The Student Room Group

Do You Like Electronic Music?

It's become really popular these days, and I've tried but I just can't like it :frown:

Anyone here who does appreciate it? Am I listening to the wrong electronic music? lol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I love it. :smile:
Original post by BreakingBadx
It's become really popular these days, and I've tried but I just can't like it :frown:

Anyone here who does appreciate it? Am I listening to the wrong electronic music? lol

Bit of a broad definition. I like some. I dislike others.
Reply 3
EDM or just any electronic music?

This is a pretty calm tune :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Mad Vlad
Bit of a broad definition. I like some. I dislike others.

Ruthless Dutchman
x

Stuff like Autechre, Boards of Canada, the things the hipsters I know listen to. I dunno exactly what bracket they fall under :redface:

Thanks, that Netsky song is good :biggrin: Any similiar artists you'd recommend?
[video]http://youtube.com/watch?v=mZsH7Zbeq-4[/video]
Reply 6
2 Bears, Kygo and Above and Beyond
Reply 7
Same here OP, I just don't see the appeal.
Reply 8
Stuff like Autechre, Boards of Canada, the things the hipsters I know listen to. I dunno exactly what bracket they fall under :redface:

Thanks, that Netsky song is good :biggrin: Any similiar artists you'd recommend?

This is a long looking list but I actually had to cut it in half once I noticed there were waaay too many, but let me know which ones you like from this list :smile:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

If there is any type of electronic music you will like then its Progressive House, melodic and often quite poppy with some great vocals. If you use spotify check out my playlist you might like it but don't like it because of the hype :smile:

Progressive Pop

There is also House (so many types), DnB, Trance, I'm sure there is something you can find to enjoy. Personally Trance is my favourite genre of music along side Prog House.
(edited 9 years ago)

I have an encyclopaedic knowledge of electronic music; what is it you're looking for, exactly?
Reply 11
Autechre, Boards of Canada, The Flashbulb, Squarepusher and uZiq all come under the (awfully named) IDM subgenre.

They also tend to hold a steep barrier to entry and they're the type of thing you either love or don't see the point in.

Electronic music is a massively unspecific term to use, though - electronic covers anything from your general brostep tracks to classic house, electro swing, glitch hop and e everything in between.

If you enjoyed Netsky you'll probably enjoy many of the poppier drum n bass tracks and possibly liquid DnB.

DnB Chart favourites in the last year that you might like/recognize could be Rudimental, Nero and Chase & Status, although the latter two tend to have harsher-sounding songs that fit better to live gig settings.
(edited 9 years ago)
I've listened to a little but it's not for me. Sounds too harsh and repetitive most of the time. I don't like repeating sounds or patterns in music, I like it to be totally different and varied from second to second.
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
This is a long looking list but I actually had to cut it in half once I noticed there were waaay too many, but let me know which ones you like from this list :smile:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Thanks so much, man! :biggrin: + repped

Here are my favourites from the above:

-That Shooting Stars one (the first one) was amazing
-Love Don't Stop too, remember it from when I was younger! :smile: And Rather Be was my favourite song of the summer :yep:
-Electronic Lover was pretty cool. I like songs with lyrics lol
-Midnight City is amazing (it's the theme song from MIC haha)

I don't know which sub-genres those fall under (I barely know anything about music), but any further recommendations would be awesome thanks :biggrin:
Original post by Profesh
I have an encyclopaedic knowledge of electronic music; what is it you're looking for, exactly?

Thanks :smile: I don't exactly know, sorry... Just something that's considered electronic but that I still like? I liked some of the songs Ruthless Dutchman posted above (see my post) if that's any help :redface:

I don't like things that sound like a random collection of beats put together (like what Autechre etc. seem to put out). I like things like this:

[video="youtube;ti-39pAqel8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti-39pAqel8[/video]
Original post by TheNacho63
If there is any type of electronic music you will like then its Progressive House, melodic and often quite poppy with some great vocals. If you use spotify check out my playlist you might like it but don't like it because of the hype :smile:

Progressive Pop

There is also House (so many types), DnB, Trance, I'm sure there is something you can find to enjoy. Personally Trance is my favourite genre of music along side Prog House.

Thanks, I'm on Spotify so I'll give that a check :smile: Trance is really good, yeah :yep:
Original post by Kaiju
Autechre, Boards of Canada, The Flashbulb, Squarepusher and uZiq all come under the (awfully named) IDM subgenre.

They also tend to hold a steep barrier to entry and they're the type of thing you either love or don't see the point in.

Electronic music is a massively unspecific term to use, though - electronic covers anything from your general brostep tracks to classic house, electro swing, glitch hop and e everything in between.

If you enjoyed Netsky you'll probably enjoy many of the poppier drum n bass tracks and possibly liquid DnB.

DnB Chart favourites in the last year that you might like/recognize could be Rudimental, Nero and Chase & Status, although the latter two tend to have harsher-sounding songs that fit better to live gig settings.

Yeah, I've tried but I can only like a couple of their songs (at best :lol:)

Love Rudimental & Nero, Chase & Status not so much :smile: Any others you'd recommend? Thanks :biggrin:
huge electronic fan checking in :cool: personally i'm more of a fan of chilled or darker stuff (j kenzo, kaiju, afx, xxyyxx)

if you post a link to some stuff you like, i'll try and recommend some similar stuff :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Powpowpowpowpow
I've listened to a little but it's not for me. Sounds too harsh and repetitive most of the time. I don't like repeating sounds or patterns in music, I like it to be totally different and varied from second to second.

Yeah, the stuff I've listened to at least mostly isn't for me :s-smilie:

What kind of music do you like? Post vids here if you like :biggrin:
Original post by Arithmeticae
huge electronic fan checking in :cool:

if you post a link to some stuff you like, i'll try and recommend some similar stuff :tongue:

Sweet, thanks :biggrin:

I like Take Over Control by Afrojack (posted a link in my reply to Profesh above - sorry, TSR is only allowing me to post one video per post for some reason! :eek:). Nero's "Promises" and "Me & You" are great too. And Madeon's "Finale" if that counts as electronic? Also, these ones from the ones Ruthless Dutchman posted:

-That Shooting Stars one (the first one) was amazing
-Love Don't Stop too, remember it from when I was younger! :smile: And Rather Be was my favourite song of the summer
-Electronic Lover was pretty cool. I like songs with lyrics lol
-Midnight City is amazing (it's the theme song from MIC haha)

Quick Reply

Latest