked the same questions. I don't know exactly what qualities they look for, it's worth checking out the website for more info. The qualities that are assessed are the same at every uni anyway, I doubt that Exeter has there own "special" quality that they look out for.

I actually really liked MMI's last year!! Why aren't you a fan?
Original post by Dr. Django
I actually really liked MMI's last year!! Why aren't you a fan?

*cough* 3 post-interview rejections *cough* (Leicester's MMI is alright though) + I feel more confident during mock interviews (which are panel interviews essentially), I like the conversation-like style of panel interviews unlike the "talking to the wall" MMI style :tongue:

Original post by alexSH
it says February on the website..

Yes, there are interviews in February as well but, based on last year, most interviews took place in December. This should be the case this year too.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mehhhh
*cough* 3 post-interview rejections *cough* (Leicester's MMI is alright though) + I feel more confident during mock interviews (which are panel interviews essentially), I like the conversation-like style of panel interviews unlike the "talking to the wall" MMI style :tongue:

Oh right, similarly my opinion is biased based on outcome too xD offers from my MMIs and rejection from my panel! I just found my panel interview awkward whereas I liked the task based style of mmi! Anyways, I'll have to get more confident with panels this year as 3/4 of my unis use panel interviews *touch wood I get one*

Basically at every interview I say one moronic thing...it just so happens I said it 30 secs into my panel interview whereas my dumbass moments in MMI didn't affect me as much as there's no lingering awkwardness
Reply 247
Oh right, similarly my opinion is biased based on outcome too xD offers from my MMIs and rejection from my panel! I just found my panel interview awkward whereas I liked the task based style of mmi! Anyways, I'll have to get more confident with panels this year as 3/4 of my unis use panel interviews *touch wood I get one*

Basically at every interview I say one moronic thing...it just so happens I said it 30 secs into my panel interview whereas my dumbass moments in MMI didn't affect me as much as there's no lingering awkwardness

Original post by Mehhhh

Yes, there are interviews in February as well but, based on last year, most interviews took place in December. This should be the case this year too.

What type of things do you even have to do at MMI interviews, I'm super scared its unbelievable.
Every time I think of it I want to cry hahaha
Original post by Hudl
What type of things do you even have to do at MMI interviews, I'm super scared its unbelievable.

Nothing crazy xD I can't say any specifics as we're not allowed but most MMIs consist of a few stations of 'normal' panel interview about a specific question, then maybe a station or 2 on ethics, then there may be a station where you watch a video or read an article and you're asked to comment on it and another typical thing is role play.

They all vary though, some (like Manchester) are apparently just a divided up panel interview with lots of different panels, whereas others may have numerical tasks, group tasks, even dexterity testing tasks!

Unless the med school specifically states what kind of stations they have on their website then you probably won't find out until you get your interview invitation.

From my experience MMI are pretty enjoyable and I personally found them more comfortable than panel interviews, but I think it's down to personal preference! All I can say as reassurance is that there is nothing beyond 'normal' interview prep that will benefit you over another candidate!
(edited 9 years ago)

We are complete opposites when it comes to which interview style we prefer! I find MMIs awkward - I mainly blame my nervousness for that. One of my interviews had the panel style, but the interview score was shared, 50/50, with the group task, which is what I think let me down.

3/4 of my unis are MMI and only 1 is panel (no group task :biggrin:).

Original post by Hudl

MMIs are not that scary, despite my hate for them. My number one tip would be to stay calm - it is impossible to concentrate and articulate your answer properly otherwise. The questions can be difficult, but you must remember that you are being asked those questions for a reason. What do the interviewers want to hear? Forget about trying to sound "smart", say what you think is right. Don't doubt yourself.

Try to smile a lot, especially at the beginning of the interview/station. Not only does it give a friendly first impression of yourself to the interviewers, smiling helps to calm yourself down and almost convince yourself that you are enjoying yourself.

I thought back to my "good" stations and my "bad" stations, and I have narrowed down my weaknesses to my lack of enjoyment of the interview and not remaining calm.
Original post by Hudl

Forgot to mention, the interviewers tend to avoid eye contact and say very little, don't let it put you off (It definitely put me off last year! I didn't realise at the time that interviewers have been specifically instructed to do that!)
Original post by Mehhhh
Forgot to mention, the interviewers tend to avoid eye contact and say very little, don't let it put you off (It definitely put me off last year! I didn't realise at the time that interviewers have been specifically instructed to do that!)

I second this!! At one station I wasn't acknowledged apart from when I was asked an initial question and them had to ramble on for 5 minutes with literally no prompts or anything...I thought it was a disaster and the interviewer hated me but it turned out that they'd been like that for everyone xD

Just be chill yah!

As for panel interviews...I'm freaking out about them xD
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 252
Original post by Mehhhh
We are complete opposites when it comes to which interview style we prefer! I find MMIs awkward - I mainly blame my nervousness for that. One of my interviews had the panel style, but the interview score was shared, 50/50, with the group task, which is what I think let me down.

3/4 of my unis are MMI and only 1 is panel (no group task :biggrin:).

MMIs are not that scary, despite my hate for them. My number one tip would be to stay calm - it is impossible to concentrate and articulate your answer properly otherwise. The questions can be difficult, but you must remember that you are being asked those questions for a reason. What do the interviewers want to hear? Forget about trying to sound "smart", say what you think is right. Don't doubt yourself.

Try to smile a lot, especially at the beginning of the interview/station. Not only does it give a friendly first impression of yourself to the interviewers, smiling helps to calm yourself down and almost convince yourself that you are enjoying yourself.

I thought back to my "good" stations and my "bad" stations, and I have narrowed down my weaknesses to my lack of enjoyment of the interview and not remaining calm.

Nothing crazy xD I can't say any specifics as we're not allowed but most MMIs consist of a few stations of 'normal' panel interview about a specific question, then maybe a station or 2 on ethics, then there may be a station where you watch a video or read an article and you're asked to comment on it and another typical thing is role play.

They all vary though, some (like Manchester) are apparently just a divided up panel interview with lots of different panels, whereas others may have numerical tasks, group tasks, even dexterity testing tasks!

Unless the med school specifically states what kind of stations they have on their website then you probably won't find out until you get your interview invitation.

From my experience MMI are pretty enjoyable and I personally found them more comfortable than panel interviews, but I think it's down to personal preference! All I can say as reassurance is that there is nothing beyond 'normal' interview prep that will benefit you over another candidate!

Aww thanks for this guys it was really useful and has slightly calmed my nerves. I hope I do well, I am quite a confident person. I was extremely confident at high school where I was the best at everything. Literally. but my confidence dropped when I went to a grammar school for sixth form and I was average lol. I'm just not as bold anymore in the things I say.

I also remember doing a lot of presentations at high school as headboy even for open evenings to several potential students and their parents but now when I do presentations I literally shake inside. You know when you talk and your voice is shivering lol

I'm just scared that the same thing will happen to me at interview

DrDjango we seemed to have made 3 of the same medical choices. Manchester Exeter Lancaster (Plymouth was my 4th)
Can someone do a poll with the mean ukcat scores. That would be fab!
To any medical students, could you please describe a typical week? How many hours of lectures, small group tutorials, etc?
Hi guys, I'm a bit late in joining this thread aha,

Just been reading the thread, curious about this AAA/A*AA predictions for home applicants confusion. What do we need in order to have a shot at interview? I am a resitter so the lines are kind of blurry :confused:
Original post by ArchieMH
Hi guys, I'm a bit late in joining this thread aha,

Just been reading the thread, curious about this AAA/A*AA predictions for home applicants confusion. What do we need in order to have a shot at interview? I am a resitter so the lines are kind of blurry :confused:

As far as I'm aware it's a prediction/achieved of either A*AA or AAAA

As a fellow resitter, I asked the admissions about how we are assessed and apparently we are viewed the same, so if you have those predictions then (last year anyway) you would get an interview provided you meet the ukcat cutoff
As far as I'm aware it's a prediction/achieved of either A*AA or AAAA

As a fellow resitter, I asked the admissions about how we are assessed and apparently we are viewed the same, so if you have those predictions then (last year anyway) you would get an interview provided you meet the ukcat cutoff

Ah I see, the emails that they send out aren't exactly informative..... What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by ArchieMH
Ah I see, the emails that they send out aren't exactly informative..... What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

9A*2A, 4A AS, A*ABB A2 with exten circumstances, 760 ukcat :smile: A*A predicted alongside my achieved A*A
9A*2A, 4A AS, A*ABB A2 with exten circumstances, 760 ukcat :smile: A*A predicted alongside my achieved A*A

Blimey......:eek: Something tells me Exeter may be giving you an interview aha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending