The Student Room Group

Cambridge Medicine applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by geebee123
Right I've applied to Fitzwilliam, look OK on paper but a long way still to go. Went to a state school for GCSEs then moved to CofE for 6th form. Details below.

Spoiler

Work Experience

Spoiler

"Look OK" lmao
what is everyone saying for the 'do you have any specific career plans?' question on the saq?
Original post by sanjana96
what is everyone saying for the 'do you have any specific career plans?' question on the saq?

Whether I have any specific career plans?
Right I've applied to Fitzwilliam, look OK on paper but a long way still to go. Went to a state school for GCSEs then moved to CofE for 6th form. Details below.

GCSEs: 12A*s, 1A
GCSE short course: 1A*
FSMQ: A
AS:
Maths: 298/300
Biology: 300/300
Chemistry: 294/300
French: 198/200
Average: 99.08%

Meh. Could do better.

In all seriousness though, you're very strong on paper. Why did you choose Fitz?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Clai
Whether I have any specific career plans?

hilarious. i meant are you planning to leave it blank/specify whether you want to go into clinical or research medicine/suggest specialities that you may be interested it?
Original post by Clai
Meh. Could do better.

In all seriousness though, you're very strong on paper. Why did you choose Fitz?

Well I went to their open day and it seemed very nice, they also said they look more at UMS than BMAT (which obv favours me at this stage). Also didn't want to be in the 'city centre' (from London so it doesn't really seem like a city tbh :tongue:) cos I want a change of scenery when I go to uni :tongue: I quite like cycling as well so with fitz being on a hill and on the outside of town that's quite convenient.

What college you applying to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey guys
I'm applying to Churchill, and have yet to send of the SAQ... Has anyone received any emails from their college? I'm properly bricking it cause all I have received is an acknowledgement email. And what are my chances at Cambridge? Some people have crazy ums scores compared to me. :s-smilie:
STATS

Spoiler

EXTRA

Spoiler

Original post by sanjana96
hilarious. i meant are you planning to leave it blank/specify whether you want to go into clinical or research medicine/suggest specialities that you may be interested it?

Yeah I've put something down, but that's only because I have a bit of an idea of what profession I would like to go into. You definitely don't have to put anything down if you don't know.

Well I went to their open day and it seemed very nice, they also said they look more at UMS than BMAT (which obv favours me at this stage). Also didn't want to be in the 'city centre' (from London so it doesn't really seem like a city tbh :tongue:) cos I want a change of scenery when I go to uni :tongue: I quite like cycling as well so with fitz being on a hill and on the outside of town that's quite convenient.

What college you applying to?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Gonville & Caius.

Original post by ucasunderdog
hey guys
I'm applying to Churchill, and have yet to send of the SAQ... Has anyone received any emails from their college? I'm properly bricking it cause all I have received is an acknowledgement email. And what are my chances at Cambridge? Some people have crazy ums scores compared to me. :s-smilie:
STATS

Spoiler

EXTRA

Spoiler

I've only received the acknowledgement email as well, I don't think they'll be sending out interview offers this soon.
How does one obtain their BMAT number in time for the SAQ to be sent off?????
Posted from TSR Mobile
Just ask your schools admissions officer
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ucasunderdog
Posted from TSR Mobile
Just ask your schools admissions officer
I've

I've emailed him, thank you!
Hi everyone. I haven't read through this whole thread; are there any fellow Downing applicants here? (:

My profile:

Spoiler

Any idea which of the above averages they used? I've heard mixed things.
Original post by AlloSlayer
Hi everyone. I haven't read through this whole thread; are there any fellow Downing applicants here? (:

My profile:

Spoiler

They'll use the average of Bio/Chem/Maths.
Original post by AlloSlayer

My profile:

Spoiler

seriously, I am overwhelmed by this stat... Considering I am applying to downing to read medicine as well, I feel like I am nothing compare with you... :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JackTeh96
seriously, I am overwhelmed by this stat... Considering I am applying to downing to read medicine as well, I feel like I am nothing compare with you... :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't get pessimistic; BMAT and interviews still to come, and I'm sure having like a 3% better AS average won't even factor in the ultimate decision. XD
I have waiting to see this thread for ages and finally there it is!
Profile:

Spoiler

I have put down Downing College as my choice!

Anyone applying for Downing as well?

Me too! So much pressure with the BMAT: I read we should get at least a 6.0 to be worth it
Original post by kate1902
Me too! So much pressure with the BMAT: I read we should get at least a 6.0 to be worth it

Which college are you applying?
Which college are you applying?

Downing! You? I chose it because it has a really strong medical tradition and the word beautiful was invented for that campus
Original post by kate1902
Downing! You? I chose it because it has a really strong medical tradition and the word beautiful was invented for that campus

Same :smile: I like Downing really much :biggrin: IT is really tough to get in! :redface:
Everyone's worrying about the BMAT so
The admissions tutors (at Selwyn anyway) said they always find it hard to actually see a correlation between GCSEs, UMS, BMAT and interview scores; on the FOI requests you can see so many people with 98% at AS and 3.0s in the BMAT. Relatively very few people actually get above a 6.0.
(the average applicant for Selwyn med last year had 5.1 S1, 4.7 S2)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending