The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Little Tail Chaser
I used to go with my mother when she donated and they would hand out different coloured key rings with the different blood groups on them. :biggrin:

I was kinda dissapointed when I found out that I couldn't do it, but apparently there's a risk that I could transmit the human version of mad cow disease if I do, so perhaps its for the best :lol: . I can't do bone marrow either but I'm on the organ donor register which didn't appear to have the same restrictions (I imagine that they still apply, but that they don't advertise them. I suppose that its best to recruit as many people as possible, and then just not use them). I hope that one day, when my intestines are scraped off of a road and shoved into somebody else, that I don't end up turning their brain into a sponge :h:

Oh my goodness, I wish they still had those!!! I'm an organ donor too!*hi-5* I guess you won't know if your organs are used or not when you're dead, so restrictions won't matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I used to go with my mother when she donated and they would hand out different coloured key rings with the different blood groups on them. :biggrin:

I was kinda dissapointed when I found out that I couldn't do it, but apparently there's a risk that I could transmit the human version of mad cow disease if I do, so perhaps its for the best :lol: . I can't do bone marrow either but I'm on the organ donor register which didn't appear to have the same restrictions (I imagine that they still apply, but that they don't advertise them. I suppose that its best to recruit as many people as possible, and then just not use them). I hope that one day, when my intestines are scraped off of a road and shoved into somebody else, that I don't end up turning their brain into a sponge :h:

Original post by blamethenargles
Oh my goodness, I wish they still had those!!! I'm an organ donor too!*hi-5* I guess you won't know if your organs are used or not when you're dead, so restrictions won't matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bruh, no one is taking any organs out of my body when I die :s-smilie:
Original post by Elm Tree

You'll be dead. You won't realy care at that point. However someone who might not make it to Christmas this year all because you wanted to give your useless of bits of flesh to the worms to eat instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obiejess
You'll be dead. You won't realy care at that point. However someone who might not make it to Christmas this year all because you wanted to give your useless of bits of flesh to the worms to eat instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So? It's his choice.

I don't think I'd want to give my organs away, only transplant I'd do is something where I'll live pre and post op.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
So? It's his choice.

I don't think I'd want to give my organs away, only transplant I'd do is something where I'll live pre and post op.

Imo, it's extremely selfish.

Just remember you could be letting someone's parent, brother, sister, uncle, son, daughter die for no reason.

You won't need it when you're already dead, but someone might so they can see their daughter get married etc. You're letting someone else die.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Imo, it's extremely selfish.

Just remember you could be letting someone's parent, brother, sister, uncle, son, daughter die for no reason.

You won't need it when you're already dead, but someone might so they can see their daughter get married etc. You're letting someone else die.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Or its just a matter of wanting to remain intact. It doesn't make a difference if you won't notice or not, that's like me saying I'm allowed to commit Necro cos they'll never know
Or its just a matter of wanting to remain intact. It doesn't make a difference if you won't notice or not, that's like me saying I'm allowed to commit Necro cos they'll never know

That's completely different. You're infringing upon someone else's rights. I don't think we should be forcibly harvesting everyone's organs. It is still the person's choice.

I just it's an incredibly stupid choice. Imo it's an awful thing to prioritise remaining intact until the worms eat you and you rot away anyway, over saving a child or a mother or a father. Someone who still has a life

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not because I want to give my "useless bits" to worms to eat, I find the idea of someone cutting up my dead body and removing stuff from it unsettling.

And what if there's an afterlife and I need my body in tact for some reason? How am I supposed to function with all of my organs missing?
It's not because I want to give my "useless bits" to worms to eat, I find the idea of someone cutting up my dead body and removing stuff from it unsettling.

And what if there's an afterlife and I need my body in tact for some reason? How am I supposed to function with all of my organs missing?

You won't feel anything when you're dead, what's unsettling about it? Plus isn't a little disturbance worth it to save someone's life.

You're going to rot away pretty quickly anyway, so if there is an afterlife in which you need your body you're kind of ****ed unless you're going to be mummified - which requires people cutting into you anyway.

Well, that is your choice to make and I'm not here to attempt to force you to join the register, but I disagree entirely with what you have to say.

To be honest, I can even excuse not giving blood/bone marrow more than I can not being on the donor list. Some people have a phobia of needles, GA would be extremely risky for some people etc etc etc. Once you're dead, these problems are gone. You don't lose anything by donating organs, and by doing so you give to other people so from where I'm standing it's a no-brainer. Why would you choose not to do something which would potentially save or significantly improve the lives of multiple people, when not doing so is not detrimental to you in the slightest. Deliberately choosing not to donate is selfish by every definition of the word.

When you're dead, your organs serve no further use to you at all. I'm an atheist and have no belief in any sort of afterlife, but I can't see how your physical form would be necessary beyond death. What happens to people who die in horrific accidents and end up 'incomplete', do they not get to enter the afterlife? And what about people who are physically intact, but who die of organ failure? Their organs ceased to function in this life, so will they not survive either? What about all the cultures that believe in rebirth? A lot of them burn dead bodies. How are you so certain that your afterlife is not going to be rebirth, in which case you'll get a new body anyway? As far as I'm concerned, and without having a debate about whether or not an afterlife exists; I am certain that this life exists, and would rather provide extended life to other people than risk the chance of me not having an afterlife. And not because they're somebody's family member or so that a parent can see their offspring get married, as Obiejess suggested; but because I believe that people have inherent worth as living creatures.

As for "How am I supposed to function with all of my organs missing?"... I... think you may have fundamentally misunderstood what death entails :wink: (Clue: You no longer function very well at all regardless of where your organs are).

I can't say I understand L'Evil Fish's analogy in the slightest :lolwut: . Necrophilia is wrong because it's (presumably) non-consentual violation, whereas people actively register to become an organ donor and can remove themselves at any time. They know what is going to happen and are perfectly happy with it. I don't think many people would be okay with effectively being raped after death :lolwut:

--

On an unrelated note, if anybody does want to join the register and hasn't yet got round to it for whatever reason, then you can do so here https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/ :smile: . It's really easy and only takes a couple of minutes; you just have to put in your details and tick which organs you'd like to donate, and they send you a donor card about a week later. Even if just one person signed up as a result of reading this post then that would be awesome.
(edited 9 years ago)
Well, that is your choice to make and I'm not here to attempt to force you to join the register, but I disagree entirely with what you have to say.

To be honest, I can even excuse not giving blood/bone marrow more than I can not being on the donor list. Some people have a phobia of needles, GA would be extremely risky for some people etc etc etc. Once you're dead, these problems are gone. You don't lose anything by donating organs, and by doing so you give to other people so from where I'm standing it's a no-brainer. Why would you choose not to do something which would potentially save or significantly improve the lives of multiple people, when not doing so is not detrimental to you in the slightest. Deliberately choosing not to donate is selfish by every definition of the word.

When you're dead, your organs serve no further use to you at all. I'm an atheist and have no belief in any sort of afterlife, but I can't see how your physical form would be necessary beyond death. What happens to people who die in horrific accidents and end up 'incomplete', do they not get to enter the afterlife? And what about people who are physically intact, but who die of organ failure? Their organs ceased to function in this life, so will they not survive either? What about all the cultures that believe in rebirth? A lot of them burn dead bodies. How are you so certain that your afterlife is not going to be rebirth, in which case you'll get a new body anyway? As far as I'm concerned, and without having a debate about whether or not an afterlife exists; I am certain that this life exists, and would rather provide extended life to other people than risk the chance of me not having an afterlife. And not because they're somebody's family member or so that a parent can see their offspring get married, as Obiejess suggested; but because I believe that people have inherent worth as living creatures.

As for "How am I supposed to function with all of my organs missing?"... I... think you may have fundamentally misunderstood what death entails :wink: (Clue: You no longer function very well at all regardless of where your organs are).

I can't say I understand L'Evil Fish's analogy in the slightest :lolwut: . Necrophilia is wrong because it's (presumably) non-consentual violation, whereas people actively register to become an organ donor and can remove themselves at any time. They know what is going to happen and are perfectly happy with it. I don't think many people would be okay with effectively being raped after death :lolwut:

--

On an unrelated note, if anybody does want to join the register and hasn't yet got round to it for whatever reason, then you can do so here https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/ :smile: . It's really easy and only takes a couple of minutes; you just have to put in your details and tick which organs you'd like to donate, and they send you a donor card about a week later. Even if just one person signed up as a result of reading this post then that would be awesome.

So. Much. This.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been meaning to register as an organ donor for ages, so thanks for reminding me. I personally agree with everything you've said, as an atheist myself I can't really see any downside to giving any of my healthful organs to others in need when I die. :smile:
Well, I'd only give my organs to someone I know and I deem to be worthy of them.

I don't care if that's selfish, like even though I said I wouldn't want to give my organs after I die, I would if it was to save some friends. Although my organs are pretty **** anyway I assume lol

But I wouldn't want them going to a stranger, but that's against protocol like I'm not meant to know.
Well, I'd only give my organs to someone I know and I deem to be worthy of them.

I don't care if that's selfish, like even though I said I wouldn't want to give my organs after I die, I would if it was to save some friends. Although my organs are pretty **** anyway I assume lol

But I wouldn't want them going to a stranger, but that's against protocol like I'm not meant to know.

No offense but I'm a bit suspicious that this is your muslim upbringing speaking.

Just saying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

...People in need of organ transplants aren't being punished, y'know. And it's not up to you to decide whether or not they're worthy of being saved. Being in a position to save the lives of others after your death doesn't give you the moral high ground over people unfortunate enough to be seriously ill.

My organs are also pretty ****. I have had heart surgery in the past. I've also received blood transfusions, making me ineligible to donate blood (and presumably organs, however it's not mentioned anywhere that I've seen hence I'm still on the list) as there's a risk I could transmit vCJD. That doesn't matter. If my organs aren't used then fine, nothing changes. If they are used, then that's great. I'd like to think that my death could have some benefit to other people, and perhaps it will, but if not then nothing will change.
No offense but I'm a bit suspicious that this is your muslim upbringing speaking.

Just saying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Organ transplants are actually allowed.

...People in need of organ transplants aren't being punished, y'know. And it's not up to you to decide whether or not they're worthy of being saved. Being in a position to save the lives of others after your death doesn't give you the moral high ground over people unfortunate enough to be seriously ill.

My organs are also pretty ****. I have had heart surgery in the past. I've also received blood transfusions, making me ineligible to donate blood as there's a risk I could transmit vCJD. That doesn't matter. If my organs aren't used then fine, nothing changes. If they are used, then that's great. I'd like to think that my death could have some benefit to other people, and perhaps it will, but if not then nothing will change.

Well unless I know them I wouldn't want to give them. For example, if someone's damaged their own organs, they sure as hell aren't getting mine. It'd have to be someone I care about, or someone who has done nothing wrong.
Well unless I know them I wouldn't want to give them. For example, if someone's damaged their own organs, they sure as hell aren't getting mine. It'd have to be someone I care about, or someone who has done nothing wrong.

If someone has damaged their own organs then I'd be glad for them to have mine so that they can have a second chance and not die prematurely like I presumably did.

I care about everybody :smile:

Also doing 'something wrong' is veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery subjective.

Perhaps one day, *:・゚✧ Modern Technology *:・゚✧ such as 3D printing will significantly reduce the need for donors. But until then I can't promise that I'm not gonna be mauled to death my a bull or something.
If someone has damaged their own organs then I'd be glad for them to have mine so that they can have a second chance and not die prematurely like I presumably did.

I care about everybody :smile:

Also doing 'something wrong' is veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery subjective.

Perhaps one day, *:・゚✧ Modern Technology *:・゚✧ such as 3D printing will significantly reduce the need for donors. But until then I can't promise that I'm not gonna be mauled to death my a bull or something.

Hmmmm no, my organs, I should be allowed to choose. The only problem I see is me talking to people to see if they deserve it gives them hope which may be false and that's not fair.

I'd rather put my life into creating things like that than just giving mine when I die
Hmmmm no, my organs, I should be allowed to choose. The only problem I see is me talking to people to see if they deserve it gives them hope which may be false and that's not fair.

I'd rather put my life into creating things like that than just giving mine when I die

Ooooh, I know! You could run a little competition! 'Kidney Come Dancing', perhaps? Judge people according to how many kittens they've rescued from burning buildings and how many elderly ladies they've helped to cross the road. Winner gets a pancreas and a recording contract :biggrin: Move over Simon Cowell!
Ooooh, I know! You could run a little competition! 'Kidney Come Dancing', perhaps? Judge people according to how many kittens they've rescued from burning buildings and how many elderly ladies they've helped to cross the road. Winner gets a pancreas and a recording contract :biggrin: Move over Simon Cowell!

Why would they get a recording contract for a dancing show? Other than that, sounds great. Might try it

Latest